“Stayed at Nicer Hampton Inns...”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #74 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed at nicer Hampton Inns but during Comincon...it is what it is! Room we had was...S-M-A-L-L...pretty sure it wasn't meant for two queen beds. Furniture was hanging by a thread...pretty sure that someone before us broke the bed (I DO NOT want to know :) ) The AC worked ok...we like it cool but didn't get really cool at all! Husband is a Hilton Honors Diamond level member...so we have stayed at multiple Hilton chains..this one is not typical...its an older hotel that they have tried to make new. Parking SUCKS!!! The hotel only has so many spots for parking and shouldn't be making people pay when all the spots are taken!!! There was someone who had to park in front of the elevators on G2 because there was no other place to park. Card swipe didn't work from parking garage as other poster said...just went to room levels. Food was typical...not great but way better than continental!

Room Tip: We had our room right pool side so we didn't hear the trains...hope that helps!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear "Dannielle B", your review touches on a very important point that this community will likely find useful: our parking lot is small and at times of high demand deficient and two that we are in need of a renovation. I was fortunate to walk through the hotel with ownership just this week to discuss our needs and the possibility of getting on the renovation schedule. Unfortunately this will not be able to address parking, but for that I hope to establish a relationship with a public parking lot that is currently being constructed right behind us. Please extend my apologies to your husband and thank you for your business!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel rates are quite expensive because of its location. There are plusses and negatives in this hotel. Positives: 1.Location- cross the street and you are right in the action where the harbor is. It's walking distance to the Broadway harbor for the ferry that takes you to Coronado. 2. The decor is quite nice and trendy 3. Breakfast was ample. Negatives: 1. Parking is tight and elevator from parking garage takes you directly to the room floors. It's supposed to require "swipe key" to get up to room floors, however, I used it many times from the garage without the key and the elevator was operational. 2. Walls are so flimsy- I literally could hear the people above me talk about their shoe purchase at 2:00 with such clarity and a neighboring room having a conversation about work. 3. Price is quite steep- we moved to the brand new Hampton Inn Mission on the third day. 4. No privacy- your window looks out to another building (not sure if it's a Hampton Annex) where the only thing that separates you is a courtyard smaller than a person's personal backyard. Better not leave that window open or peeping toms can definitely observe your every move.5. Train tracks are right there so be ready to tune out the train noise regularly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amerasiangirl

Dear “Amerasiangirl", your review touches on many important points for potential guests to consider and I appreciate the thorough nature of it. I will just touch on the two major things that I want you to know about our hotel that you comment. One is that we do need to be renovated at which time we will be getting better privacy window treatments. Two is that should you consider staying with us again I would like to encourage you to contact the hotel so that we can try to block you further away from the train lines. I appreciate your business and the candid feedback for those out there that are considering this property in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great location, comfortable rooms, helpful and friendly staff, at a fair price. I would recommend this hotel is you have planned activities in and around Downtown, Coronado, the Harbor, and Balboa Park. Close to the Airport as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank James N

Dear "James N", thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for your business, I hope we have earned your repeat business!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I want to start out by saying do not be swayed from staying here by reading reviews that site loud train sounds or lack of breakfast/seating. I don't want to call anyone a liar, but I must say I found my room very quiet (the air conditioner was running, but nothing pierced above it, nor was there a lot of excess sound when it stopped.) Additionally, I stayed during Comic Con when every room was booked. I had NO problem sitting in the breakfast area, always found empty seats, and the food was constantly stocked and different items were provided daily for variety. Oatmeal, fruit, waffles (which you make yourself through use of a three minute timer!), eggs and a meat option (along with the usual muffins, bagels, etc.)
I was booked into a King room, which had a comfortable couch (which opened into a bed if needed) and a coffee table in addition to the usual furnishings. The bed was extremely comfortable (although I would have enjoyed a more standard pillow than the four small, extremely soft pillows). Good shower pressure and roomy, although no tub (not a disappointment for me.) Pool and gym were open from 6am to 10pm which offered plenty of options. The staff were friendly and accommodating and able to easily answer any question. I had restful sleep and felt completely at home here. I would certainly have no problem returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to be away from the train tracks to be certain not to hear the train, ask for a room fac...
1  Thank chickenoregg

