“young, hip, and fun”

Dining options: After-hours
San Diego, California
“young, hip, and fun”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was here for a friend's birthday.

It is not exactly in Little Italy. It is on Kettner leading into Little Italy which makes parking a tad bit easier but close enough to walk over to.

The beer selection is fabulous. They have a nice cross selection of local and import beers. My female friends enjoyed the wine selection but not the cocktail selection to much. The soju drinks were not quite what they expected. The sake sampler was the awesome. You get to pick any three for $11. A good deal to try some new drinks.

The food was pretty good. I got there early and ordered the chicken bowl while I was waiting. It was very tasty with the wasabi, salsa, and avocado. The pizza was very good. For the birthday party, pizza was available so I got try several different pizzas. They were all good.

I like the chalk board for today's thoughts by the bathroom. The upper bar is nice for a semi private function. You get your own bar area but it is still open to see what else is happening and not closed off.

They have a little shopping area in the corner where you can buy some of the bottled beers. I did not check out the prices so I do not know how they compare to other bottle shops in San DIego.

• Visited May 2013

La Jolla, California, United States
“Young and fun attitude”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The name of this bar/restaurant might make you think of that old drinking song "98 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" but, once you go there, you realize its style is not slobbery at all. In fact, it's a great place to discover the joys of taste. By that I mean the bartenders enjoy what they are doing and can recommend selections as if they work in an upscale wine bar - but it has a great line-up of craft beers as well. The decor is warehouse chic and invites interactions with strangers as well as friends. The only downsides are a lack of street parking and somewhat of a hidden signage.

• Visited May 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“What an awesome bar!”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I selected this place because it was about as close as I could grab a pre-concert drink to the Casbah, where I was scheduled to watch Redd Kross play. But it turned out to be a superb choice. The place has nice decor and an excellent crowd. I was a stranger to San Diego, and travelling alone, but I struck up conversations with several of the locals, and they were a cool and friendly bunch, several of whom allowed my to sample their beers.

The bar staff were just as good, taking time at each round to enquire about the customer's preferences, and make suggestions. They stock beers from around the world, both on tap and in bottles, and they are clearly knowledgeable about all of them.

I didn't order food at 98 Bottles, though I perused the menu, and it looked good. But I met and befriended a guy in there who let me have some of his Ahi pizza and it was spectacular. If we had not been about ready to leave I would have ordered one of my own. And I'm still regretting that I didn't have time to do so.

In back there is a performance space, and a local band was playing there that night. I didn't get chance to check them out, but what I heard sounded good - and any place that encourages live music is good with me.

98 Bottles is a world class bar. While it's a little way from "downtown" if you are travelling to San Diego it's well worth the short walk, drive or cab ride. I will definitely go back there.

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite place in Littly Italy!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This place is amazing!! Tasty dishes you do not want to miss out on include any/all flatbreads, the strawberry beer, any ahi dish, the epic cheese platter, a variety of microbrews, and some dishes that rotate in and out. The owners are awesome, personable people who are always refining the ambiance, for the better. We met them about 2 months after they opened 98 Bottles and have been going back since. This makes a great place to meet friends or business associates. As well, they host comedy shows, movie nights, art shows, dance classes, and a number of other activities meant to encourage social interaction (v. sitting around watching tv screens or mindless music). Favorite place in Littly Italy!!

• Visited September 2012
Auburn, California
“Incredible food, great beer, and the most friendly staff (and owner)!”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were immensely impressed with Jill, one of the owners, who talked with us at length about local areas to visit and about their establishment. They made us delicious ahi tuna flatbread which was followed by even more delicious garden flatbread. Their beer choices were excellent, wine choices were pretty good, but Danny and Faisal were incredibly attentive and friendly, adding to the experience. They, as well as Jill, made 98 Bottles very welcoming and enjoyable. We look forward to going back!

• Visited August 2012