“Highly recommend”

Ranked #67 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Honolulu
“Highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there last minute Saturday night and they were able to accommodate me and give me a very nice room that was close to the gaslamp district as well as the pier. It was a great location. The room was clean and the bed was soooo comfortable. The woman who helped me at the front desk was very helpful and kind. I highly recommend this place if you want an affordable hotel that is still safe and comfortable

• Stayed June 2014
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear "hailey_04", I thank you for your patronage of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, especially since it was last minute and it is always great to get last minute business. I am glad that we were a good fit and if you remember who the nice woman at check in was (I have many) I'd love to know.

Miguel Rojas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This Hampton Inn really stood out, head and shoulders, over all the properties of similar class in San Diego. We received warm, friendly service from both Blanca and Nic, which tells me they do a wonderful job training their staff. I was also very impressed with our room. Very comfortable and very inviting. This will be my "go to" place from now on whenever I'm in San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear "Jeff K" thank you so very much for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, and for your review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you mentioned some of our staff. I hope we'll see you again soon!

Prescott, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great location, close to cruise ships and walking distance to Little Italy and Seaport Village and just a short cab ride downtown. Easy access from freeway and to other day trips. Clean, safe are and the train station just across the street too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Gary S" thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for writing your review! I hope the next time you go on a cruise, you will opt to stay with us as we have the complimentary shuttle to the pier. Thank you!

Tucson, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

An explanation of why there are ear plugs would have been helpful, perhaps consider updating your website to reflect that the hotel is near the railroad tracks and you can hear the trains and horns hence the reason for ear plugs. Also the noise from the outside hall and next door neighbors was nearly unbearable. The ear plugs were nice but didn't help much for any of the noise. Something was seriously wrong with the elevators on the left and right as they didn't quite line up with the floors and jumped when the doors closed. Only the middle elevator gave us a sense that it was safe. The other two where jumpy and every time we rode them my wife yelped because it felt as if we were falling. I was also not aware of the tight parking spaces. My truck took up two spaces due to the small tight spots and then leaving the garage was extremely difficult as everyone was parked on the ramps because there were not enough spots. Consider recommending the parking garage across the street (which was $2 cheaper and roomier) for guest with bigger vehicles. Finally enforce parking rules so people without tags are ticketed and or towed so there is not over-crowding. Very difficult to maneuver in the garage. I wished I had stayed elsewhere as I probably would've had a better overall stay, which I did the second night, I moved to the Residence Inn down the street. Sure I paid more for parking but oh what a better experience and NO NOISE!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Mark G", first and foremost thank you for having stayed with us and given us an opportunity during your recent visit. I am really sorry that you found our hotel to be noisy, This is the top 1 complaint that we get. While we do have verbiage about the train on the web site, perhaps it could be updated to be more specific. I am also sorry you had trouble with the garage and the elevators. I assure you that the elevators are safe as they get monthly maintenance and checks by a qualified elevator maintenance company. Sorry about the garage, I understand how frustrating it is to navigate to it. I am sorry that likely we will not be earning your return business, but again thank you for this opportunity.

Clovis, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My experience at the Hampton has always been the best stays ever. Hampton has always been one of my first choices when searching for a hotel stay for business or family time. Just the whole experience is absolutely GREAT from the bedrooms to breakfast in the morning. I recommend these facilities to anyone that is looking for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Raul C", thank you so very much for your review and your patronage. All I can say is I hope that we earned your repeat business at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown!

Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel is located centrally in San Diego with a very short walk to Little Italy and a short trolley ride to central San Diego. Watch out for the trains though. The hotel thoughtfully provides ear plugs which if you can sleep with I would advise that you do as the trains start at about 0400h. The rooms are nice the hotel is standard Hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Lola28chicago", yours is a great tip to potential travelers and guests of our hotel. I know a good night's rest is important to people and a tip such as yours enables guests to be better informed about our accommodations and the possibility of requesting rooms away from the train lines. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have done enough to earn your return business.

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel location is excellent, it's very clean, the shuttle service is outstanding, the staff was very helpful, and the breakfast is good. The street noise is pretty loud. Ask for a room a the front of the hotel. The back is next to the trolley and Amtrak.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Lola28chicago" thank you kindly for your review of our hotel and for you business! I am glad to read that you enjoyed most aspect of your stay with us and found the stay to be great. Please give us your consideration for your future travel plans.