“Sparkling clean, good service, comfortable room”

Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa
Ranked #190 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 9 June 2007

We spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express. We were delighted with the overall service provided, the friendliness of the staff, and were especially impressed with the cleaniness of the entire facility. The Express is close to shopping and entertainment, but quite a trek to downtown San Diego. We give this hotel a "two thumbs up" and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KGone
bradh66, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009

We appreciate the two thumbs up and look forward to having you as our guests again.

Reviewed 22 February 2007

I should preface this by stating that before checking in to the hotel, I'd spent 4.5 hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic from LA getting there. I really needed a clean, quiet, comfortable room for the night and I didn't get it.

First, the good: the room was immaculate, with comfortable bed linens. The hotel is well-situated in Mira Mesa, pretty much in the middle of San Diego. I personally would rather stay a little off the beaten path, if it means a quieter, more accessible stay.

Now, the bad:

The first thing I noticed was that there was only one person, a college-aged guy, working in the hotel. This was a problem, for in a hotel of that size (four stories), one that's completely booked, you're going to need more help than that.

The hotel was *noisy*. I mean *noisy* As in cheaply-constructed garbage. It sounded like people were doing jumping jacks in the room upstairs. I spoke to the (overwhelmed) front desk person who implied that because I'd checked in using Orbitz (and prepaid), he didn't want to do anything about it. He refused to give me a room on the top floor, and only put me in a different room after I threatened to call his manager.

Fortunately, the next room was OK, but I feel sorry for whomever had to sleep in the one I gave up.

The next morning I woke up and called down to the front desk guy (who was clearly not happy with being bothered) and asked for more coffee packets. He told me there weren't any. I asked him if his manager would agree with that assessment when I spoke to her the next day. Magically, he found more coffee. It didn't matter, though--there was no hot water to shower and I was too ticked off at the place to stay another minute.

I then arrived in the parking lot to find someone had stolen my hubcaps. Maybe I was a little too hard on the desk clerk. Or maybe one of the dozen or so college-aged kids staying unsupervised in the hotel, drinking and carrying on, thought I deserved it for runing their good mood.

Unless you're on the top floor, I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TallMatthew
A TripAdvisor Member
Las vegas ,NV
Reviewed 13 July 2006

My husband and i stayed at this hotel for the week we got married and we loved it. The front desk made a few mistakes with charging our credit card but they fixed it immediately and the staff were very friendly. I like the environment and was very clean. Whenever we needed something for our room or needed cleaning, it was done right away. There was a refrigerator, microwave coffeemaker, and blowdryer in the room without extra charge. The breakfast was complete and it was very satisfying. I like how there was a Denny's close to the hotel and was very convienient and the hotel gave us a 15% discount was as well. The hotel is convieniently close to many restaurants and a movie theater and just a few minutes drive from attractions and beaches. this is one of the best hotels we have stayed in and we would recommend it to others and will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Stayed here in May 2006 over Memorial Day weekend at 119.00 per night for the room. The check in went smoothly and the room was good sized and nicely appointed. I stayed at the Quality Suites in April 2006 and it is next door sharing the parking lot and a few amenities(swimming pool and weight room). The good thing about this hotel is that all the amenities are at the Quality Suites and so all of the noise is at that hotel. I would recommend staying at the Holiday Inn because it is much quieter and the rooms are nicer, even though it is a little more expensive than the Quality Suites. Would stay here again. Only complaint is because they share the parking lot, it can get really crowded and hard to find parking..Other than that, the breakfast is good and the workers are friendly.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank quickjaunt
Reviewed 27 June 2006

This hotel is perfect if you are looking for a mid to low price hotel. It does not have a lot of amenities; however, you can use the pool and gym at Quality Suites (next door) at no charge. The room was clean. The complimentary breakfast is very convenient and allows you to get off to a quick start. The staff member in the breakfast room was very curteous and pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank CCB_Vacationer
A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 24 April 2006

I stayed at this hotel because it was the closest to my relatives home. I read good reviews about this hotel from this website. The horrific part about this stay was I found a bug on my bed. When I contacted the front desk she explained its because they had military people and Japanese businessmen that stayed there. I informed her that every time I've stayed at hotels, and I do travel quite a bit, I have never discovered a bug in my room. I didn't think that excused them from not properly cleaning up their hotel especially at the amount I paid each night. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 September 2005

This is a great place to stay in San Diego. It is away from the attractions but all of the places to see are within a 10 or 15 min. drive (without traffic). It is located on Mira Mesa Blvd and is close to many restaurants and other name retailers. There is a movie theatre a few blocks away as well. The rooms were very spacious and clean and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I will certainly stay at the hotel again when I travel there. There really wasn't anything bad about the hotel, only that the parking spaces outside were small. It is located next to a Denny's too. A great place to stay!!

• Stayed: August 2005