“Average Stay”

Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
Ranked #207 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this property one night. I did feel like I was in a clinic when I first entered the room. The location and value of the motel was unbeatable. I thought the bed was comfortable and the A/C worked great.
But the room was not cleaned properly in my opinion. Dirty black foot prints on the floor worn stained towels and a dead roach was not expected when I checked in(see pics). The bathroom was clean and the sink area was the same. I am unsure if I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank JoeDavisPhotography

Reviewed 26 June 2012

The headline says it all. Very reasonably priced, extremely clean, and friendly, helpful management and staff. There are numerous other more expensive hotels in the downtown SD area which, in my opinion, are a lesser value (and I have stayed at several of M6's competitors in downtown SD). If you are high maintenance, or want to have Leona personally put a chocolate on your pillow: stay somewhere else. If you want a great deal with attentive service and clean lodgings, look no further.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ross B
Reviewed 13 May 2012

large motel with very small chambers which are for a dog too small
the chamber was this way small that you but 10 inches near the wall
no frigidaire
view against a wall
very noisy between the rooms
no internet no breakfast
for this value ....don't , there a better

Room Tip: parking for free but watch how you park because they hit our car
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ronloris
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I had stayed in this Motel 6 two or three times before and liked it quite a bit so I was extremely disappointed this time. The first room I was given had an unresponsive air conditioning unit, a bathtub that didn't drain well, and a bed without a blanket. At 3 a.m. I went down to the front desk to ask for a blanket and was told there were none left. So up I went to freeze for several hours underneath a thin bedspread in a fairly stuffy room. The bed was hard - felt like I was sleeping on the floor. I hated the "upgrade" with diner-like seats near the bed, the closet behind the TV screen, etc. The next day I was allowed to transfer to another room and was given two blankets so at least they tried to improve the situation. The second room had the same hard bed, the blankets were so thin they didn't keep me warm at night, and in this room there was almost no water pressure for the shower/bathroom sink. I was also a bit surprised that a small box of tissues wasn't provided - perhaps they should advertise that they provide a tiny bar of soap and that's it. So I'm not inclined to stay at this Motel 6 again. In their favor the area felt safe enough and the staff was pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Fourth floor back hall was relatively quiet but street noise was a bit too noticeable - bring ear pl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kavena
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I had the disabled room, which meant an enormous bathroom. Although in terms of attractivenenss the bathroom left a bit to be desired, it was very clean.On the second night I stayed I had a problem with the tv - the fix-it person was there literally as soon as I had put the phone down to report the problem, and he fixed it immediately. All of the staff were extremely helpful. The location was fantastic, like maybe 7 mins. walk to the Gaslamp although there's also a bus stop right outside. There was some noise from other guests once or twice, but nothing major at all. Mostly the place was very quiet. If I had a bigger budget I would stay at a swankier place, but I didn't and what I did get was value for money here. There are street people everywhere in San Diego, including about a block away from the hotel, but I never at any time felt any kind of threat from anyuone, exactly the opposite. I live in Mexico and felt extremely safe at all times in SD. Wolud come back here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tzinti
Reviewed 28 March 2012

In addition to being in a great location at a great price, this is not your run-of-the-mill Motel 6. It started at the lobby – relatively sleek and with a view of an outdoor plaza with nice tropical plants. The hallways were newly carpeted. The real shocker was the rooms though – very modern décor and simple with a European or Asian feel. Although small, I found the room soothing and pleasant, and the bed comfortable. They also had plenty of parking (although getting into some of the spots was tight). On the downside, the shower was low (I’m tall) and had poor water pressure. The bathroom door was awkwardly placed, and had to be kept closed to enable passing through the room. The front desk staff was generally civil but there was sometimes an undercurrent of surliness. The most annoying event was how hot our room would be by the time we returned in the evening, the vents seemed to be blowing hot air although the heat wasn’t on. The maid did seem to turn up the AC pretty high (75 or 80) but that was about the outside temperature and the room felt a lot hotter than that. We’d have to crank the AC down to 60 and open windows to air it out. Overall, this motel is well worth its price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I spent one night at this hotel, and while the location is handy, the rooms are both dated, and not well cleaned.

To go into detail, the piece of gum left on a shelf and the rather mildew encrusted shower head left me somewhat concerned about the rest if the room.

The good news, the girl at the front desk was very pleasant, and the price was affordable.

I would not chose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2012