“Very disappointing”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #105 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My experience at the W was so disappointing. The hotel is under renovation, they are under staffed. Service is so poor. I waited 40 minutes for ten to toast a bagel and ended up getting a cold bagel. The server was not helpful. The rooms are old and particularly the bathrooms. If somebody starts taking a shower next door while you are showering, the water suddenly turns so hot or so cold! I would never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Sandiegovisitor123
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Hello, and I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was anything less than fantastic.

We pride ourselves on our amazing Talent, and I am sad to hear that you did not receive what I know we usually present to our guests. While we are under renovation, we are scheduled to be completed in early June of this year!

Please consider checking us out on your next trip to San Diego, I know we won’t disappoint!

Thanks,

Brad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed here over Easter weekend with my daughter for a trip to the San Diego Zoo. Was a fabulous hotel, great beds, within walking distance of many attractions and restaurants.
Excellent W service. My only complaint is that the "beach" bar was closed for remodels while there - and I was looking forward to that place, one of the reasons we booked. Love SPG program, Westin beds and amenities. Everyone from the valet, bar tender, receptionist and concierge went above and beyond.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Oakland
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed at W San Diego on business and everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The rooms have every modern amenity and who doesn't love those Bliss bath products! Their new restaurant Kelvin just opened this weekend and the food is delicious. The hotel is centrally located to everything - from Horton Plaza for Shopping to Seaport Village for running along the waterfront to Little Italy for great restaurants and bars and even a short walk to the Gaslamp district with SO MUCH entertainment. The San Diego trolly is a block away and the hotel also has 2 Acura cars to drive you within a few miles of the hotel - tres convenient! I highly recommend W San Diego to anyone wanting a fun atmosphere with great food and a convenient location. Oh and don't forget to check out their newly renovated Beach Bar...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Orange County Cali
Reviewed 20 May 2012

So we arrive and the check in was a little crowded but moved very quickly, we did a pre check in because we showed up at 11am and threw our suits on and went directly to the rooftop deck, can you say amazing? Both days we layed on this bed that was the size of a queen bed and soaked up e sun with amazing food and unbelievable service both days!!! Chris and Clay are the bomb, they catered to our every need and made sure that we were taken care of!!!! So we get to our room and it was stunning, due to some unfortunate circumstances we got an upgrade to a suite and it was worth the bad experience we had encountered before! We get ready for dinner and they have a car that will drop you off to anywhere you wanna go within five miles! Saved us on taxi rides two nights! Then we had lunch at kelvin, it's new, a little different but we love those kind of places, we're up for trying new things!!!! I think our entire experience hands down goes to Spiro, without him this vacation would never been so wonderful! The staff and effort everyone put into making this stay wonderful was WAY beyond our expectations!!!! I would say the only downfall was the construction but that didn't affect our stay one bit, if anything next year we will be able to enjoy the hotel at its very finest, not that it isn't already! Spiro, Clay and Chris, thank you!

Room Tip: this place is great for a nice relaxing weekend!,
Manchester, England
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in May, Thursday to Sunday. SPG Gold so were upgraded to a higher floor. Main bar was closed so they put on free wine and snacks. The room was lovely, not very big but nicely decorated clean and fresh. Tried out the gym a couple of times, excellent. Always a wait to speak to someone at the front desk but staff were friendly enough. Used the car service a few times, note if you book you can get dropped to the airport. Great spot, not far from the other SPG properties if you are undecided on location. A couple of blocks walk to the main bars / food places.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello, and thanks for posting a review of your recent stay!

I am glad we were able to recognize your SPG status with a room upgrade! We love our loyal guests, and it always makes a trip that much better to receive recognition.

Thank you for mentioning SWEAT, we recently just upgraded it with all new work out equipment and are proud of it!

Thanks again, and hopefully see you next time you are in the San Diego area.

Brad
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is not your older brothers W! I was disappointed with the quality of my stay at this W hotel. the room was mot 4 star, nor we're the facilities. I walked into my room directly into a spider web. Turned on the lights and met my freeloading neighbor with 8 legs. The room was small. I could hear the sounds of running water from the rooms above and to the side of me. Parking is $35/day and Internet $14.99.

It is about 10 blocks from the Gaslamp and situated close to the courthouse? At night you must walk the gauntlet past the many homeles that call this part of downtown San Diego home.

For my money there are at least 10 superior hotels in a similar price range that are closer to the Gaslamp, convention center, Petco Field, or water front. I would not reccomend unless you get a great rate or are desperate for a room in this area. I give it 2.5 - 3 stars

Room Tip: Top floor. Then you don't hear plumbing from floor above
New York
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here for a nice weekend getaway and we had an amazing time. Check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were super-friendly and personable. Since we arrived around lunch time we ordered room service. The whatever/whenever desk staff were also great. Our food arrived promptly. The rosemary chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries were amazing. We also checked out the rooftop bar which just opened. There was a great lounge/bar vibe happening. There were cabanas, comfy deck chairs and a nice bar. I ordered one of the W signature cocktails- I think it was called a lemondrop? The hotel is just about finished doing renovations and I can't wait to see the finished product. If it looks anything like the new rooftop bar it will look amazing. I did get a sneak peek at the new restaurant opening. The food was super fresh and delicious. I can't wait until they officially open so I can come back and sample the final menu! We like to take weekend getaways and will definitely come back to the W.