“Trains run 24/7”

Ranked #67 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Oakland, California
“Trains run 24/7”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is located near the San Diego airport but right behind a set of railroad tracks. The trains run 24/7 and I literally mean 24/7. Thank God, the trains dont blow their whistles but the gate bells are constantly ringing. They ring all day and all night long. The sound is so loud that they drown out the noise from the jets landing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear "Joe A", thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay and for your patronage, I really appreciate it. I apologize for the noise associated with the train lines behind the hotel. For those member of this community considering staying with us, please make ask for rooms away from the back and this will help greatly, but unfortunately you will still be able to hear some noise. We cannot promise that you will get rooms in the front, but we definitely will try if that request is made.

Miguel Rojas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Do not come here. The parking is terrible. We had to 1st find a spot in their garage. That was about 30 minutes. Then we had to make a determination as to whether we could fit into the spot (the same problem all the other cars were having, driving around the garage).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "861tammy7" thank your taking the time to review our hotel for the members of this site. and for your patronage. I am really sorry that our parking facilities were inadequate. One way that we could resolve this issue is by using a valet service, but to do so would mean a substantial price increase of parking for our guests and hence opt not to go this route. Being that we are so close to the airport and have a courtesy van from there most times parking is not problem but there are times like summer travel and major holidays where in the interest of full disclosure we admit that this is a problem. We will limit the number of vehicles to one per room as a measure to help. If otherwise you enjoyed this area and other aspects, I would invite you to consider us in the future for stays on in season.

Austin, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The staff helped provide us with a quiet room that was perfect for us, and also with information to help us get around to the activities in the area. They checked with us each day. The breakfast was great. It is really nice to have a hot breakfast, with enough food that enables you to get through a morning of activities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Melanie L", thank you, thank you, thank you, that is all I can say to your great review on this site. Well, aside from thank you for deciding to stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown!

Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Four of us stayed here when going to watch the Dbacks beat the Padres in June 2014. The hotel and room was impeccably clean, the staff was friendly and proficient, and the price was decent too.

We were on the 5th floor, so any train noise was not an issue for us. If you're heading to PetCo Park, there's a trolley stop right behind the hotel, and walking to it is not an issue at all. You're right at the Little Italy stop, and you just need to take the Trolley down to the GasLight stop.

The only minor negatives to point out are the $12/day parking fee in a potentially very crowded garage parking lot. The spots are tight, so I had my wife direct my 9 point back out maneuver so I wouldn't tap any bumpers :-)
The other catch is that you'll want to hit the continental breakfast early. It gets very crowded around 8am, but even with ample seating, it gets busy at the waffle iron. 7am was empty for us.

The USS Midway Museum and Maritime Museum are within walking distance. There is also an outdoor pool on the 2nd floor, but it's pretty small.

To sum up, it's clean, comfy, with friendly staff, a good breakfast, and close to some good downtown San Diego attractions. Stay and enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear "John P" thank you for hitting the mostly good, the somewhat bad, and the practically non-existent ugly! I appreciate and I think the community will too the extensive review. I am glad that we were able to earn high marks from a top contributor. We hope to serve you again in the near future at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown!

Miguel Rojas.
Honolulu
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there last minute Saturday night and they were able to accommodate me and give me a very nice room that was close to the gaslamp district as well as the pier. It was a great location. The room was clean and the bed was soooo comfortable. The woman who helped me at the front desk was very helpful and kind. I highly recommend this place if you want an affordable hotel that is still safe and comfortable

• Stayed June 2014
Dear "hailey_04", I thank you for your patronage of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, especially since it was last minute and it is always great to get last minute business. I am glad that we were a good fit and if you remember who the nice woman at check in was (I have many) I'd love to know.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This Hampton Inn really stood out, head and shoulders, over all the properties of similar class in San Diego. We received warm, friendly service from both Blanca and Nic, which tells me they do a wonderful job training their staff. I was also very impressed with our room. Very comfortable and very inviting. This will be my "go to" place from now on whenever I'm in San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear "Jeff K" thank you so very much for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, and for your review. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you mentioned some of our staff. I hope we'll see you again soon!

Prescott, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great location, close to cruise ships and walking distance to Little Italy and Seaport Village and just a short cab ride downtown. Easy access from freeway and to other day trips. Clean, safe are and the train station just across the street too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Gary S" thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for writing your review! I hope the next time you go on a cruise, you will opt to stay with us as we have the complimentary shuttle to the pier. Thank you!