“Location and dog friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #147 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Location and dog friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Cross the street and you're on the sand. Location is pretty vibrant with shopping and restaurants all within walking distance. Dog friendly and a public park across the street. Agreed that the room is worn and furnishings are dated. But unit was clean. Noise is an issue as they've replaced the carpeting with laminate flooring. I had particularly noisy upstairs neighbors and management was very receptive and accommodating in trying to resolve the issue.

Room Tip: If you don't have a dog - the top floor would eliminate any potential for noise from above.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi Susan - thanks for the review! Great word for the location - "vibrant" indeed - we love being in the heart of OB within walking distance of all the great shops and restaurants. I hope you had a chance to check out our restaurants page on our website that shows some of our favorites for around town. We are really lucky to have such a vibrant restaurant scene - tons of good food from Hodad's to Raglan to Shades to Pizza Port to South Beach, the list goes on and on.

We are constantly updating the rooms and I really appreciate your feedback. One of the updates was switching to hard laminate flooring in all the rooms and doing away with the carpet - carpet was no good at the beach! With that update though you are right, the bottom floor rooms are a bit louder - good room tip for getting top floor rooms. I'm glad you told our front desk because if there is ever a problem with noise and you let our front desk know we do our absolute best to resolve it so that you can have a peaceful vacation. Also, I'm happy to tell you that we are currently updating the rooms a section at a time with new furnishings so hopefully by the next time you are here there will be new furniture in the rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

It's a good place for affordable price - when you are looking for a lovely spot on the 1st line of san Diego's beach. I made a mistake on booking and guys gave me a better room for the same price. Reccomended,

Room Tip: Ocean side, definitely
Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thanks for the great review, Mosmellowman! It means a great deal to us to receive such positive feedback - especially from a TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer. I like that line - "a lovely spot on the 1st line of San Diego's beach". Well said! I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed your beach vacation! We strive for 5-star service, so I'm very glad to hear our staff was able to offer a free upgrade.

Thanks again for the review and the recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The room was a bit small but it served its purpose. Location was great, staff was great and view was great. The price of the room was a little steep but I would go back to Ocean Beach Hotel in a heart beat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi Brittany - thanks for the great review! I appreciate you mentioning our staff - we strive for 5-star service so it's really nice to hear from guests that we are meeting that goal. I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay - yes, the rooms are a bit tight - this hotel was built in 64' and we continue to try and make improvements to allow for more space like our renovated bathrooms that have added shelving. And about the price - remember that we have a low price guarantee so if you find a lower rate on a comparable room at another hotel that is considered "ocean front", then we will meet that price!

Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you again soon!
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our room was very clean if looking a little worn in places, but we had a reasonable shower, a comfy bed, and everything we needed.

What really sells this place is the location - honestly the most beautiful sunset I've seen on the West Coast! It's a 30 second walk to the beach, bars and an excellent array of restaurants. There's a taxi rank just over the road too, and lots of safe car parking behind the hotel.

Our room was on Newport and while the noise from the road meant we couldn't sleep with the doors open, we weren't disturbed in the night. There were lots of (erm) characters about: never before has my friend said the sentence "there's a man outside taking his rabbit for a walk and talking to a homeless man!". I guess that kind of sums the place up.

Shades Bistro next door does a brilliant breakfast, and we didn't have too bad a wait on either day we were there. The bar upstairs (Wonderland) was excellent and is thoroughly recommended: they bring round free shots and the whole bar toasts the sunset that you can view through the huge windows.

For the location, Shades and Wonderland, we'd definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thanks for the great review, B from the Berks! I see you have reviewed quite a few destinations so it is a honor to be called the best you've seen for sunsets on the West coast! I must agree with you - it never gets old seeing that sun falling behind the pier every night. Thank you for mentioning the free guest parking at the hotel and all the restaurants and shops that are close by!

