“Amazing attention to detail & incredibly helpful staff!”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #108 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Columbus, Ohio
“Amazing attention to detail & incredibly helpful staff!”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This hotel is super posh and the best price we could find with the location we wanted. Just minutes walking from Gaslamp, Little Italy, and Hillcrest, the W puts you right where you want to be for great food and fun nightlife! The hotel itself offers a really hip and fun atmosphere and an incredibly helpful and friendly staff! Every time we asked for a recommendation on a restaurant or a place to check-out, they gave us great advice that was awesome every time! The rooms were very contemporary, but comfortable with plenty of space (and a really cool window chase lounge!) They also offer a car service that will take you places around the city at no charge! I have nothing but excellent things to say about this place! A must-stay for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JBthatsme
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay in San Diego! I am so glad you loved the location, we are conveniently located downtown between Gaslamp and Little Italy.
I do hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Brad W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Its a very cool hotel with nice rooms and attention to details. The staff is friendly and professional. The bars and restaurants of this hotel is awesome and the after work lounge is great way to finish up work in a nice way.

2 Thank MartinGranstrom
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Spent one night here on business. Decent enough location that seemed walkable to many of the attractions/restaurants of downtown San Diego. Check in was smooth and since my room wasn't ready, the front desk offered to call my cell to advise when it was ready for check-in. I thought this was a nice touch and allowed me to walk down to the Gaslamp Dist for lunch. Bar staff and bell staff were friendly and welcoming.

Had a "Wonderful Room" which was starting to show its age. The carpet was dirty bordering on filthy in many places and the other furnishings in the room seemed dated and worn. The bathroom featured the usual W amenities, but the shower had a half screen, which meant that the bathroom floor was wet by the time I was done showering.

All in all, not the usual high-quality W experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Hello, and thank you staying at W San Diego on your recent trip! We do see a lot of business travelers due to our downtown location.

I am sorry to see your room was not up to standards, I will be sure to let our Style department know. It is always our intention to provide immaculate rooms for each of our guests.
I hope you enjoyed lunch at Gaslamp, next time you will have to try our new restaurant Kelvin!
Looking forward to welcoming you back again,

las vegas
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The staff is very helpful. The decor appealing. The bed super comfy. But it's nearly midnight and I can't sleep because of the loud music coming from the hotel's club. I wanted a hotel for sleeping not a rave.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank christiepooh
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the room and our Talent, but I am sorry to see your stay was less than relaxing.

While W San Diego does have a great Rooftop Bar, we usually do not hear too many issues with guests reporting noise. As a hub of the nightlife, we often have music playing, especially on weekends.

I do hope next time you are looking for a fun night out, you think of us.

Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Overall all was a good stay. I titled this "Trying too hard" because of this:
1. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the room was a 4ft x 4ft chalk board on the wall (see the picture). With chalk and eraser. Yes, the board was clean, but really? A chalk board?
2. The shower must be one of those "new wave" things. It was half of a glass panel and the panel had a big hole in it (see the picture). I guess you put your hand in the hole to turn on the shower and adjust the temp. BUT, when you take a shower the water gets everywhere! I had to put a towel on the toilet - otherwise it was soaked by the water spraying through the hole, the shower mat and an extra towel were drenched after the shower, too. Maybe I just don't get it, I don't know.
3. At night the bar area turns into a loud heavy bass teenie-bopper pop music place. Don't know why, most of the guests I saw were older than 12 years old and at least half of them weren't female.
4. The room had two bottles of wine and two glasses in it too (looks like $20 for a 1/2 a bottle) as well as snacks and a "Get Lucky Essentials" kit containing condoms, lubricant and a pair if breath mints.
Besides all that, the bed was outstanding for sleep! There is a Karl Strauss Brewery/Pub literally two minutes away and WELL worth going to.
The staff, I must say, were absolutely great! VERY happy to go out of their way to help you out. I did notice, though, that the valet guys/doormen were the best informed about how to get to places - other staff were less knowledgeable about directions and where things are.
Overall, a very good stay I must say.

Room Tip: A usual the higher the floor the quieter the night. Did not stay on a high floor but do not think t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your stay with us. Guest feedback is vital for us to ensure we are creating great stays for our guests.
I am sorry to see you did not enjoy some of the lighthearted elements we have in our rooms. The chalkboards tend to be guest favorites! Our Style department likes to leave notes, and guests usually get a kick out of leaving their mark during their stay. Those little touches, along with the vibrant nightlife, is a keystone of the W brand. All of our hotels, while differing in locale and design, share these elements across the world. We feature guest DJ’s at our Living Room and Rooftop Bars, and the music can vary from night to night.

I will definitely pass your feedback along on the shower, as it should keep the water in the shower!

I do hope you return in the future, I know we would love to welcome you back!

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 February 2013

The W was clean and the employees were very nice and helpful. It is a modern/contemporary hotel. Wifi is free down in lobby but not in the room. We also had to call down for a coffee maker, we didn't know if it was an over site or they don't put them in rooms. I took advantage of the free "Acura experience" shuttle service. They offer this for anywhere you what to go but I don't think they pick you up from places. The roof top bar was nice and the food was really good.

Room Tip: Get a room with water view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
It is always a pleasure to know our Talent impressed our guests, we take service very seriously! We are pleased to offer complimentary high speed wireless internet in our Living Room for all of our guests.

Coffee makers are available upon request in room, but we also offer complimentary coffee in our Living Room daily as well. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our Acura service! You are correct, it is a complimentary one way trip.

We recently renovated our Rooftop bar, and I am thrilled you had a chance to experience it!
Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Had to stay one night on business recently traveling through San Diego, check in staff courteous, and quick, room was very clean and well maintained, and extremely comfortable. Parking is my pet peeve, so I normally valet, it's $35 a night here, not bad, and really convenient. Executive Admin Kiana helped with a minor booking snafu on my part, made everything work out, thank you for that. Definitely will stay again, and would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business