PB Surf Beachside Inn
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$240
US$191
  • Pool
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$337
US$330
  • Pool
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$250
  • Room Service
US$262
US$179
  • Breakfast included
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$179
Great 4.5/5
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$191
US$795
US$674
Excellent 5/5
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$350
US$326
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewspacific beachsister propertymini fridgerestaurants barswalking distancethird floortwo blockscan't beat the locationgreat ratecontinental breakfastclean hotelbed was very comfortablestreet parkingcoffee makerla jollamotelproximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had a bad experience with this hotel. I said to the guy at check-in that I opted to pay my stay in cash, and he still asked for my credit card. When I checked out (I actually paid in cash), an amount of money (the same as in the bill) was still taken from, and then returned to my credit card, resulting in a loss of EUR 23 ($30) from my bank account. The woman at reception desk told me that the process is automatic and she can do nothing. It's really unacceptable, and this is the first time in my life I've experienced such ironic problem with a hotel. I believe that this was a mistake and doubt that the receptionist was honest with her answer.

I detected the loss several days after I left the hotel, and tried to contact the hotel for this. Surprisingly, I didn't find any contacting email of the hotel. I tried to contact one of their receptionists for notifying the problem (I get her email address during my stay). However, I haven't received any response so far.

Regarding the hotel, it's very far from downtown and main attractions of San Diego. The wall is thin so that you may wake up during the night for the noise from the neighbours. The window opens to a shared corridor so that we had to close it everytime.

Given the conditions of the hotel, and its unprofessional staffs, I would never choose this hotel again when I return to San Diego.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

We are still sorry about the charge, and the immediate credit back to your credit card. It was definitely a mistake by us, and we do take responsibility for that. The good news is that I have agreed to pay for your loss and again do apologize for the brief mistake. We still hope you will try us again. Thank you for taking the time to make your comments!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Ok, the not so good things first. (Read keeping in mind we LOVED our stay) There was a mix up with our reservation. We were supposed to have two queen beds, and only had one. Luckily my sister had backed out of the trip and it was just my mother and I so it worked for us. I'm sure they would have done what they could have to fix it if we had really needed it too.

Our room was very clean, with nice furnishings, although a little tight. To open the nightstand draw you had to make sure you pushed on the AC unit a little to make room. The pocket door to the bathroom didn't have any sort of hardware or handle to help open or close it, and you can hear right through.

All that said my mother and I LOVED it and are planning to come back and stay again sometime in the future. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful and accommodating. I was having back surgery the Monday after this weekend trip and the desk clerk gave me extra pillows and even remembered when I was leaving and told me good luck. The bed was also pretty comfortable even given my severe back pain.

The location could not be more perfect. There are some really amazing places to eat within walking distance and the staff is able to make some recommendations. There is beach access right at the end of the block. There is a pier very close, and lots of safe clean areas to walk. A greenhouse and nursery close so my mother got to get her plant fix in February, even though it was still snowing back home for her. We never had an issue parking either. You might have to drive around just a little to find street parking but it was totally manageable. We were always parked on the block with our hotel too so never had to walk far.

Our room was located right next to the office on the first floor and right off the main parking lot and didn't have a problem with noise. There wasn't a rowdy crowd while we were there and never had an issue with excessive noise. We did turn on the AC at night and the white noise of that covered up whatever was going on outside.

Long story short we would highly recommend staying here to anyone!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amber F
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

I'm so happy we were able to turn your first impression around into something very favorable! I remember you, and I do hope you will return again and will call us directly for your reservations the next time. It was a pleasure for us as well to have you as our guest, and I sincerely hope every stay in the future is at least as good as your first! Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

A great place to stay at a very affordable price. The bed was excellent, as well as everything else in the room. Mind that there isn't a safe in the room. It got a bit loud at night from outside, but nothing too terrible. Randy the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.
The room wasn't ready on time and we got in an hour late, but we didn't mind at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for your very nice review! And, I will inform Randy of your comments. We hope to see you again soon!!!!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a nice hotel located very conveniently one block from the beach. Close to boardwalk and walking distance to a large number of restaurants. Very comfortable bed, clean room and extra large shower (no tub). Room has a microwave, small refrigerator. Very helpful staff. Continental breakfast included. Located on Mission Blvd so there is a great deal of street noise.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Our location on Mission Blvd. does make it a bit loud with street noise. But, we did recently install double paned windows to help soften the noise. I'm so glad you were happy with everything else!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel. It is well decorated and very clean (although the inside doors front and bathroom needed cleaned). Love the showers! Front desk was helpful and courteous (Randy). The price was very good as is the location, simply steps from the Board Walk with many restaurants/bars close by. Our last stay was in August 2013 and it was filled with a younger, stay up all night crowd. This stay was in February 2014 and it was much quieter hence a better sleep was had although I would like to stay on the back side and not on the street side next time. My husband complained about parking both times although we never had trouble finding a spot :-) A great place!

1  Thank kromos

Yes, sometimes the idea of an issue is enough. We never know what kind of a crowd we will have stay with us, as it seems like we are gaining a lot of new clientele with the word finally getting out about the quality and pricing of our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We'll see you again soon!