“Stranded outside my room multiple times” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #104 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Stranded outside my room multiple times”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The lobby is great & I loved the music & vibe but I agree with others that say it's noisy and not a good place to chat. & chill.

The rooms are not as luxurious as other Ws I stayed in & the walls are thin so I got to listen to the couple next door fighting all night.

The worst thing though was that it took three trips to the lobby to persuade them that the lock on our hotel room door is faulty. We're now at the third request for repair in 12 hours stranded outside our room for the third time with no-one arriving to help as was promised.

Never coming back here again and never recommending this place to anyone.

If you need wifi and to park your car remember to add another $45 per day to the cost of your room. It's not such a bargain after all.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fuvion
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hello,

We are a lively hotel. We host live DJ performances every weekend, and a few other events throughout the month. In the morning we offer complimentary coffee and Wi-Fi. It's not as busy in the morning if you are looking to relax and get ready for your day.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience of being locked out of your room a few times. We don't usually have issues with our room keys, but I'm glad we could get you into your room. I hope to welcome you back soon. Please reach out to me directly at GMMichael.ODonohue@whotels.com so that we might come to a better resolution.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Michael O.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bologna, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Well, as usual I highlight the PRO and CONTRA of many of the hotels I visit, but this time I will go beyond, reporting a personal issue
PRO:
- relatively charming. Interesting lobby
- good breakfast even though way too expensive
- The rooms are quite large, well decorated

CONTRA:
- The lobby is very noisy, especially during the evening. The rooms (at least those facing west) are very disturbed by the ongoing construction, starting at 6 am
- It is walking distance from the city attractions (i.e. the sea and Gaslamp quarter, if you wanted to call them attractions, in a city without any real charme), but it is located in an area desert at night and full of homeless.
BUT, the real problem was another. I left my Ralph Lauren pajamas (trousers and shirt) over the bed sheets in my room. On my return,the pajamas disappeared. I went downstairs to report the case and they seemed not surprised at all. "It happens sometimes" they said. As a matter of fact I met later another guest that was facing a similar problem. The day after the trousers were found and they were returned to me dirty and in a small bag. I complained because my shirt disappeared. The security manager was called and we had an "animated" discussion, because he claimed that the hotel had no responsibility, despite he said that the maid probably took linens and pajamas together by mistake, to send it to the laundry. We clarified the issue with the security manager, that was kind enough to notify the front desk to keep looking for my shirt.
I left 3 days later, and nothing happened. Now, the loss of the shirt is not a big deal, but no single word of excuses was given to me on my departure.
The US hotels (from the most simple to the most luxurious) are well known for the care of their guests. It happened to me few times in the US that for smaller issues than this, I received apologies, upgrade of the room or even discount. What I really needed this time was only this sentence "We are sorry for what happened, I hope you will come back anyhow"
Nothing happened. No way that I will come back there.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank drGaynor
Hello,

There is a bit of construction going on around us but we are doing everything we can to ensure it doesn't disturb our guests. We are limited in our options but do provide ear plugs and an ambient noise machine in the room to help block any noise that might disturb you.

Our stylists are always careful to ensure there are no clothes wrapped in the white bed sheets as the change them, but it can happen on very rare occasions. I'm glad to hear we could locate your pajama pants. We couldn't find your shirt and I assure you we did everything we could to find it. I apologize for the miscommunication regarding your missing pajamas. Our talent is known for their friendly and helpful demeanor. I do hope that we can welcome you back for another stay.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here in Feb 14 for business. The checkin process was smooth and a bit different. I had never stayed in a W before, and it took a few minutes to get used to the "vibe". They use different words like "wet" to describe the pool. Its unique, and adds a little fun.

In the evening from 1700-1800 they have complimentary wine for SPG members. You have a choice between a red and white. It isn't anything fancy, but it is a nice gesture and way to start your evening.

Parking was a hassle. The first night I got a parking ticket because I didn't read the sign properly. The city cleans the streets every other night. One night they do the left, the next the right. Just make sure you are on the correct side for the next morning and you'll be ok. You can probably find on street parking if you get back before 1900.

The pool/gym are small for a hotel of this size, but it didn't appear either was heavily used. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but they have a nice seating area on the 3rd level roof.

The room was spacious and clean. My room was quiet and had everything I needed.

