“Will never come back”

Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“Will never come back”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've stayed at many W hotels around the world and I can confirm that this hotel is NOT at the W standard even though it is almost the same price as other W's

Pros
Nice roof top bar

Cons
Unhelpful front desk staff
There is not much around the hotel open at weekends
Over priced valet parking (they park your car in the public car park across the street)
Paper thin room walls - I can't stress this enough. You will hear EVERYTHING at all times of the day!
Smell of weed in hallways
Wifi is $15!

We were woken at 2am by the next room having SEVEN people over for a party. Security asked them to leave which they did but again at 3.30 it started again. Security didn't come back again. The worst thing being they FORCE you to sign a disclaimer that you will not have more than 4 people in the rooms or kick you out. If you force everyone to sign that enforce it!

I will never go back or recommend this hotel to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nycmw
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I'm glad you had the opportunity to check out Rooftop Bar. It's a great spot in Downtown San Diego for kicking back with a cocktail and enjoying some live beats spun by local DJ's.

The parking available in downtown is very limited. You are welcome to find street parking if you would like. We do have a parking lot across the street that we use for our valet. We are in a great location to enjoy both Gaslamp Quarter or Little Italy. You can even take a short cab ride over to Mission Beach. If you need a few recommendations, let us connect you with our Insider Megan. She'd be happy to help.

If you have any issues throughout your stay, please let us know. While we did take care of the party next door, we won't know if the individuals returned without a call to our security team. We do enforce our 4 guests to a room policy, but don't police our guests. We never allow any guest to use drugs at our hotel and will immediately involve the authorities should this occur.

I hope we can welcome you back for a different experience.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pros: excellent customer service, like most W's. Fast check in / out.
Excellent internet speed.
Roof Top Bar (which is on the second floor, by the way) is a great place for drinks and a movie. They will provide blankets if it is chilly.
Located between little Italy and the Grass Lamp District.

Cons: not a good location. Very deserted area at night.
Breakfast: no buffet breakfast, just expensive a la carte items. If you want buffet breakfast, go down a block to the Westin and for $18.00 you can have it. At the W you will get a fancy omelet for that price.
Rooms: I got an upgrade to an Spectacular room, which was very comfortable, but there was nothing "spectacular" about it. Having stayed at 5 W's in last 6 months, I can definitely say not all W's are created equal.
As I do not mind walking down deserted streets at night, I would probably stay here again for the SPG benefits.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lgoncalves
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although a decent hotel, I don't think this location is up the the standard you'd expect from the W franchise.

A reasonable walk from the center of town, or a taxi ride further reduces the allure.

I would stay elsewhere next time in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Martin J
Hi Martin,

While we aren't the newest W Hotel, we do our best to ensure that each experience is up to our standards. We always deliver on our Whatever/Whenever service, make sure each guest is well taken care of. We are within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy. If you need some recommendations, please allow us to connect you with our Insider Megan. She would be glad to show you around.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am a frequent traveler and have been staying at Starwood Hotels for over 10 years, never having a complaint--but this hotel, its management and security are not representative of the W or Starwood Brand--it is my worst hotel experience ever! If looking for a good Starwood Hotel in San Diego go to the Westin or Sheraton, not the W! This place is horrible. I had a screaming, obnoxious party room next store. Despite a few calls to the front desk they non-guests were not evicted till 4am. Then the guest proceed to beat his girlfriend while she cried out for help, and ultimately ran down the hall screaming. Again no security. When complaining to management the next day they said they were not responsible for enforcing noise policies or domestic violence in the hotel--really?! Don't stay here it does not represent the Starwood Brand well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank 5traveler55555
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello,

We hold the security and comfort of our guests as the highest priority during every stay. I have personally looked into the items mentioned and I have followed up to ensure all proper procedures were followed. We will contact you directly to discuss further. In the meantime, should you like to contact me, please reach out to GMMichael.ODonohue@whotels.com.

San Francisco, California, USA
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at the hotel the valet team is on Q with a welcoming and personable greeting. Alfonso was able to make the changes necessary to have an awesome three day weekend.

The SPG wine reception is awesome, great selection and personable staff, the Chardonnay was excellent.

First night, hotel room paper wall thin where you can hear EVERYTHING from the doors slamming to the person that's yelling and bang on the door open the door, bathrooms flushing!

Extremely noisy with the windows hearing all the construction and wind from a badly insulation.

Second night, next room had a domestic fight all night long only to end the morning with love making noises! Keys did not work had to walk down three times only to call the fourth time and have security open the door.

