“It was a very posh experience, but it smelled like farts.”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #110 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Posh hotel. Had a really good stay on my business trip. Cool place to party. I really liked the rooftop bar, twas a good place to read and drink a glass of wine in the sun. The pool room was small but cute. The lobby smelled like farts all the time, however. What's up with that? Luckily the room didn't smell like that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Hi Jeanne,

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! The Rooftop Bar is a popular spot for locals and guests alike. Our hotel has a fresh vanilla bourbon scent pumped throughout The Living Room. It's so popular, we sell the scent on our website.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Best,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had a quick layover on our way back from Maui and crashed here between flights. It is a really cool hotel. Everything from the light fixtures to the bowl of apples looks like a piece of art. The bellman and the gentleman at the desk were very nice and professional. The room and the entire hotel was spotless. They have a cute jar of gummy bears and other snacks on the desk. The bed was very comfortable. I wish we could have stayed longer. This isn't your typical hotel, it's swanky and cool.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Spent two nights at the W San Diego with three friends before starting a road trip through the National Parks and the service was superb from before my arrival. Megan, their Insider, did a great job of getting me hip to her city within just a couple of e-mails (pages I printed out and brought along on our travel folder for the trip.

Upon arriving, Natalia made the check in easy, and James was the Concierge on duty for two days - he definitely guided us in the right direction (Karl Strauss Brewing Company right around the corner from the hotel was a great suggestion).

The hotel is pretty centrally located, and walking distance to restaurants/bars downtown, and a quick cab ($23 on UberX) from Pacific Beach - maybe a little farther to La Jolla. Rooms are modern and comfortable, as expected with W. Definitely a great SPG experience, and one I look forward to repeating my next time in San Diego!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Service was excellent as every staff member was professional and helpful. Check in was a breeze. My room was ready right away. I do think the rooms need a little updating as the coats of pain are starting to show and there should be a better solution to block light from the windows to sleep (it's good so far but could be better).

My room was pretty quiet and was clean (as it should be). I went by the pool for a little bit, it's more of a large bathtub than a pool but it's nice to have something to cool off on a hot day.

I found the location to be lacking a little bit, it's pretty quiet on a weekend. You are walking distance from the train station and little Italy. Valet is pricey, I believe around $35 so I recommend that if you have AAA you book their AAA rate which gives you free valet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The W is fantastic. It's conveniently located in downtown just a few minutes walk to the Gas Lamp. The costumer service is top notch. I opted for the valet service and was impressed how quickly they always got my car. The roof deck bar is cool but is sorta a scene. It's not typically my kind of bar but it's still a fun place to grad a drink,

Room Tip: When I stayed there was construction right outside my window. Request a room away from the construc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Dan!

Thank you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are just a short distance from all the top downtown attractions. If you need any recommendations, please allow us to introduce you to our Insider Megan. She would be glad to tell you about a few of her favorite spots nearby.

See you next time,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Location is pretty good - you can easily get to the Gaslamp district on foot in about 20 mins, or 10 mins to the seafront and the USS Midway. The hotel decor is what really stands out - both in the lobby and in the bedrooms, this hotel oozes "coolness". Rooms were clean and modern, including the bathrooms. Breakfast was a la carte only in the hotel restaurant, and the quality of the food was good. The only downside I would say was that I don't like when hotels don't have a basic web browsing package for free for guests. I can understand paying for high-bandwidth wifi, but guests should have some kind of free wifi. I know this isn't the only hotel that does this, but I will ding any hotel in a review that does not have some free option. All staff were very friendly, polite and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I threw my friend a 30th birthday at The W's Rooftop bar and everything went perfectly. The staff was friendly, extremely helpful and accommodating and very generous. The pasty chef made a delicious, customized cake for the birthday girl and it was enjoyed by all. We had our own cabana space and cocktail waitress, they allowed me to decorate the cabana and we were close to the fire (it was a bit chilly that night). Would definitely host another party here!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Erin,

We are so glad to celebrate your friends birthday with you! Getting the details perfect is our specialty. Our Rooftop Bar cabana is the perfect spot to celebrate, especially by our fire pit. We look forward to welcoming back soon!

Cheers,