“Location, service, and family-run hotel...love it!”
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #160 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is our first time staying at Ocean Beach Hotel. My wife and I have had an incredible experience at this hotel. The staff has been incredibly accommodating. My wife has neck and back problems. We asked for some extra pillows because she was having trouble sleeping. The woman at the desk not only got us pillows, she moved us to a bigger room with a balcony (thinking a different bed may help my wife). She did this without our asking and was so pleasant and helpful.

Location: Ocean Beach (I'm listening to the waves now)
Price: Very reasonable considering the location
Family run: We met the owners (Grosh) and had a great conversation with them. They took the time to give us advice about our upcoming move to San Diego.

I have a friend back in Minnesota who stays here on every visit. I now understand why. This is a really cool place. The courtyard is wonderful. We really like it and are glad that we have four more nights here on the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

Clean rooms, excellent, friendly service, and a family run hotel. The owners are out working on the gardens as I type this review. It is also very quiet with the door and balcony closed. The only thing I hear are the waves crashing.

You can stay somewhere cheaper in San Diego, but you won't stay anywhere as cool and fun. Five stars and a big thank you to everyone at OB Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side may be noisier due to Newport Avenue. However, close the balcony and silence...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Prime location, prime service, and my pooch loved it! The courtyard patio is really nice if you want to get out of the crowd a little bit. This place is dog friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend to anyone staying in the San Diego area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Don't believe the bad reviews: the OB Hotel is great! The staff were wonderful, very responsive to all of my requests. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day. It was quiet despite being on a busy street. The best thing, of course, is the location-it is practically on the beach! In fact, it seemed to be the only hotel in Ocean Beach that was within a block of the beach. Close to many different kinds of restaurants and shops. I will definately return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Abrammer65
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I were spanning on a week long trip up the coast, and this was the starting point. We had a few hotels to choose from though our rewards program, and this one looked like our kind of fit. Of course we read the various reviews and felt fine with our choice.
The hotel is located right on the beach in Ocean Beach, which has a personality of it's own. It's not for everyone, but I liked the culture. The hotel had a nice peaceful courtyard looking out onto the beach, with a some seating areas, a fountain, and even a little shower to wash off any excess sand, which was appreciated. The rooms were clean and adequate, right on par for what I expected. We stayed in a standard room. It wasn't luxurious by any means, but it met all of our needs. While we didn't travel with our pets, the hotel is dog friendly, which was nice. It actually did make me miss my dogs!
The staff was very friendly and courteous, and helpful with any recommendations. The location was ideal, right on the corner - the pier, the ocean (including Dog Beach), and busy Newport Ave. all in your sights. The first night we were in OB we partook in the large Farmer's Market on Newport Ave. It takes up a street block with artists, food vendors, jewelry makers, and musicians. Very fun! Most anything you'd want to see in OB is a short walk, and it is not a far drive from the airport, Sea World, or downtown San Diego.
Several reviews mentioned noise well into the night, but we didn't stay on the side closer to Newport, so I can't touch on that, but on our side, we didn't have a problem with the noise.
I definitely enjoyed our stay at this hotel, and would absolutely stay here again. I wasn't ready to leave after the two short nights we got in OB - thanks for the great stay!
p.s. Don't forget to say "hey" to Woody.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cordium23
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I am in love with the adorable courtyard with the beautiful window view of the ocean! The room was quiet and clean and the hotel was conviently located near a ton of fun bars and delicious restaurants close by.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CarrieLeighS
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel and found it to be perfect for our needs. It was a budget hotel and we only had to say for 2 days. The service at the hotel is good, the staff is quite friendly. The best part of the hotel is the location of the hotel, it is on the beach. It takes hardly 2 minutes to reach the shore. The hotel itself is a bit old and dated but the services were decent. The room was also a little worn down but it was quite clean. We never faced any problems during my stay and would surely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stephen r
Reviewed 2 October 2013

....they have the spot right on the beach. If there is something else in this price range in San Diego that is simply steps from the beach I couldn't find it. And while it is certainly true that while on vacation you can DRIVE to the beach, it's not the same. It was simply wonderful to be able to walk out the door in the morning and be 60 seconds from having your toes in the sand (perhaps following a short diversion to the Starbucks conveniently located a couple blocks inland).

If it was not for that (and the dog policy; more on that later), there really wouldn't be a lot to recommend about the Ocean Beach. For one-third the price I could have found something within a 10 minute drive that has odd furniture arrangements, a/c as an afterthought (and which did not work in our room), no bedside tables or lamps, and the smallest bathrooms ever built. I'm not saying there is NOTHING else of value here--it definitely has charm, they have a lovely courtyard and free parking, and it's definitely very clean. I think they went too cheap on the renovations, though, and it's starting to show, such as the beige paint peeling off the pink tile in the shower. And the staff were very nice.

About the dogs: They are welcome here, and for good reason--two sections of beach to the north is an off leash dog park that is simply delightful. All breeds and mutts bouncing around on the beach and in the water. High tide or low there were plenty of dogs to watch and play with. Unless you really hate dogs make sure you walk up there. Dogs are also allowed on the beach right in front of the hotel on-leash before 9am and after 6pm.

But back to the Ocean Beach Hotel...as long as you realize you are paying for the beach--and especially if you are bringing a dog--you may think it's work the price. The commercial area immediately around it is pretty worn down and dirty with a post-college football game look and smell to much of it, but there are a few excellent restaurants and a bit of fun shopping.

Room Tip: There are four rooms that a view of nothing but the parking lot, even though they are called "c...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends