“This was supposed to be a vacation!”

Ocean Beach Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Ocean Beach Cottages
Ranked #233 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“This was supposed to be a vacation!”
Reviewed 1 August 2003

I just got back from my stay at the Ocean Beach Cottages. I had rented from this company before, but at the Old Town Location. I knew it would be small, and after all they are cottages, but I had been told that this unit was a one bedroom and it was actually a studio! This is blatant false advertising! When you have your kitchen, dining area and living room in the same room as the bedroom, this is called a studio, not a one bedroom! Apparently, many others were also told that they were renting a one bedroom and only to find out that their accomodations were also studios! The other thing that they do not tell you is that these cottages are in the direct path to the airport. I counted 30 planes flying in or out over the cottages between 6:30am and 7:30am and this was a Wednesday! As a matter of fact, every morning at 6:30am, the planes begin and end at about 10:30 pm at night! There are more concentrated times - mainly 6:30 am - 7:30 am! Don't plan on sleeping in!

3 Thank Afandrews777

Couples
Solo
Business
Reviewed 14 July 2003

We heard about the cottages through a friend of ours who went to school in SD. The photos on the web made the place look very cute, and when we got there, my opinion wasn't too much different. Our small one bedroom cottage was cute, with the paint scheme but it had some serious flaws.
First, there was no couch in the place. They had a day single-sized bed that they attempted to convert to a day bed by nailing wood behind it so you could lean on it. This sounds great, but in reality it was very uncomfortable and you essentially had no sitting area in the cottage to relax.

Next, let's talk about the bedroom. Again, great pain scheme, cool colors, but alas, you cannot sleep on the walls... The bed sucked so bad, words cannot describe it. I actually think the ground might have been softer. The sad thing is we leave Phoenix so we can enjoy the great weather and sleep in, read, take naps in the cool weather, etc.
Not happening.

Another thing that you are not told about, and I really think they need to tell you, is the little community. Ocean Beach is a total burnout, pot-head paradise. There are the weirdest people staggering around, it is not clean, etc. I do need to add that during the whole weekend, no one ever bothered us or asked for money (as opposed to the Phoneix gas station where in the space of ten minutes three different people asked me for money).

Another issue to consider is the noise. Due to the low temp, there is no AC (fear not fellow Zonies, you will be ok!) In order to cool down the cottages, you leave your windows open. Sadly, the cottages ARE RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE BUSY AIRPORT FLIGHT PATH!!!!!!!!!!!! Ughhhhh!!!!!
In addition to airport hell, you will also enjoy the sounds of drunken hippies running through the alley the sits right behind you. My girlfriend and I actually left a full day earlier at one in the morning, just to get back to our own beds to get a good nights sleep.

On the bright side, it wasn't really that expensive, the weather was amazing, so cool that we had to buy sweatshirts, and if you know anything about Phoenix in July, you know how huge that is!

Also, the staff at the cottages were very nice. Good customer service, but sadly it is not going to be enough for us to return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Reviewed 2 June 2003

I was actually worried after seeing some terrible reviews. When I got there, though, they were cute little cottages, perfect for familys. The cottages were very clean and kept up very well. Only a short walk to the beach, the location was awesome and I really enjoyed staying there. I would recommend this place to everyone for this unbeatable price.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 May 2003

I thought this place, and the surrounding neighborhood, was a complete dump. The bright blue cottages on the Web site were certainly not bright in real life. We drove right by them, not recognizing them. The roof of each cottage was falling apart, the paint was chipping, the common grounds were in disrepair, and the hot tub was dirty. Our cottage was garishly and sloppily painted, though clean. The washer-dryer unit was a rusted out set, sitting outside under some stairs. Maid service came every other day, and did not even include bed-making. The neighborhood was filled with transients and Ocean Beach itself was too. The only store nearby was a liquor store (with a few groceries), and walking at night did not feel safe. All in all, NOTHING like the Web site presented. If you're going to San Diego and you don't have a lot to spend, you're better off staying at a Best Western. At least you get free breakfast and your bed gets made!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 December 2002

These little cottages were wonderful. Having only seen the pictures posted on the web, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. When we pulled up I was thrilled!!!! They are quaint, lush little cottages, a quick walk to the beach. We went up with a group of friends for a low key- bargain priced weekend & that's what it was! We hung out on the patio, had a bonfire on the beach, sat in the jacuzzi, & didn't have to eat out once, after a trip to the very convenient market. Located in a hippie community- everything's in walking distance.... we will defintely be going back. The only negative thing was parking- at night its impossible to find a close spot without circling for 20minutes & even then good luck. Otherwise GREAT!!!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member