Yes, Newport can be loud - the price we pay for being on the main street in OB. Although the courtside rooms do not have balconies, we often suggest those rooms to guests that are sensitive to noise because you really don't hear the noise from Newport - only the fountain in the courtyard. And yes, there are characters - OB is really the last remaining authentic beach town in Cali and the warm whether invites characters of all types to San Diego beaches. A guy walking his rabbit huh... a beach bunny!

I LOVE the fact that you mentioned two of our best restaurants in OB - Shades and Wonderland. Shades is an OB landmark with an incredible menu and a ocean view- people know them for their breakfast but they also have a fantastic lunch and dinner menu. They also have a doggy menu FYI if you're traveling with your pup. And Wonderland is the new kid in town and, wow, are they making a splash. With a gorgeous renovation that opened up those big windows that roll up now and a ton of beers on tap - that is my favorite place to grab a brew on a hot day.

Thanks again for your review and for all your feedback. We can't wait to see you again soon!
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My family planned a trip to watch a Padres game. I first looked into a downtown hotel but couldn't find one under $350 a night. So, I then looked at the beach towns and, as a whole, much cheaper. This hotel is a cute hotel and it's right on the beach. Yes, there are homeless but if I were homeless, I too would live at the beach. There are lots of eateries and 30 mins from the baseball stadium (at 5:30pm) was nice. The only small thing that got under my skin was the parking - the spaces are way too small.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi Jill - thanks so much for the fantastic review! I'm really happy you chose the beach rather than downtown - the gaslamp district is really neat but San Diego is all about the sunsets on the Pacific. Happy to hear you enjoyed our little beach town over here including the restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We are happy to provide free beach parking to our guests but you are right - the spaces are a bit small. Unfortunately we are forced to keep them that way to allow at least one spot per room.

Thanks again for the fantastic review and we look forward to seeing you and your fam again soon! GO PADRES!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Love,love,love their location right across from the beach & down the street of many cute little shops & resturants & 6 min away from Sea World convinent,convinent,convinent & very affordable & very nice Recepcionests lucky I found them on a day I was so desperate to find a hotel stay for me & my two young one's since most hotels were booked because of Spring break & was lucky enough 2 find a room with them. Overall its a cute little hotel & very clean & their court yard soo cute I would most defenitly recommend this hotel & I look foward to visiting soon & staying again @ Ocean Beach Hotel :)

• Stayed April 2014
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you so much for the fantastic review! We love being in the heart of Ocean Beach so people can walk to all the great shops and restaurants - doesn't OB have the best restaurants?! Ocean Beach Restaurant Week is coming up (April 28th through May 4th) - over 30 restaurants will be offering discounts. It might be too tough to make it down here again that quickly but it's an annual event so maybe next year!

Thanks for mentioning all the great things to do in the area including the close proximity to SeaWorld. Just an FYI that we do offer guests discounted tickets to SeaWorld at the front desk - hopefully you were able to take advantage of that amenity.

Very happy to hear that you will be staying with us again on your next visit to San Diego and hope to see you again soon!
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location of this hotel is top notch! Literally, right on the beach and close to everything. The view from my room looked right out on to the ocean. The hotel is a little dated, but the bed was comfortable and the shower was awesome - what more do you need? The staff was friendly and fantastic. The little courtyard area was a nice treat at night time. So many restaurants nearby to choose from - Shades next door had killer breakfast and a burger from Hodad's is a must-have. I am so glad to have found this place - can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you so much for the perfect review, Elaine! I love that you mentioned Shades and Hodad's - two of our best restaurants in OB. Just an FYI that OB Restaurant Week happens every year at the beginning of May and over 30 restaurants participate with specials... so keep that in mind when booking again! Also, make sure to check out our restaurant page on the OB Hotel website to see some of our favorites (and some of Guy Fieri's favorites too!).

Also very happy to hear you enjoyed the courtyard space which we just recently remodeled a couple years ago. It's the best for sipping a glass of wine and watching the waves. Thanks again for the great review and we can't wait to see you again!!