“Always a nice stay”

Ranked #66 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
honolulu, United States
“Always a nice stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hotel is very convenient to many attractions. I always come for business at the convention center and it is about a 15 minute walk or sometimes the hotel shuttle van takes me there if they're not busy. Breakfast is great, the extra benefits for Diamond members are great, BUT they really need to do something about the parking. It is very tough during peak times to find a good parking. The stalls are too small and there aren't enough stalls. Also the gym could have more equipment in there. Overall it's still a great hotel that I would stay at again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear "Patrick W", first thank you for being a Hilton Hhonors member and for booking our property! I appreciate you business and the time to complete this review. I am sorry about the parking situation at our hotel as it is an issue in high demand days. In the near future we look forward to a new public parking lot under construction that will be opening that is right behind the hotel to provide some much needed relief. Hopefully by summer of 2015 it will be up and running. As a Hilton Hhonors member I know you have many choices in San Diego and I appreciate that you stayed with us, hopefully we can serve you again!

Miguel Rojas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Dutchess County, NY
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for one night after a late arrival from San Diego airport. Two Queen bed room was clean, if a bit tight. Bedding was very comfortable. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Morning breakfast was great (lots of choices), but gets crowded after 8 AM. Breakfast items were continually replenished and the area was kept very neat. There is a daily parking fee, but also a free airport shuttle. We called the hotel when we arrived and the shuttle picked us up within 30 minutes. Evening driver assisted with our bags and was very engaging. We signed up for the morning shuttle back to the airport the next day, and the morning driver also assisted with bags and was very friendly. Other reviews have noted exterior noise...I *did* notice the earplugs and sound machine (not working) in the room, but didn't realize there was a train line in back of the hotel until I read the reviews. Then I looked out my window and sure enough, there was a train rumbling by. I can say it did not affect our sleep at all. Rates seem to go up a lot for the weekend, but this was a great value for a weekday. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear "Bill2601", I was glad to read your review of the Hampton inn San Diego Downtown, it was great to see that despite the proximity of your room to the train line that your sleep was not disrupted. Thanks for the comments about the staff friendliness and for your business and review. I is my sincere hope that we can get the opportunity to serve you again.

Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed at nicer Hampton Inns but during Comincon...it is what it is! Room we had was...S-M-A-L-L...pretty sure it wasn't meant for two queen beds. Furniture was hanging by a thread...pretty sure that someone before us broke the bed (I DO NOT want to know :) ) The AC worked ok...we like it cool but didn't get really cool at all! Husband is a Hilton Honors Diamond level member...so we have stayed at multiple Hilton chains..this one is not typical...its an older hotel that they have tried to make new. Parking SUCKS!!! The hotel only has so many spots for parking and shouldn't be making people pay when all the spots are taken!!! There was someone who had to park in front of the elevators on G2 because there was no other place to park. Card swipe didn't work from parking garage as other poster said...just went to room levels. Food was typical...not great but way better than continental!

Room Tip: We had our room right pool side so we didn't hear the trains...hope that helps!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear "Dannielle B", your review touches on a very important point that this community will likely find useful: our parking lot is small and at times of high demand deficient and two that we are in need of a renovation. I was fortunate to walk through the hotel with ownership just this week to discuss our needs and the possibility of getting on the renovation schedule. Unfortunately this will not be able to address parking, but for that I hope to establish a relationship with a public parking lot that is currently being constructed right behind us. Please extend my apologies to your husband and thank you for your business!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel rates are quite expensive because of its location. There are plusses and negatives in this hotel. Positives: 1.Location- cross the street and you are right in the action where the harbor is. It's walking distance to the Broadway harbor for the ferry that takes you to Coronado. 2. The decor is quite nice and trendy 3. Breakfast was ample. Negatives: 1. Parking is tight and elevator from parking garage takes you directly to the room floors. It's supposed to require "swipe key" to get up to room floors, however, I used it many times from the garage without the key and the elevator was operational. 2. Walls are so flimsy- I literally could hear the people above me talk about their shoe purchase at 2:00 with such clarity and a neighboring room having a conversation about work. 3. Price is quite steep- we moved to the brand new Hampton Inn Mission on the third day. 4. No privacy- your window looks out to another building (not sure if it's a Hampton Annex) where the only thing that separates you is a courtyard smaller than a person's personal backyard. Better not leave that window open or peeping toms can definitely observe your every move.5. Train tracks are right there so be ready to tune out the train noise regularly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Amerasiangirl
Dear “Amerasiangirl", your review touches on many important points for potential guests to consider and I appreciate the thorough nature of it. I will just touch on the two major things that I want you to know about our hotel that you comment. One is that we do need to be renovated at which time we will be getting better privacy window treatments. Two is that should you consider staying with us again I would like to encourage you to contact the hotel so that we can try to block you further away from the train lines. I appreciate your business and the candid feedback for those out there that are considering this property in the future.

