“Lower Case W” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Oakland, California
“Lower Case W”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is not your older brothers W! I was disappointed with the quality of my stay at this W hotel. the room was mot 4 star, nor we're the facilities. I walked into my room directly into a spider web. Turned on the lights and met my freeloading neighbor with 8 legs. The room was small. I could hear the sounds of running water from the rooms above and to the side of me. Parking is $35/day and Internet $14.99.

It is about 10 blocks from the Gaslamp and situated close to the courthouse? At night you must walk the gauntlet past the many homeles that call this part of downtown San Diego home.

For my money there are at least 10 superior hotels in a similar price range that are closer to the Gaslamp, convention center, Petco Field, or water front. I would not reccomend unless you get a great rate or are desperate for a room in this area. I give it 2.5 - 3 stars

Room Tip: Top floor. Then you don't hear plumbing from floor above
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here for a nice weekend getaway and we had an amazing time. Check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were super-friendly and personable. Since we arrived around lunch time we ordered room service. The whatever/whenever desk staff were also great. Our food arrived promptly. The rosemary chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries were amazing. We also checked out the rooftop bar which just opened. There was a great lounge/bar vibe happening. There were cabanas, comfy deck chairs and a nice bar. I ordered one of the W signature cocktails- I think it was called a lemondrop? The hotel is just about finished doing renovations and I can't wait to see the finished product. If it looks anything like the new rooftop bar it will look amazing. I did get a sneak peek at the new restaurant opening. The food was super fresh and delicious. I can't wait until they officially open so I can come back and sample the final menu! We like to take weekend getaways and will definitely come back to the W.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Glendora, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I use tripadvisor for everything and booked this hotel because of previous reviews. Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience as some other reviewers. The purpose of this trip was for my sister's bachelorette party and from the beginning it was disappointing. Thankfully we still had fun but the list of problems with the hotel is extensive:
1. The hotel was under serious construction when we arrived and their were picketers outside the hotel complaining about the hotel not following code and considering the historic value of the building.
2. The front desk staff we unhelpful and unfriendly
3. The pool is tiny!!!
4. The bar looks great but is crazy expensive
5. The hotel is NOT close to the gaslamp nightlife
6. The manager tried to rectify the problem but all he did was give us a $10 bottle of champagne
7. The shuttle service is not good for large parties and ends a 8pm - oh and make a reservation even though they say not to

I hope this helps other guests. If you are looking for a fun weekend in the gaslamp area I would definitely try somewhere else, perhaps the Omni. Good luck!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CATraveler27
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I wish we had better met your expectations! While we are currently undergoing a renovation, we are extremely excited to show off our new spaces soon.

I apologize for any issues you had with our Talent, we pride ourselves on amazing service and the WOW factor. I will be taking your feedback back to the team. While not located in the Gaslamp Quarter, we are located within a few blocks, as well as near Little Italy. While our complimentary Acura service can get busy, we can always arrange transportation for larger groups at any time.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My girlfriends and I booked the W for our week long stay in San Diego, and had an amazing time! We couldn’t have asked for anything better. The location was great – only a 10 minute walk from Horton Plaza, the rooms were very clean and comfortable, but most importantly the customer service was impeccable!

Our concierge, James Reza, was absolutely wonderful! He was very helpful and knowledgeable in regards to restaurants, nightlife, and the best attractions to visit. He was very thoughtful and truly made our stay at the W delightful! He definitely left a great impression with us. Because of James, we will certainly be returning to the W in San Diego!

I would definitely recommend the W for anyone looking for a beautiful, fun, and relaxing hotel with great customer service!

Thank you to everyone at the W, especially James Reza, for making our trip unforgettable!

APK <3

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kal R
Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us! It is always a pleasure to read positive feedback, especially when it mentions our Talent by name. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to James, he is great!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Irvine, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Hotel is undergoing a significant renovation. I didn't hear any construction noise. Service was good. Room was nice if small.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for staying with us on your trip to San Diego! We are excited for our new look, and cannot wait to share it all. As the comfort of our guests is a top priority, I am glad that your stay with us was great.

I invite you back once we have finished, I know you will love it!

Thanks again,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Valet took so long to get the car when I checked in. The room smelled like smoke. The breakfast menu is overpriced for the quality of the food served. The pool "scene" is not even close to what I am use to in Los Angeles. The property is far cry from the W in Westwood and Hollywood.

Room Tip: Property is not even close to what you get elsewhere under the W brand.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

The beach restaurant's food is amazing! Service is impeccable and not snooty for such a top rate hotel and I've stayed all over the world. People here seem to genuinely want to please their guests. ESP the front desk staff and Spiro at the Beach rooftop bar. The whatever whenever service took care of everything we asked for!

• Stayed May 2012