“Loved it!!!”

Ocean Beach Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Ocean Beach Cottages
Ranked #234 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 August 2004

Me and my family stayed at the beach cottages and it was wonderful my kids loved it.... they felt right at home ... The atmosphere was very welcoming and cozy,. It is a block and a half away from the beach ... I suggest that if you are an uptight person or just not the relaxed then this is not the place to stay ... People here are very friendly and there is a mixture of everything...I reccommend this 100% ....

Irvine, CA
Reviewed 3 June 2004

OK, let's get real for a minute. The bad reviews on this site have missed two crucial points. 1. You have selected this property to SAVE money. When you save cash on the rent, you pay in other areas. 2. This is a beach community. Most of these areas in California are full of twenty something surfers that are looking to live near the beach.... cheaply. This area just happens to have a deeper "hippy" culture than most. The pan handling isn't policed as heavily as say Newport or Laguna beach.

The good news: The property has several small, but charming cottages. Ours was just a one room bachelor, but it had way more room than a standard hotel box. Full kitchen is great for making food at home as opposed to eating out every night. Very short drive or nice walk to full grocery store and restaurants. The liquor store mentioned in another review is closer (a block away), but doesn't have a large slection. The walls are thick enough to hold out most noise. There was a loud party across the alley and we could barely hear it. It is close to all major fun activities, 5 minutes to Sea world and Mission Bay, 10 minutes to downtown and Balboa Park. It's maybe a block and a half to the sand. On a quiet night you can hear the surf with the windows open.

The bad news: The mattress rather sucked, but I find most hotel beds do. The shower was weird. the water blasted right at the curtain. Got used to it though. No TV remote (Dang when did I get that lazy?). Parking rather stinks, but if you have lived anywhere near the beach you know that this is life. There are three or four spaces dedicated to the cottages. They are first come first served, but we had no problem getting one when returning for the evening. The Planes! This place is right under the flight path for San Diego airport, so at 7 or 8am it will be time for rise and shine. They don't fly by every ten seconds however. We found it got us up and going for the days events. If you are a late sleeper (like me) you may grumble a bit. Washers and dryers are old, outside, and under the stairs, but what are you going to wash on vacation besides your bathing suit or that shirt you spilled wine on last night?

Finally, if you were hoping to spend $90 to $150 a night and get a luxury condo on the sand, you are dreaming. If you want super deluxe, pay for it. For the money, this is nicer than any hotel I have ever stayed in for the same price. Without the loud screaming kids through the paper thin walls. Ever wanted to live in a beach community? rent this place and you will get a full immersion into the life. Having lived in Newport and Laguna Beach when I was a twenty something surf type, it brought back some great memories.

I think you can fully enjoy this place as much as I did if you just remember that a day at the beach includes fun, sun, surf, good times, sunburn, and sand in your underwear. :)

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bend, OR
Reviewed 23 March 2004

I wasn't sure what to think after reading all the varied reviews. Once we got there, everything was really great. The cottages are in a great location, about 3 blocks in from Ocean Beach and they're so much better than a "sterile" hotel room. They're not the fanciest, the cottages are little houses in a surfing neighborhood. But they're so fun. They're all really cute and we'd definitely stay there again. Ocean Beach is a great neighborhood to visit, restaruants, bars, interesting locals, it's great!

Reviewed 22 February 2004

The rooms are clean, nothing fancy, but the view is worth every dollar.. The hotel sets on the beach with nothing but ocean and beach from the deck. The rooms are not the most updated, but you have access to use of grills, picnic tables and beach at your front door. Ask for second floor room to get a good view or a cottage. We plan to return again.

3  Thank kaybsix
Reviewed 13 January 2004

I stayed at the Ocean Beach Cottages, unit #7, on the nights of January 8 and 9, 2004. I was booked to stay a 3rd night, but cut my stay short and checked into another hotel.

I was very disappointed with my stay. I travel extensively both nationally and internationally and have fairly modest standards for accommodations, but I found the property in serious need of improvement.

1) Although advertised as "recently renovated" on the website I booked through, the unit was in was in need of paint, floor refinishing, and accessories.

2) The heat in the unit did not warm the bedroom (or living room area very well). I slept with 3 blankets and still was cold.

3) The kitchen appliances were in need of updating. I had to repair the coffee pot. The kitchen utensils were very shabby.

4) The noise was terrible. Even with all doors and windows closed, traffic, pedestrians, and airport noises kept me from sleeping.

5) The parking situation was awful. I had to park as much as two blocks away, on the street, and I also received a $40 parking ticket since I did not see a restricted parking sign when I parked after dark.

6) The bathroom was dark, inconvenient and the tub surround had sharp screws coming out of a broken towel track. (There was hot water, thankfully.)

The owners seem be turning this into temporary long-term housing instead of vacation rentals. Lots of transient families there when I was.

The place was not cheap, either!

Wish I had checked tripadvisor before I booked!

Doug Johnson 46813 Cape Horn Road Cleveland MN 56017-4553 Email: dougj@doug-johnson.com

New york, New york
Reviewed 7 January 2004

I stayed in the Ocean Beach cottages in Brighton Ave, from the San Diego Cottages company. I loved the beach feel in the decorations and the staff were really nice to me and helped me with all my questions about San Diego tourist things. There was never a problem if I need an extra towel, coffee etc. The BBq was great to be able to use and the Jaccuzzi was wonderful for my kids to sit in after a day at the beach. Loved it, and would highly recommend this place. The girl in the office, I think her name was Victoria, she was really great to my family.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salinas Ca & Alexandria VA
Reviewed 23 August 2003

We stayed there mid-Aug 03 for 4.5 days - it was perfect for us - very clean, cute and it was nice to be able to walk to the beach and downtown OB. The weather was perfect, the planes were no bother, and can't see why there were complaints on this place - guess those people had different and higher expectations!

We would stay at this place again in a heartbeat - actually if a unit was for sale, we would be very interested!!!

I can't say more about how much we loved the unit we stayed in and the location to the beach - maybe the people who didn't like it would be better of staying in a starchy hotel. It was fun and perfect for us!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member