“Great Location and Value”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #158 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Great Location and Value”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

It is located steps away from the beach, shops and restaurants nearby. Great value for our week stay. The room is a nice size with microwave and a mini fridge which come handy with leftovers.

Overall it's a great space and we will return.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Susan E
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you very much for your very nice comments about the refrigerator and microwave. Every room has these and a coffee maker as well. And, yes, only a half of a block away from the beach!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Good location, clean but simple rooms. The rooms are smaller than average so I would suggest upgrading to a suite. Continental breakfast was just Danish's, muffins and scones. Safe location and reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank stephanie b
That is a perfect suggestion for a larger room! Thank you for staying with us!
Lincoln, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed in Room 122 which is a room with two beds that opens into the courtyard. The room was immaculate! It included a coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave. No hair dryer but luckily I had brought mine with me. Staff in the office were very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent. I was shocked to see how close to the beach the inn is located since the price was so reasonable. The location is so great and is so close to everything just about every demographic will enjoy. There are plenty of clubs and hot spots in the surrounding area for those looking to party. For someone like me who was traveling with a teenage son, there were plenty of places for families close by as well. Never had a problem with parking the four nights I stayed here. I think anyone that books the PB Surf will be pleasantly surprised. I know I plan to stay here every time I travel to the San Diego area. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us, and for your nice comments. Normally, we do have a blow dryer in the room, but there are a couple that the lighted mirror took up too much space to install. For these, we have extras at the front desk, but are happy you were prepared anyway. We hope to see you again very soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 3 December 2013

While I can't say that I received the great customer service some of the other reviewers received, I will say that the place was way better than I anticipated. Maybe I read some really old reviews and the place has since had a lot of updates.

Our room was spacious, had lots of storage space (dresser, 2 side tables, a desk and a reasonably big closet). There was a refrigerator, mircowave and coffee pot. (For you semi serious coffee drinkers, there is a Starbucks about 6 or 8 blocks down the street.) It was super clean. They bed was great. We had a king size, super comfy bed. (Also, I'm a single woman traveling with kids, safety was not a concern. I felt safe at the hotel and in the area.)

EXCELLENT BEACH LOCATION. I wish I could type that in bigger letters.

Down sides for me were few. I was given a handicap room, which would be an excellent room for a handicap person, but for me, it meant less surface space in the bathroom and a wet bathroom floor because of the roll in shower. I was really quite unhappy about that part (considering I was assigned this room because I extended my stay).

They were always short on towels (I started with exactly two in my room, but luckily I was located close to the laundry room so I was able to get clean ones every day (since I had to soak up the water from the roll in shower).

The WiFi is not free and was irregular. This one really caught me off guard because recenlty all of the places I have visited have free wifi.

There wasn't an onsite laundry room, but there was a great laundromat two blocks away (with free WiFi.) Actually, there are laundromats everywhere in the area (just like bars and tatoo parlors).

Parking is limited, so some nights you will be searching for a spot on the street.

If you are on the fence about choosing this affordable, near the beach location, no need to be. It is a great spot for the money.

Room Tip: if you don't need it, but happen to get a handicap room, you would be much happier if you ask to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sorry about the handicapped room. We are required to have a few of them for obvious reasons, and they are rarely utilized by someone who needs or requires one. However, the only real difference is the shower. The shower is much larger and is made for wheel chair access, where the others have a step over type of entry surrounded by glass rather than a curtain. If you request to not have one of those rooms, we would be more than happy to accommodate you. And, I can understand the water situation as well. I'm still not convinced the angle of the floor is sufficient to keep the water in the shower. As for the Internet, I am seriously working on making this complimentary. Thank you very much for staying with us!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at the begining of November. Despite the long the flight from Toronto its was great staying here in a place where its very clean and modern. From the moment we checked in the staff was amazing, as they were very kind and made the check in process a breeze. The staff were very attentive to our needs and we defientely will come here again the next time we visit San Diego.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew O
I'm glad we were able to make your experience with us a very nice one! Especially the part about travelling and being able to get checked into your room promptly! Thank you!
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through one of the Trip Advisor Partners approx $90 per night for one person off season, queen bed. Compared to your typical Beach Hotel in the area... Well... There is no comparison... Everything is updated, clean, sharp and modern. From the newly tarred parking lot with crisp white lines to the glass door showers with spotless grout and tile within. Half Engineered wood floors half carpet, nice French style wood blinds on all the windows which contain not a speck of dust... New doors, new fixtures, fine place.. overall well decorated, modern and fashionable but not over the top... Spartan in a sense but with some nice finishing a all around.

It was obvious the second I walked through the parking lot and into the Hotel Office that somebody cares about this place as a Hotel Property and a Business. This is not a luxury accommodation but neither is the price.

The cliff/beach overlook is just 100 yards down the road, so you're in the center of everything PB has to offer.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Booogiemann
Thank you for your very descriptive comments about our rooms! We do hope you will come back again very soon!
Wiltshire
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of a 2 week road trip around California and Arizona. The hotel was immaculate and a brilliant location a minute walk from the beach. The beach was superb and an amazing sunset by the pier. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel and we got a great rate through expedia. The buses were brilliant and the day pass for 7 dollars is well worth it to get downtown to gas lamp area etc. bus 8 takes you to Mission Beach and 30 to downtown...frequent and stops nearby.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandra0
Yes, the location is great for the beach and for the bus line. The bus stops only one block from the property and accesses almost any location you may want to venture to. Thank you for staying with us!