“Fun, Tasty - More Than Burgers”
Review of The Counter Burger - CLOSED

The Counter Burger
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Lived up to high ratings. "Do it yourself" menu lets you plan and design your own dining options. Had a great chicken sandwich and wonderful onion straws. Very much in the middle of a great shopping center. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Lots of people have their favorite burger place, but the Counter is definitely mine. Build your own burgers, everything fresh and most organic, an excellent veggie burger even, and unique "meat of the month" deals where every month they have something new, like crab cakes burgers or carne asada burgers. Wonderful place.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We went to Counter for dinner. They have nice ambiance and beers on draft. I liked there options for customization. I like my burger on the spicier side; which was very nice made there.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I decide to try The Counter Burger at Del Mar Highlands (not downtown as some reviewers wrote) on a Friday around 11:15 AM, about 15 minutes after posted opening. Three or four other tables were taken. Given the name, I expected to order at a counter then take a seat. That's not how it works. In theory, a staff member should notice arrivals and hand over an ordering clipboard. It would work except when nobody watches the door, as I stood around for over a minute before anyone noticed. I proceeded to order a burger and sweet potato fries. As an annoying note, the standard fry size is double; the "single" appears in small print. The fries came out first, though the delivery person didn't know where they went despite the fact that there were less than 5 tables occupied.

As for the food, I got a decent burger, shown below. I appreciate the marked weights after cooking, so I knew to order a single. 1/3 pound after cooking is about the Double-Double. I got spinach, red peppers, and tomato. The burger was a little wet, yet tasty. I wouldn't call it "world's best" though. Or even "San Diego's best." Maybe not even better than In-N-Out, though there are better toppings. The unpictured sweet potato fries were very good, cooked appropriately.

Southern California is blessed with the ideal default burger place, In-N-Out. The double-double is not the best burger ever, but it's always very good. Furthermore, when I go there, I get friendly quick service for my $6 burger and fries. The presence of In-N-Out makes it harder for a upscale burger place to survive. I paid over $12 at The Counter. While a bit better food, I got worse service. There's no reason for one to go here instead of what a hamburger's all about.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I am not much of a burger eater anymore. But my kids love this place. it is clean, cute and well done. The food is pretty good if not better. They have a wide variety of choices including vegetarian. Well worth the visit.