Meridian, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great location, comfortable rooms, helpful and friendly staff, at a fair price. I would recommend this hotel is you have planned activities in and around Downtown, Coronado, the Harbor, and Balboa Park. Close to the Airport as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank James N
Dear "James N", thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and for your business, I hope we have earned your repeat business!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I want to start out by saying do not be swayed from staying here by reading reviews that site loud train sounds or lack of breakfast/seating. I don't want to call anyone a liar, but I must say I found my room very quiet (the air conditioner was running, but nothing pierced above it, nor was there a lot of excess sound when it stopped.) Additionally, I stayed during Comic Con when every room was booked. I had NO problem sitting in the breakfast area, always found empty seats, and the food was constantly stocked and different items were provided daily for variety. Oatmeal, fruit, waffles (which you make yourself through use of a three minute timer!), eggs and a meat option (along with the usual muffins, bagels, etc.)
I was booked into a King room, which had a comfortable couch (which opened into a bed if needed) and a coffee table in addition to the usual furnishings. The bed was extremely comfortable (although I would have enjoyed a more standard pillow than the four small, extremely soft pillows). Good shower pressure and roomy, although no tub (not a disappointment for me.) Pool and gym were open from 6am to 10pm which offered plenty of options. The staff were friendly and accommodating and able to easily answer any question. I had restful sleep and felt completely at home here. I would certainly have no problem returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to be away from the train tracks to be certain not to hear the train, ask for a room fac...
1 Thank chickenoregg
Dear "chickenoregg", thank you so much for your business and for the review. I am glad to see that you liked so many of the things the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown has to offer. I hope we can serve your accommodation needs in the near future.

Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had seen the pictures and knew that the building was old. The pictures of the room looked a little dated, so I did not know what to expect. We were travelling with our adult daughter on business and needed a suite within walking distance to downtown center. There two HUGE rooms and even a half bath in the extra one. There two sleeper sofas in one room with the half bath, TV table, kitchen area with microwave and fridge.

The carpets were quite new, the bathrooms were spacious and modern. Our room with the king bed had a chaise lounge in it and could easily have fit another bed. There was a nice desk. The bed was very comfortable. It is probably time to get new sleeper sofas.

Our area was very quiet. Just ask for a room on the side without the train. The rooms were immaculate and the staff super friendly. We took the train in the first morning. It is $2 one way or $1 for seniors. So convenient. It runs every 15 minutes. At night it is every 30 minutes. We walked home very safely at 10:30 at night and it took about 15 minutes from the convention area.

This would be a perfect place for a large family. A family of 7 would be very comfortable and the price of a suite here was much much lower than the hotels right downtown.

I would highly recommend it to anyone not looking for a "luxury" hotel.

Room Tip: Our corner suite looked out at the bay on one side and the pool on the other. Very sunny and nice...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear "worldtraveler894", I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised by what it sounds like to me receiving an upgrade into one of our suites. I am glad that you enjoyed the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and hope that we can serve you again. Thank you for your business!