“Brand New!”

Ranked #136 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Brand New!”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I am amazed how everything is brand new. I stayed here last year when it was Quality Inn and it was horrible. There are new owners and it looks like most of the renovations are complete.

The picture DOES NOT look like the motel. The motel looks better. I had great service and my room was excellent. I guess this place has been a "work in progress" over the last year and it has been paying off.

Breakfast was good. Only thing that stood out was a waffle machine. Everything else was the usual for motel breakfasts The actual design of the breakfast room was impressive.

Internet signal was above par compared to other motels Ive stayed at. Definitely high speed but I did have trouble figuring out how to enter the password.

Location is hard to get to off the freeway the first time but still in a good neighborhood.

Overall, I am very impressed. I would stay here again. It looks like they are still working on some of the motel tho

Room Tip: Always chose rooms away from the freeway. That's just a good tip for any motel.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tilt145

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
brampton
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Housekeeping didn't even come to my room after I requested them twice. Also, the manager is very impolite and threatened to kick me and my kids out. Lastly, the pictures do not look anything like the real motel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles6666Brampton
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Carpet new but ours had stains already. New paint. Furnishings were all new but the decorative trims popped off as they were put on with hot glue. 4 comfy pillows on each double bed. No bugs. A/C worked (individual unit) well but did smell musty, I brought along Fabreze after reading the reviews and it was fine. Hairdryer worked fine. Hot water available everytime and water pressure was good. Could hear neighbors plumbing but that's normal in most hotels. Couldn't hear neighbors otherwise and it was quiet. We stayed 6 nights on lower level. The breakfast room was usually crowded. They could benefit from having two counters instead of one. Could also use more tables. When they were full we just took the food to our room, no problem. They had hard boiled eggs, coffee, milk, o.j., cereals, oatmeal, bagles, muffins, danish, bananas, oranges, belgian waffles (make yourself - good). A Pepsi machine was also available. They kept restocking breakfast during the mornings. Friendly staff. We didn't use the pool. It was small, like one would have at a small house. We never saw anyone using it. Nice residential area. There are a few taco places down the street (El Rodeo is supposed to be good. Vons and CVS only two miles away, Albertson's less than a mile down the street.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dwagnfly
DK
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I booked this hotel (2 rooms - for 3 nights) in October 2010, when I was planning my trip to US with my family.

Our rooms was away from the street - first we thought this was god - but NO. The back of the hotel was facing 2 highways - and it was so EXTREME noisy that earplugs could not eliminte the noice just a little bit. We did not sleep for 3 nights (the hotel was prepaid, so we could not move).

The aircon in one of the rooms was not working at all, so our room was terrible HOT. And both of the rooms (and they were on top floor) had ants!!!! And there was a lot of them - all over. Disgusting - and not nice to have your suitcase open.

The hairdryer did not work. I asked the front desk and was told, that I could get one from him.

The breakfast room was terrible. We were sitting between sacks of cement and everything was very dusty (from the building materials in the room).

The swimmingpool was a joke - size like a hot-tub and not clean.

PLEASE - do not stay here. Everywhere else would be better.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank hsbouet
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I booked a room at this hotel for 9 nights. When we checked in we were told "if you check out during the stay you still pay for entire stay." We thought that was an odd thing to be told but we were there for vacation and for Comic Con, so we had no intention of checking out before our departing date.

Well we now know why that was said! It was because our stay would be a nightmare!!

We stayed here last year, when it was Quality Inn, and loved it, that's why we came back, but we will NEVER stay here again!!

First thing we encountered was ANTS! Tons of them in our room! Every day there was another huge trail of them all up and around the bathroom door!! We called the manager and he came down with an unmarked spray bottle of unknown chemicals and sprayed the ants twice and then wiped them down with a towel! The third time we complained, he handed the spray bottle to my husband and had us spray them down daily, wiping them down with one of our guest towels!!!!

The chemical smell triggered my asthma so I ended up missing two days of the con, due to having to get breathing treatments every 4 hours!!

The ants were everywhere after we started spraying! You would open your laptop, on the desk by the door, and ants would be crawling across the screen! You would wake up in bed with ants crawling on the sheets! OMG it was AWFUL!!!

So was housekeeping! She would take our towels and washclothes and NOT leave clean ones behind!! We had to start leaving notes on the bed for her to bring us towels and my husband even had to go to the front desk for some as well!

The hairdryer blew cold air and the last day that we were there, it died completely!!

We told the woman at the front desk ALL of this when we were checking out and she just shrugged her shoulders. Her attitude was the same as his!!

I reported it to corporate on the way to the airport the morning we checked out, yes I was that upset! I did not even wait to get home to call!

Corporate said the manager had 72 hours to respond. Well this morning I got an e-mail offering me 25% off rack rate on our next visit! HA!! Forget that!! We will NEVER stay there again!!

If you are looking for a good hotel to stay at on your next visit, we strongly suggest you pass this one by and find some where else!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MeganFC2002
Lakeside
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Older furnishings. What was clean was VERY clean. Few things dirty, refrig, hair dryer cord, phone, and interesting - just one wall behind the desk had mildew and also around the door. The rest of the room was very clean. Refrigerator would not work the first night and when I asked the next morning it magically started working, so it may be controlled at the front desk. Ice machine was out of order the entire stay.
It appeared that half the hotel was under renovation-rooms empty with no curtains.
The problem came after the first night. In the morning I got in the shower around 9:40 am to get ready to go to an appointment and when I was lathered with soap the water was turned off for repairs. I called the front desk and she said it would be 5 minutes. I called 15 minutes later and she said it would be 15 more minutes. I called again after 15 more minutes and she said just 15 minutes longer. I told her I was going to miss an appointment if they didn't turn the water back on. 10 minutes later I called the desk and asked the woman to be realistic and tell me exactly when I could expect the water back on and she said 30 minutes. I told her that I have dried soap all over me and I will have missed my 11:00 appointment. I told her that I needed to check out and go to a hotel that had water. She told me that I should be more concerned about their problems and that I had already paid for the upcoming night (2 nights) and basically it was a done deal. I advised her that my concern was my own travel and appointment agenda that their problems are not my concern.
As I was packing up to leave, the water came on. My 11:00 appointment had been missed, but I had time to make a 1:00 appointment so I did not check out. I was too busy to check out and continued with the rest of my business.
The second night I was kept awake until about 2:00 a.m with a rapper type music pounding the wall.
This hotel is a low budget hotel, good for those on a tight budget, but not good if you have a demanding schedule.
Also, do not expect professional conduct from the hotel management and concern for the customer. The correct thing would have been for the hotel to apologize and offer to only charge for the first night if I needed to check out for lack of water-which is what I was only legally responsible for anyway. It is only the first night that I could not cancel, not the second.

Room Tip: View the room before you check in.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Redford, Michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I spent 7 nights at this hotel when in town to visit family. It's a small hotel but perfect for what I needed. I don't travel to spend much time in a hotel room other than to sleep. Room was clean & quiet and NO BUGS! What I liked most was this place is out of the craziness of Hotel Circle & downtown. 15 mins & you can get to anything you want in San Diego. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2011