“Excellent service, average amenities”

Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel
Ranked #111 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Missoula, Montana
“Excellent service, average amenities”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I find the hotel accommodations average, but the service for me has been excellent. Very friendly staff at the desk, valet, and Kelvin restaurant. Food in the restaurant was terrific albeit pricey for soup and salad. Rooms don't have a refrig, microwave, or comfortable chair, had to use the bed to read which is a disappointment for this price. Location is close to ocean walk but you do have to walk through some questionable areas and cross rat racks to get to it. Overall this place is average for amenities but above average for service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mtarmygriz
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hello!

We are currently in the process of refreshing many aspects of our hotel. Most recently we underwent a 2 million dollar renovation of our Living Room, Kelvin and Rooftop Bar. We do have a refrigerator in all of our guest rooms and are happy to remove the minibar contents so that you can use it however your choose. If you need anything else, just ask. The window seat is a popular spot for our guests to relax with a book or catch up some work.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I'm am here right now. I book this through name your own price on priceline.com. I'm am very disappointed. There is no jacuzzi, the pool is tiny. There is no coffee maker, refrigerator or microwave in the room. I'm wondering what makes this
a 4 star hotel? I would never spend this much money on a hotel of this caliber. I'm really disappointed. The carpet in the room is really
stained also. I tried to cancel but of course since I did it through priceline couldn't. I just wanted to warn people that it's not a star quality. I wish I could cancel the remainder of my stay.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Johnathan C
Hi Johnathan,

We do our best to ensure all of our guests are well informed on what our hotel has to offer before they arrive. However, it is difficult for us to communicate many details with you when you book with a third party. We always invite you to call us with any questions prior to your arrival so that you might enjoy every aspect of your stay. If you need anything at all throughout your stay, please give us a call at Whatever/Whenever. We will will be glad to bring a coffeemaker to your room or empty your fridge before your stay so that you can use it for anything you wish. We are in the process of replacing all of our carpeting and should be finished very soon.

I hope we can welcome you back for a different experience.

Tulsa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have to say I disagree with the people who say they were wishing for more. I had a great stay. Yes, parking overnight is $37 but since there is constuction in the area it was nice to be able to come and go as we please and not have to worry about it.
I also have to say that I LOVED the soap! It smelled amazing!
One of my favorite things about the hotel was that they offered fruit water and had rice crispie treats. That was kind of a fun surprise.
Also, it IS within walking distance of both Little Italy and the Gas Lamp Quarter. Yes it is a few blocks but def. doable.

Beds were amazing
Customer service was AWESOME
Great location - right in the middle of downtown
LOVED the coffee bar in the mornings
Also loved that you had to use a key for the elevators to take you anywhere...so it was a nice security measure.
It IS a pricey place to stay but I am not sure what the average cost per night is in California.

Room Tip: Use the valet parking they get your car to you fast and are super friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charity P
Hi Charity!

I couldn't say it better myself! We are always looking for new ways to take care of our guests. it's the little things that make for a great stay. Take as many rice crispie treats as you want! I'm glad you enjoyed them! We are in a great spot to walk over the Little Italy or Gaslamp Quarter. If you need a few recommendations, please let us introduce you to our Insider, Megan. She'd be glad to show you around and give you a few recommendations.

We look forward to seeing you back soon!

Setauket, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I spent 5 days at the "W" earlier this month; and,we expected it to be as wonderful as it is in other locations - this is certainly way-off the mark from the "W" in NYC. To begin with, the location, which is right outside of Little Italy..is not really within walking distance of the Gaslamp District as is advertised...unless a 25-30 minute walk is your idea of close... The cost of parking in any city Hotel is never a bargain, but, $37.00 was new record for us...In San Diego, for the most part there is only on-street metered parking, or, self-serve parking lots and I found only one that offered "overnight" parking - however, you did have to walk a few blocks through an area of homeless people and drunks - a little sketchy...
On the plus side - the rooms, while small, were a departure from the usual hotel room with an "all-white" decor and a somewhat awkward window seat in place of a balcony. I agree with other reviews that for the per night price demanded - they should provide free WiFi and not charge a daily fee of $15.00...let's face it - how long is anyone going to stay online in their room? However, the downstairs Living Room where we spent each morning "online" was very comfortable and cozy with a number of private nook seating. The free coffee each morning in the lobby was delish - a step up from the burnt Bunn coffee you see too often. The customer service was impeccable and the Rooftop lounge was a nightly stopover with drink specials and/or "Happy Hour" specials almost every night.
All in all we enjoyed our stay - but left "w"ishing for more.

Green Features: They have a "Green" Plan which offers 500 W Star Rewards for each day that you forgo maid service which we decided to try - did need to request that someone restock the toiletries...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank amazn57
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've stayed at many W hotels around the world and I can confirm that this hotel is NOT at the W standard even though it is almost the same price as other W's

Pros
Nice roof top bar

Cons
Unhelpful front desk staff
There is not much around the hotel open at weekends
Over priced valet parking (they park your car in the public car park across the street)
Paper thin room walls - I can't stress this enough. You will hear EVERYTHING at all times of the day!
Smell of weed in hallways
Wifi is $15!

We were woken at 2am by the next room having SEVEN people over for a party. Security asked them to leave which they did but again at 3.30 it started again. Security didn't come back again. The worst thing being they FORCE you to sign a disclaimer that you will not have more than 4 people in the rooms or kick you out. If you force everyone to sign that enforce it!

I will never go back or recommend this hotel to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nycmw
Michael O, General Manager at Renaissance San Diego Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I'm glad you had the opportunity to check out Rooftop Bar. It's a great spot in Downtown San Diego for kicking back with a cocktail and enjoying some live beats spun by local DJ's.

The parking available in downtown is very limited. You are welcome to find street parking if you would like. We do have a parking lot across the street that we use for our valet. We are in a great location to enjoy both Gaslamp Quarter or Little Italy. You can even take a short cab ride over to Mission Beach. If you need a few recommendations, let us connect you with our Insider Megan. She'd be happy to help.

If you have any issues throughout your stay, please let us know. While we did take care of the party next door, we won't know if the individuals returned without a call to our security team. We do enforce our 4 guests to a room policy, but don't police our guests. We never allow any guest to use drugs at our hotel and will immediately involve the authorities should this occur.

I hope we can welcome you back for a different experience.

Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pros: excellent customer service, like most W's. Fast check in / out.
Excellent internet speed.
Roof Top Bar (which is on the second floor, by the way) is a great place for drinks and a movie. They will provide blankets if it is chilly.
Located between little Italy and the Grass Lamp District.

Cons: not a good location. Very deserted area at night.
Breakfast: no buffet breakfast, just expensive a la carte items. If you want buffet breakfast, go down a block to the Westin and for $18.00 you can have it. At the W you will get a fancy omelet for that price.
Rooms: I got an upgrade to an Spectacular room, which was very comfortable, but there was nothing "spectacular" about it. Having stayed at 5 W's in last 6 months, I can definitely say not all W's are created equal.
As I do not mind walking down deserted streets at night, I would probably stay here again for the SPG benefits.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lgoncalves
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although a decent hotel, I don't think this location is up the the standard you'd expect from the W franchise.

A reasonable walk from the center of town, or a taxi ride further reduces the allure.

I would stay elsewhere next time in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Martin J
Hi Martin,

While we aren't the newest W Hotel, we do our best to ensure that each experience is up to our standards. We always deliver on our Whatever/Whenever service, make sure each guest is well taken care of. We are within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy. If you need some recommendations, please allow us to connect you with our Insider Megan. She would be glad to show you around.

We hope to welcome you back soon.