Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
US$288
US$252
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$240
Official Site
US$652
HardRockSD.com
  • Restaurant
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$378
US$203
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$232
US$224
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$190
  • Restaurant
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$256
US$224
  • Pool
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
US$423
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbring your own shampoowalking distancegaslamp quarterbus stoplaundry facilitiesbasic hotelminute walkflat screen tvwater frontbed was comfortablecorner roomwi finice roomthe gas lamp districthairdryersdcons
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Okay, by looking at my other property reviews, you know I generally stay in 4 and 5 star hotels. But, I needed to be in San Diego and all hotels in the metropolitan area were literally sold out! This property is in an almost idea location, plus includes FREE parking. Where else in ANY downtown core can you receive free parking? Front desk staff, and manager Daisy, were incredibly personable, friendly, and helpful. The room was small, fairly modern for a Motel 6, and reasonably clean. The bathroom was impeccably clean and so was the hall sink/mirror area. I take issue with the following. Detail cleaning is needed to make this property shine and receive a higher rating. For example, housekeepers could focus on one additional task per week--ie, cleaning corners of floors throughout the room, cleaning inside the towel holders, and so on. Next, the room smelled great and so did the lobby. But, the corridors had some musty smell I could not identify. Heck, Westins and other properties use electronic generated scents in their lobbies and corridors, so why not here, too? There is a beautiful outside area beyond the check in desk with great vegetation. Capitalize on this by enhancing it with a bit of mood music, some simple furniture, and so on. All in all, the property is decent and I would stay there again again for $59 to $89, considering neighboring hotels are in the hundreds of dollars. I really believe Daisy and her team could easily, affordably, and sensibly turn this property into a premiere Motel 6. This structure is an old apartment/hotel building and has some character, unlike modern hotel styles. The convenience store outside does attract some locals, but all were kind and unthreatening. This IS a downtown location, and right down the road by the theatrical center and government buildings people sleep outside all night, so this area is actually BETTER than those areas which are right across the street from several four and five star properties.

Room Tip: If you want a bit more light via windows, request a corner room. Also, to avoid some traffic noise, request a room in the back of the property.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 50states7continents
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This Motel 6 is updated so it's slightly nicer then the other Motel 6s, however I did not enjoy my stay there. When we first checked in there were homeless men buying a room together. The homeless men drank all night and left their beer bottles all over the hallway. Also, our bathroom wasn't very clean with hair in the sink and on the toilet. Lastly, the bed and towels smelled old and like mold. Pros, it is cheap and fairly walking distance to gaslamp (though I wouldn't walk to or from this hotel and gaslamp at night because some of the areas get seedy). I think if you are just looking for a cheap place it would be fine. Not really for families or someone looking to enjoy their stay. Pay $40 more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel_allsn
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

As a broke college student I needed an inexpensive hotel for 4th of July weekend for a wedding. It is very conveniently located in downtown and with free parking also! Nothing special but a nice place for the price. I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 20 June 2014

What we like are:
- Affordable price
- Staffs at the front desk are very helpful and friendly.
- Our room was clean and furniture looks new.
- 0.4-0.6 miles walking to downtown.

What we don't like:
- The vicinity area seems to be unsafe and dirty.
- It requires tourists to about 0.3-0.5 miles (according to Google map) to find good grocery stores, and Asian restaurants, e.g. Thai restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants, or Subway.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at this property several times. In addition to it's European furniture feel, it is functional. I can do laundry on the first floor. There is a mini market right next store. The rooms are clean and the price is right. I can be at an eatery or the trolley within 5 minutes. I can be shopping or seeing a movie at Horton Plaza within 10 minutes. The San Diego Bay is about 20 minutes if you are walking, maybe 5 by car. My only negative is that it can get some questionable characters in residence. Just smile and stay off the ground floor and you should be ok.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple