“At least it was clean”

Ranked #237 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“At least it was clean”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I chose this motel because it was cheap. The internet price was only $55 for 3 people in one room with 2 queen sized beds. I also liked the free wifi promised on the website. When we got there we found out that the wifi was only free in the lobby. Since I did not purchase the wifi, I could not check the website to find out that it did, indeed promise wifi in the rooms. I have yet to find contact information to a main office to complain about that. Also, this motel was not quiet. The neighbors were noisy at all hours. The rooms were, indeed, clean. However, the room did not smell fresh. My son complained about an odor, but i did not notice it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank HermanaLinda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We were Grandma and 2, 10 year old grandsons on a 3 week, mostly camping, vacation but camping costs in San Diego were outragous so thought we found a hidden prize with E-Z 8's exceptionally good price, I was quite concerned when we arrived. Some rooms literally under an elevated highway? Young people standing outside their rooms chatting with beer in hand? Folks arriving without vehicles and obviously not having flown into San Diego? For this Grandma it was a lesson in 'never judge a book by its cover'. As 4 nights were paid for, I felt I had to try. First check - mattresses for bed bugs - new matresses, and exceptionally clean floor around it. It was then that I decided to maybe give a second thought to my first impression and I was repeated rewarded by - a spotleesly clean room, recently renovated with an under-counter refrigerator, fresh bed linens and a total lack of smell - no former smokers, no over done cleaning supplies, no attempt to cover pet smells - a plesent lack of any distingushable scent. Quiet - can't say that word enough. I don't know how an older property as that could be so quiet - both from the adjacent highways and from fellow quests. Pool was clear and inviting as was the area around it. The laundry room was far cleaner than many I have experienced at accomodations 3-4 times the cost of E-Z 8. And the people - fellow guests were cheerful with spontanious 'hi' and 'have a good day', the young people that concerned me on arrived were both curtious and quiet. I kept waiting for the loud partying to begin - it never did and they were so very polite to both me and the children. Staff not only plesent, they were exceptional, giving eating, routing and advice with a feeling that they cared about what they do and about their guests. Would I stay again? Location could not be better, neither could price - as a single with young childern? I would hope my experience is not the exception - if with my husband or other adults? No question! Do it! More vacation budget for the many experiences of San Diego!

Room Tip: Second floor away from the elevated highways.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MySLOtravels
taoal
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We have stayed with the nice people at the EZ 8 for 3 times so far, we brought our Scouts out for a week at Camp Fiesta Island, it's so nice and close to Fiesta Island and with a diner right down the street, walking distance easy, we were fed and ready for a week of camping. We did have an A/C problem, but with a call to the desk, they had people working on fast. They did move us to a new room while they worked on the unit, can't ask for faster help.

Room Tip: Very clean rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
massagemaven
Reviewed 22 July 2011

NO STARS!!THIS SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN!!!Please RUN! This was a complete farce. This is a very very scary Motel.NOT in OLD TOWn at all. We pulled in to find a frightening, filthy dump under the freeway. The photos on the ez 8 website are a lie. It is not near a trolly.. there is no restauraunt across the street. The room was disgusting and had blankets with cigarette burns all over and thru them..
There are full time tenants living there with animals and sitting all over the place smoking.. The smoke smell is so pungent i couldn't breathe in.. People hanging on the corners soliciting and selling.. We got our bags.. cut our losses and saved our lives and left.. ( oh and my room was 80 bux)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank massagemaven
Tempe, Az
Reviewed 20 June 2011

You essentially get what you pay for here. Under $40 a night, but a very small room with an older bed plus poor lighting and a TV from 10+ years ago! Some rather seedy quests and I saw the Police in the parking lot 4X in 3 days! Can hear the trains go by ever 3-4 hours. About the only benefit (other than the price) is the conviniece to nearby Old Town plus Perry's Cafe (Breakfast) is only 100 yard walk. I would not suggest for families and I doubt I'd stay here again except for maybe only One night!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank DaveNTempe
Big Bear Lake, CA
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Yes, it's a basic hotel, and yes, it's cheap with no frills. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms could be a bit cleaner, but hey for $40 it's a great bargain...within walking distance of Old Town, and close to all other San Diego points. That's why we keep coming back (and bringing a bottle of Lysol to give it a quick wipe-down!)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Hollywood
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Downfall for me was they allow smoking in the rooms. I used Febreze and candles but it never got the smell out of the room and I stayed for 3 days. No clock radio, no microwave but the mini fridge worked. Another thing is it's RIGHT next to the train tracks so it can be loud. It is walking distance to Old Town so that (in my opinion) was the best thing about this place. You can also catch the trolley to downtown a block away from the motel. Another thing is you have to pay for Wi-Fi or you can use it in the motel lobby for free on their internet kiosk.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo