“Perfect stop over”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #74 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 6 August 2014

After a 6 1/2 hour drive on CA highways we were certainly ready to check in to our hotel room. What a pleasant surprise awaited us. Our room was spotless and refreshing. I loved the ear plugs as we were traveling with a friend who snored LOL!!! The breakfast was certainly more than adequate. The lobby was renovated within the year and I was told they were going to start on the rooms! I saw no reason for this, but who's complaining. If you want to be Downtown and walk to Little Italy you are at the right hotel. It's probably a great location to take the ferry to Coronado Island as well. We would definitely stay here the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the train might disturb some folks but we didn't experience that.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear "Kathy W", thank for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and fro your business. I am glad that you found an alternate use for the ear plugs! I hope that we have earned a repeat visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This particular Hampton Inn is located right at the Little Italy train station in downtown San Diego. Since it is that close to the tracks, expect 24/7 noise from the Red Cars, the Amtrak trains, the freight trains and anything else that uses those tracks. On the other hand, it is convenient if you plan to use the Red Car muni service in San Diego. The hotel is also within a short 2 minute walk to the Little Italy section, which is a very lively area of San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear "Mary P" thank you very much for your review of the hotel and for your business. I am sorry that the property did not meet your expectations with regards to the quietness factor. I do see that you have some positive attributes mentioned so if you should ever decide to give us another opportunity, please let let me know so that I can get you up closer to the front of the hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Really good front desk staff. In town for business and arrived on a late flight. Hotel sent a shuttle to pick me up from the airport. The driver was very courteous, informative and easy to talk too. I arrived at the hotel to and was greeted by Connie whom I had spoken to earlier when inquiring about the shuttle service. Right away she made me feel very welcomed and wanted to know if there was anything she could do to make my stay better. Above and beyond and this was just my first night. The breakfast was very good with plenty to choose from. Next time I'm in San Diego you can bet this is where I will be staying. Thanks for everything Connie, your the best.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JAMz1215

Dear "AMz1215", I am so appreciative of receiving your positive comments about our staff! I also want to thank you for your patronage of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, I hope that we will get an opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

There is probably not enough words to express my positive satisfaction with this location, from the Manager Miguel, to the girls at the front Desk Blanca and Yadira, all the people at the breakfast area, every single person in this hotel make you feel like home!!, what a nice experience, that I for sure will repeat next year. I was a formal gold Hilton Honors at one point and stay in many hotels of the brand, and I can say that this is on the top of my list!!! I will definitive recommend this hotel!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "George C", comments such as yours are humbling and they make us strive more as a staff to do better. Thank you for taking the time to review particularly the staff of Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and I really hope that we will be able to serve you again in 2015!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

in town to see Padres and this hotel is perfect. In fact I am still here. older facility but clean and comfortable. very helpful staff. I booked a double for three people and they upgraded me to two room suite on bayside. complimentary breakfast is good. one block from metro train providing access to old town; little Italy, seaport village, and Padres Petco park, along with convention center and gas lamp district. I could not be more pleased. parking slots are small but have no problem with Nissan Altima 4dr. Maritime Museum is across the street one block and walking distance to USS Midway air craft carrier about 10 minutes. shuttle to/from airport prompt and efficient. Driver very helpful with travel information.....felt welcome immediately.

Room Tip: ask for bayside room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear "zekewolf2", I was pleased to read your comments about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, thank you for taking the time to do so and most importantly for your business. Being a top contributor on this site for me makes it even more special that you felt welcomed immediately. I hope that this will be one of many future stays here. Thank you again!~

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Good: close to the harbor and little Italy. Front desk staff was superb. Breakfast was better than most Hamptons.
OK: room was basic with no frills but a big bathroom
Bad: Parking was terrible. Tight spots under the bldg and they fill up by 8:00pm which then forces you to parking against walls and sadly in the handicap spots. Noise from the train can definitely be a problem if your AC isn't cranked up.

So if you want a decent hotel in a good spot this a a nice option. It does have some quirks though.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GATravelGuy

Dear "GATravelGuy", a community such as this one provides great information for prospective guests and your review accomplishes this goal. You are able to provide a few positive attributes of staying here as well a some negatives. We are always striving to push our service, and minimize the negatives. I hope that the positives will persuade you to give us another change should your travels bring you to San Diego. Thank you for your business and your time

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were guests at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown this past week and could not have more pleased with the excellent customer service we received from the manager and staff. When we arrived we were given a room on the 5th floor to the back of the building. Our friends were put on the 3rd floor and we requested to be there too. The hotel was full to the max and it was not possible to put us together. Unfortunately we were right next to the trains tracks. The next morning my husband went to the lobby to get some of their great coffee and as he passed the front desk stopped to see if we could be moved. The manager Laurie Jann came out to assist the front desk staff and immediately said we would be moved. Laurie is an excellent manager and it certainly shows. From the well run breakfasts that are monitored by a staff member to keep the area clean and well stocked to the very friendly and efficient staff from the front desk to housekeeping, this HI is an excellent vacation destination in San Diego. Also the location is a real plus... we will certainly stay here on our next visit!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter. Air conditioning was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear "Bill R", I want to thank you for the comprehensive review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and also for your business! I am glad to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and pointed them out on this review. Laurie is ecstatic about seeing her name here and I agree that she is a great manager. Should your travels bring you to San Diego I hope that you will give us your consideration.