If I were to stay in San Diego again, I probably wouldn't stay here though. The location is right in the middle of the city, but you will have to walk 6-10 blocks in either direction to get to places to eat. If you don't mind walking, it is a perfect location. Since I was with a group, half wanted to walk and the other half didn't. If you're coming back at night there is a jail or some kind of drug intake program a block over from the hotel. I didn't have any issues, but it may make some feel uncomfortable.

Room Tip: 19th floor (I think) facing north is a decent view of the city. Streets are quiet at night so don...
Green Features: The hotel participates in the "make a green choice". You get 500 starpoints for each day you decline housekeeping. They don't give the vouchers like other hotels, but if your points don't post a few days after your stay you can email the hotel directly.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Goosebump6
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We love inviting our guests to hang out in The Living Room and enjoy some complimentary coffee or wine. The music is always good and the comfortable seating makes for the perfect start to your day. We also offer complimentary Wi-Fi in The Living Room if you need to get a few things done. You are more than welcome to park on the street. We recommend valet so as to avoid any parking tickets. There is limited parking downtown, so we try to make it as convenient as possible for our guests. We are located just a few steps from Little Italy. If you need some help finding places nearby, please connect with our Insider Megan. She'd be glad to show you around.

I hope we can welcome you back for another stay.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 10AM for a check in and great news, they had a room ready for us! Now we wanted to pay the room and tax in cash up front and leave a credit card deposit so we didn't have to deal with the payment the next morning and having a horrific currency exchange rate on our credit card. Sophie at the front desk seemed to have had a difficult time understanding this, and when she finally got it she overcharged us by $20. We asked her about it and she claims they have really high taxes, we know this wasn't right as our email confirmation had the correct rate on it with all taxes included. We came down after dropping off our luggage and met with another front desk agent, she wasn't sure what Sophie had done but it was a mistake nonetheless. Aside from that, Megan at the concierge desk was wonderful, very friendly. She knows the area well and recommended some great places for dinner and drinks.
Onto the room part... for a W hotel, this property definitely needs some TLC. The carpets were disgustingly stained. I did not, for even a second wanted to step on that floor in my bare feet. The furniture had chips all over them. It was overall unimpressive. The best part, there was a dead smushed up crane fly by the window that's been there for who knows how long. Housekeeping definitely lacking attention to details.
Amenities... pool was decent. Complimentary wifi in the lobby is great. Made it easy for us to figure out our day (business hours, rates, locations, etc..) without the hefty roaming charges. We went up to the rooftop bar in the evening, had chicken wings, sliders, and the basil sangria. All were delicious.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the W in May for a holiday and really loved this hotel. It has a super cool modern vibe, beautiful decor, nice scent in the lobby and all staff is helpful and professional.

The location is great, close walk to gaslamp, little italy and seaport district. So many good options within a 10 or 15 minute walk for good dining but I have to say Kelvin restaurant at the hotel is pretty fantastic too. We had breakfast there twice and snacks in the lobby one night and all of it was delicious!

Wifi and valet is pricey yes, but this is pretty standard for most decent hotels these days. We had no complaints about our room, it was spotless and comfy. Handy to have the well stocked mini bar and snacks. I'll definitely make it back there some day for another stay!

Room Tip: Pool is open 24/7 so a lower floor room overlooking pool can be noisy if there is people swimming la...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

So, had a conference in San Diego to attend and got a package deal with Expedia for a decent price. First impression: parking is a nightmare. We got there and were informed we needed to park our rental car on the street or pay $37 a day for valet service (even the valet said it was ridiculous).

Went to check in and our room wasn't ready for about 5 hours after we checked in (around 4 pm). They gave us a $50 credit to make up for it.

Wireless or wired internet in your room cost $15 per day.

The rooms are nice enough, they try a little hard to be trendy.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hi Evan,

You will find that our valet parking is in line with what other hotels in the area charge. Parking downtown is very limited, but finding a spot on the street or a nearby lot is also an option. Check-in is at 3pm but there are cases when we are sold out or have guests checking out late. We do charge for wi-fi in all of our guestrooms, but invite you to enjoy complimentary coffee and wi-fi in The Living Room.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Posh hotel. Had a really good stay on my business trip. Cool place to party. I really liked the rooftop bar, twas a good place to read and drink a glass of wine in the sun. The pool room was small but cute. The lobby smelled like farts all the time, however. What's up with that? Luckily the room didn't smell like that.

Hi Jeanne,

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! The Rooftop Bar is a popular spot for locals and guests alike. Our hotel has a fresh vanilla bourbon scent pumped throughout The Living Room. It's so popular, we sell the scent on our website.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.