In the morning I went the front desk and told them my problem only to find my door still don't work and now waiting endlessly to get my door open.

Not sure what my third night will be but will DEFINITELY not be staying at this hotel again.

When your paying $1,200. Excluding tax, parking and the incidental charges for two rooms this is not the level of service or quality of accommodations.

Carpet needs replacing, rust
and discolorations in the
grouting and the list could go on.

Now I'm waiting in the hallway and I can now hear a woman screaming with intimate pleasures!

Not good, 20 minutes later and still waiting to get my door open.

1 Thank John L
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hi John,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the wine reception and found our talent to be friendly. They are always happy to ensure each of our guests feel welcome and are well taken care of. If you have any issues with guest noise, please let us know immediately. Our security team will handle the situation quickly so that you can have restful night of sleep. We are a lively hotel but our guest comfort is our highest priority.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience of being locked out of your room a few times. We don't usually have issues with our room keys but I'm glad we could get you into your room.

We are in the process of updating our guestrooms starting with replacing all of the carpets.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

The lobby is great & I loved the music & vibe but I agree with others that say it's noisy and not a good place to chat. & chill.

The rooms are not as luxurious as other Ws I stayed in & the walls are thin so I got to listen to the couple next door fighting all night.

The worst thing though was that it took three trips to the lobby to persuade them that the lock on our hotel room door is faulty. We're now at the third request for repair in 12 hours stranded outside our room for the third time with no-one arriving to help as was promised.

Never coming back here again and never recommending this place to anyone.

If you need wifi and to park your car remember to add another $45 per day to the cost of your room. It's not such a bargain after all.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fuvion
Hello,

We are a lively hotel. We host live DJ performances every weekend, and a few other events throughout the month. In the morning we offer complimentary coffee and Wi-Fi. It's not as busy in the morning if you are looking to relax and get ready for your day.

I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience of being locked out of your room a few times. We don't usually have issues with our room keys, but I'm glad we could get you into your room. I hope to welcome you back soon. Please reach out to me directly at GMMichael.ODonohue@whotels.com so that we might come to a better resolution.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Michael O.
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Well, as usual I highlight the PRO and CONTRA of many of the hotels I visit, but this time I will go beyond, reporting a personal issue
PRO:
- relatively charming. Interesting lobby
- good breakfast even though way too expensive
- The rooms are quite large, well decorated

CONTRA:
- The lobby is very noisy, especially during the evening. The rooms (at least those facing west) are very disturbed by the ongoing construction, starting at 6 am
- It is walking distance from the city attractions (i.e. the sea and Gaslamp quarter, if you wanted to call them attractions, in a city without any real charme), but it is located in an area desert at night and full of homeless.
BUT, the real problem was another. I left my Ralph Lauren pajamas (trousers and shirt) over the bed sheets in my room. On my return,the pajamas disappeared. I went downstairs to report the case and they seemed not surprised at all. "It happens sometimes" they said. As a matter of fact I met later another guest that was facing a similar problem. The day after the trousers were found and they were returned to me dirty and in a small bag. I complained because my shirt disappeared. The security manager was called and we had an "animated" discussion, because he claimed that the hotel had no responsibility, despite he said that the maid probably took linens and pajamas together by mistake, to send it to the laundry. We clarified the issue with the security manager, that was kind enough to notify the front desk to keep looking for my shirt.
I left 3 days later, and nothing happened. Now, the loss of the shirt is not a big deal, but no single word of excuses was given to me on my departure.
The US hotels (from the most simple to the most luxurious) are well known for the care of their guests. It happened to me few times in the US that for smaller issues than this, I received apologies, upgrade of the room or even discount. What I really needed this time was only this sentence "We are sorry for what happened, I hope you will come back anyhow"
Nothing happened. No way that I will come back there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank drGaynor
Hello,

There is a bit of construction going on around us but we are doing everything we can to ensure it doesn't disturb our guests. We are limited in our options but do provide ear plugs and an ambient noise machine in the room to help block any noise that might disturb you.

Our stylists are always careful to ensure there are no clothes wrapped in the white bed sheets as the change them, but it can happen on very rare occasions. I'm glad to hear we could locate your pajama pants. We couldn't find your shirt and I assure you we did everything we could to find it. I apologize for the miscommunication regarding your missing pajamas. Our talent is known for their friendly and helpful demeanor. I do hope that we can welcome you back for another stay.