Dear "chickenoregg", thank you so much for your business and for the review. I am glad to see that you liked so many of the things the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown has to offer. I hope we can serve your accommodation needs in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had seen the pictures and knew that the building was old. The pictures of the room looked a little dated, so I did not know what to expect. We were travelling with our adult daughter on business and needed a suite within walking distance to downtown center. There two HUGE rooms and even a half bath in the extra one. There two sleeper sofas in one room with the half bath, TV table, kitchen area with microwave and fridge.

The carpets were quite new, the bathrooms were spacious and modern. Our room with the king bed had a chaise lounge in it and could easily have fit another bed. There was a nice desk. The bed was very comfortable. It is probably time to get new sleeper sofas.

Our area was very quiet. Just ask for a room on the side without the train. The rooms were immaculate and the staff super friendly. We took the train in the first morning. It is $2 one way or $1 for seniors. So convenient. It runs every 15 minutes. At night it is every 30 minutes. We walked home very safely at 10:30 at night and it took about 15 minutes from the convention area.

This would be a perfect place for a large family. A family of 7 would be very comfortable and the price of a suite here was much much lower than the hotels right downtown.

I would highly recommend it to anyone not looking for a "luxury" hotel.

Room Tip: Our corner suite looked out at the bay on one side and the pool on the other. Very sunny and nice...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear "worldtraveler894", I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised by what it sounds like to me receiving an upgrade into one of our suites. I am glad that you enjoyed the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and hope that we can serve you again. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

There are plenty of good things to say about this property, so let's start there.

The location, near both the Gaslamp District and Little Italy, is terrific. You're within walking distance of essentially everything in downtown San Diego.

Front desk and shuttle service are prompt and friendly. In fact, the front desk staff might be the nicest set of folks I've met in quite some time. The water pressure from both the shower and sink are fantastic. Shower area is appropriate both for persons of height and size. Amenities are standard Hampton fare. The free breakfast is average (kudos to whoever thought to add gluten free Rice Crispies cereal. That's a nice touch).

Though the beds are stiff, also a standard Hampton Inn feature, the blackout curtains do their job and do their job well. Sure, the rooms could use a refresh, but it isn't a world ender. The air conditioning works like a charm.

Even the daily parking fee, considering you're staying in a major metropolitan downtown, isn't egregious.

The hotel even does a good job of insulating you from hallway noise. You will seldom hear either your neighbors or people walking down the hallway.

What you will hear, and this strikes you as soon as you walk into your room and find that housekeeping supplies you with earplugs, is outside noise and a lot of it. Both the light rail and the trolley go right behind the hotel, all night, so you get the pleasure of hearing the train whistles and ringing of bells of train signals 24/7, along with the occasional boom of the trains passing through (think of it as someone shooting off a canon a respectable distance away).

The noise is the only real significant deterrent here and this, along with the dated looking/feeling room, knocks this down to "only" a three star property. If you aren't a light sleeper and the location/rate works for you, then feel free to stay. But if you are, this property may not be your best choice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear "cromartie", I am glad to see that your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown includes many positive comments as well as some "buyer beware"-type comments such as noise. I am happy that the train situation was your main concern as this tells me the staff is doing the best they can. I hope we have earned your future business!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for a recent wedding at the Maritime Museum and it was ideally located. I was concerned about the train noises but they were not really an issue for us. We just kept the windows closed. They do have earplugs on the table just in case. Little Italy is a few blocks away and super easy to walk to for food and livelihood. Green Line train is behind the hotel and will take you just about anywhere you need to go. Children's park is across the street and the waterfront just beyond it. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is suppose to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear "JL" I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and the park across the street. This has been a great addition to our area and hope that our guests will continue to enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for your review and your business. Hopefully we will see you again soon at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown!