“OK stay, not as good as many reviews.”

Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Ranked #139 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“OK stay, not as good as many reviews.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My family and I stayed at this place based on the good reviews from here. We normally stay at Holiday Inn Express because they are very consistent wherever you stay, but I wanted to save a few bucks. This stay was ok, but not as good as some of the reviews would lead you to think. The place is not as clean as some reviews indicate. While the beds appeared to be clean and the bathroom was fairly clean (though extremely small), the carpets were filthy, so much I didn't want to walk around with my shoes off at all (I even had concerns about walking with my shoes ON, jk). Imagine large blackened wear spots right down the middle of the carpet, from the door to the bathroom.

In addition, there was a gaping space around the door which let all kinds of noise inside, which wouldn't be a huge problem if the room wasn't right next to the freeway. So, we had to deal with unnecessary freeway noise the entire time. At the bottom of the door was a space about 1/2 an inch. We had to place a rolled up towel there to keep light out, but nothing would stop the sound. My wife didn't seem to mind the noise and said it was like white noise to help her sleep better. I was bothered because it should have been obvious to whoever installed the door and could be remedied with a cheap seal from Home Depot.

The location seemed ok, no more dangerous than other parts of San Diego. Parking was ample. The staff were pretty friendly. The breakfast was decent, better than some other hotels, not much selection though. Also, the area where breakfast was served only has two tables to sit at. The Wi-fi was fast enough for Netflix/Hulu, though the TV was pretty small. The clock radio gave off random noises that could not be controlled. It would randomly turn on and play static, not matter what you did to it. Also, I noticed that the smoke alarm was not turned on. I climbed up on the bed to take a look and I was right, it wasn't even connected. The A/C did work well and was pretty quiet.

The room itself was pretty small for a double queen, as many other reviews state. Overall, I give the room a 2 out of 5, but the establishment a 3 out of 5 since some of the problems I experienced may have only been with my room (e.g. dirty carpet, gap in door, broken clock radio). This is a decent place if you are overly concerned about the price. However, my next stay I will likely just spend a few extra bucks and stay at a better hotel, like Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pcaz79
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi pcaz79,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am glad to hear any suggestions to make the room quality and overall experience from our guests. For the noise coming in the room, we have installed wither strips on the door frame. However, like you mentioned, there may be improvements to sealing the outside noise by installing another seal at the bottom of the door.

I am glad to hear you liked the breakfast even though the breakfast area is small. We do suggest that guests take their breakfast to the pool area and enjoy it at the tables. We have umbrellas attached to the tables so you can enjoy your breakfast in the shade!

We hope to see you again at our property and will take into account your suggestion!

Pratik Shah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
Hemet, California, Usa
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We thought the location was a little strange until we realized that a neighborhood had grown up around the hotel. Very close to our work location, very close to restaurants and stuff in Grantville. This is a very plain, unfancy hotel, but boy oh boy is it clean! Everything sparkles in these rooms, the breakfast room in the lobby is so clean and shiny you can't wait to eat there. The staff is very friendly and recognizes you from past visits. Very quiet neighborhood, but very close to Interstate 8. Feels safe. It's an easy room for two people to get ready for work, laid out just right. Like I said, very plain, nothing special, but CLEAN!!!!

Room Tip: It is a quiet place, I don't know if there is a difference in room quality as they have given us...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cher L
australia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Can nearly accept a hotel next to a noisy freeway , but shifty looking guest coming and going didn't make me feel very safe . Maybe a room around the front , facing the street would have been more in the open and safer.

Room Tip: get a room on the street, not around the back
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ted58
Tucson
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

The room was clean, a bit small for 2 queen beds, the office staff was friendly the check in lady was helpful in honoring the online AAA price even though I didn't make the reservation through AAA. Breakfast was OK the usual cereal, waffles and muffins I'm not to big on sweets so for me it wasn't that great of a breakfast. The location is next to only one other hotel in a residential neighborhood but is not too far from stuff. I also noticed staff keeping the outside clean as well. We were on the bottom floor which was nice because we were able to park right in front of the hotel room. Overall I had a nice stay just not so sure about the price almost $70 with taxes for just one night !

• Stayed March 2014
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hotel is in a quiet residential area about 10 miles from the airport and right off I-8. Large room with 2 queen beds, refrigerator, and microwave. There is a sink outside the bathroom. Wifi works well. They require a $50 deposit in addition to the hotel charges. This gets reimbursed after you leave. Breakfast was OK. There was cornflakes and fruit loops, hard eggs, waffles, and bagels. The breakfast room was small. Good value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I searched for low cost hotel with breakfast included near Qualcomm Stadium. We stayed December 21st to the 27th 2013. The room was very clean and newly renovated. Each bed had 4 pillows but they were only 1/2 the size of a normal small pillow. I took the advise of others to book a double queen to have more room as the rooms are on the small side. The TV worked great although there were not many channels. The hotel is in a residential area right off the interstate. Our room was not on the interstate side and was very quiet and we did not have any issues sleeping. The breakfast was just like it stated - free continental - basic muffins, bagels, toast, cereal, hot waffles, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. I love waffles so that was my pick and they were wonderful

Room Tip: Book a double queen to have more room as the rooms are on the small side
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam W
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had a lovely stay,we stayed for 7 days 6 nights, we knew that it wouldnt be much considering the price but hey we were in san diego we werent going to be doing much in the room anyway. The staff was very nice and they have a cute dog that just hangs out behind the counter. Word of advice get to the breakfast bar early or its a disaster. The area is not nearly big enough, we took our food back to the room even though the sign says not to. Overall if you are looking for a cheap budget friendly place to stay this is a good option.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple