“Train wreck” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Lake Forest, United States
“Train wreck”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel was nice. The staff was great to help with an early check in, clean and comfortable. But there is a train that comes in right outside this hotel. It was particularly nice when the train blew its whistle. I should have known when I saw the ear plugs, but I never guessed my room was right outside of a train coming and going.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear "Stephanie C" I truly apologize for any inconvenience to you during your stay due to the train lines that pass behind us. I appreciate your comment about the staff and that makes me feel better. If you will give us your consideration in the near future, please contact me and I will block you towards the front of the hotel. Thank you for your review and your business!

Miguel Rojas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

the location of this hotel in San Diego is what makes it so desirable to visit. If you are fit you can walk to the bay and enjoy the water, the long ship Star of India, the aircraft carrier Midway. More waling will get you to most of the main attractions of the city including Gas lamp quarters, South point Village, Downtown. Varity of affordable transportation is available to visit Old Town, little Italy and Sea World. The staff at the hotel are very helpful and friendly. They help you with a smile and go an xtra mile to to answer your query . Enjoy your stay in San Diego and stop worrying and getting stressed as a tourist or visitor

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Nurul R", I appreciate your comments about the staff at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown! Thank you for your business and for the great review and for pointing out the positives of our nearby area . I hope the next time you have an occasion that brings you to sunny San Diego, you will give us your consideration.

Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Although the hotel is clean, comfortable and the staff was great (easiest check in every!) it was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at. We should have known when we saw the earplugs on the bedside table! All night we could clearly hear the drive thru orders from the fast food joint next door. We could also hear the beeping from the crosswalk. Then there were the trains coming thru. To drown it out the air conditioner would come on and, being very loud, would drown out the outside noise for awhile. Seriously, some good insulated windows would cut down the noise considerably. What could be a really nice hotel stay was ruined by the noise from outside.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Tracie C" I want to thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel, and for your business. I appreciate your high marks on the items which our staff can control. I am really sorry that our hotel did not meet your needs in terms of quietness. Since the implementation of the 24 hour "quiet zone" things seem to have gotten better, but some of our guest do share your sentiments that the crossing guards are irritating. Thank you again, and should you ever give us your consideration again, please outreach to me so that I can block you away from the back of the hotel.

South Bend, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Located near the Airport with convenient airport shuttle, a short walk from many places to eat. Staff was extremely helpful. The Rooms are comfortable and clean. This is a good place to stay when you have an early morning flight out of San Diego or attending a convention.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Joseph O' thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for your review. We get many travelers such as you that utilize our hotel for the convenience of being so close to the airport and I am glad you found us. See you next time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Hotel Staff is very pleasant and provided great services - Thank you and hope to come back one day. although the Hotel is in great location and near the airport, there is not much noise coming from the airplanes. The room was fairly clean and the room services were exceptional.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "kishenaw" thank you for your kind words about the staff of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for your business. I am sorry that you found our hotel to be noisy, but I am glad of the high marks you still gave us for what I think was service. I hope that when your travels bring you to San Diego you will give is your consideration.

Corona, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for only one night. Nice decor, friendly staff. Hefty parking fee especially that we had two cars. A little over priced for value. Quality of breakfast items were a little less than other breakfast included hotels. Nice little park right in front of the hotel. I would stay here again if it was slightly less expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MStraveller26
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear "MStraveller26", yours is the second comment that has to do with the breakfast so I would appreciate hearing from you by telephone about it. I am sorry that you did not find our hotel as much of a value. I am happy that it seems you were able to enjoy the newest addition to our area, the Waterfront Park which opened May 10. I hope that we did enough to earn your future business.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have been to this location 3 times for Rock r' Roll Marathon, and this is right in Little Italy that only 3 stops from Convention Center via the MTS. And every night I can just walk to different restaurants, bars, and not worry about drinking & driving. Room is clean, staffs are friendly, and you also get free wifi & free shuttle to the airport. Before I checked into Hampton, I was staying at Hyatt for 2 nights where parking cost $ 28 per night and wifi $ 10 per day. Also free breakfast starts at 6:00a, waffle, scramble eggs, and great coffee!! The only downside is it's near the railroad track so light sleeper may have an issue with that. Hotel did provide ear plugs, but I didn't need it since I was dead tired from the marathons. LOL..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Michele S', I hope that your sleep did not get disrupted sufficiently to detract from your performance at the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. I hope you accomplished your goal. I am glad that the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown gave you a good value, it is one of our goals to strike a good balance. I hope we can serve you again the in next RNR marathon you participate.