“great staff, easy location, great base to explore SD” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway
Ranked #88 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Vancouver
“great staff, easy location, great base to explore SD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The residence inn is literally 2 min off the highway exit, which makes it easy to get to your SD attractions, as well as 2 min to grocery, drug stores and fast food restaurants.
We had a one bed room for our family of 4. We made good use of the kitchen and made lunches for our visit of the Balboa park and zoo. Having a kitchen is definitely a plus for us, as we saved money from cooking our own meals.
There is free parking and wifi, but slowwwww wifi during popular web surfing hours (9~11pm etc)
Just make sure to use the interenet first thing when you wake up, and it should work just fine.
There is a pretty decent comp breakfast with DIY waffles, hashbrowns, patties, yougurt, fruits and even rice!
No hot tub, but has an outdoor pool. A bit cold for me in December.
Theres also free dinner(NICE!) on Mondays ~ Thursdays. First time I've seen a hotel provide dinner on top of breakfast!
Good value for the money!

Green Features: the breakfast area only has one trash can for all the food scraps an plates. Should make more efforts in recycling and composting.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ching_wa
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. Hope you to see you again in the future.

Thanks Again,

Kelly Herrington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We booked 20 rooms at the Residence Inn for out of town guest for our daughters wedding. The service and staff went well beyond expectations. The night before the wedding They let us take over the breakfast area to have a game night. The night after the wedding we had a family BBQ. The staff let us not only use their cooking utensils, but again use their breakfast area, plates. All staff were friendly at all times. They went out of their way to help and may the entire stay pleasant for all the guest. The rooms were comfortable with plenty of space. Breakfast staff Maria treated us like family. Breakfast was quite filling for a freebe.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Greetings, and thank for writing about your experience on TripAdvisor. We were so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay. At Residence Inn, we aspire to meet the high expectations travelers have come to expect of Marriott, and we're glad to know we met that goal. If you're ever in the San Diego area again for business or leisure, we'd love to have you stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Havelock, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was in San Diego for 2 months for a business trip and wasn't sure how I would feel about staying in a hotel for that long. Normally I do not rest very well in hotels, just can't seem to get any sleep. This trip was nothing like my previous experiences at all. It started with my late night check in to the hotel, Heather was at the front desk and was a ray of sunshine after a long travel day. When we got to our room we had a personalized welcome basket which caught me totally by surprise and what a nice surprise it was. The hotel staff, Nhoree, Laura, Alexsis from the front desk were awesome, the love their jobs and they are great at doing it! Cindy was in charge of making sure the hotel guest were well fed during the evening social and she did an awesome job. Matilda (house person) made sure I felt welcome, her English was a little rough but so was my Spanish but she always found time to chat with me and my handicapped daughter to make sure we felt very welcome. The managers of this hotel do a great job ensuring everyone knows their job and that they enjoy their jobs and it shows in everything they do for their guests. If you are in San Diego and you stay somewhere else, you would be a fool! I feel there is no finer place to stay than Residense Inn San Diego/Scripps Poway! Thank you all for making my stay a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Pick the side of the hotel where your windows are on the front of the hotel so you have a nice view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff H
Derek E, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Jeff H,

Thank you so much for the glowing review! A hotel stay as long as yours can be intimidating sometimes and I am happy to hear that we could make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We really enjoy getting to know our long term guests and getting acquianted with you and your daughter was no exception.

Thank you again and hopefully we get to see you again in the future!

All The Best,

Derek Edwards
Assistant General Manager
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Once again, this property out-did itself. We stayed in a king-studio room that had a sofa sleeper for our daughter. A very spacious room with a full size refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, microwave and dishes, silverware & limited (but useful) pots & pans!
The staff is always courteous and helpful. Kenton (I believe he's a night auditor) always had a smile & a cheerful "good morning" for me when I came down for an early cup of coffee (which is available complimentary 24 hrs. a day). They even offer hot chocolate, which was perfect for our 9 year old daughter.
Maria was another staff member that stood out. She greeted us by name by the 2nd day we came downstairs for breakfast! Breakfast (and dinner) is complimentary & isn't skimpy. For breakfast there is a wide selection of both hot and cold items, including eggs, bacon or sausage, French toast, oatmeal, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt and muffins/breads. Dinner offerings included tortellini, grilled chicken breast, hot dogs, hamburgers and nightly salads. It was nothing fancy, but was good.
The housekeeping staff did a great job of cleaning our room. They were able to come in & clean up in between us rushing back to the room to re-group before heading out again.
The pool (which is HEATED) was fun for my daughter, the Jacuzzi was perfect for me to relax in, the work out room was small, but had the appropriate equipment my husband needed for his routine each day, and the basketball court provided all of us with some fun!
The location of the property is excellent for what we were looking for. It's centrally located within San Diego with very easy access to I-15. The Wild Animal Park is 15 minutes to the North, Sea World & Balboa Park 15 minutes to the South. Of course this all depends on traffic! It's also a safe location with shopping (Vons, Kohl's, Staples & Costco) just up the street. One of the most valuable amenities that is often overlooked, is the complimentary parking. The larger properties near downtown will charge as much as $15.00 per day! Not a concern at this hotel! There is ample parking & it's free.
We have stayed at this property each year for the past 4 years around Thanksgiving, & they have consistently delivered exceptional service and an excellent value for the price.
AGAIN - I recommend this hotel over the "fancy" properties near downtown or the beach. This smaller property has more amenities (larger room with a kitchen) and a fabulous staff that can rival any full service property, especially when you consider the price of the room! Thank you again to ALL of the staff members that made our stay comfortable & enjoyable!

5 Thank Susan H
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on the staff, breakfast and quality accommodations. We hope you'll come back and visit soon.

Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite for two weekend nights in November as a base for a Saturday trip to the Safari Park (it's about 15-20 minutes away). Upon entering the driveway we noticed the hotel looked newer and clean. There was no real loading/check-in zone, although luckily there was an open parking stall near the entrance. Check-in was quick and easy and the gentleman behind the desk was efficient and helpful.

The room was standard for a newer Residence Inn: stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, flatscreen tvs in the living room and bedrooms, clean bathrooms. There was plenty of room for our 3yr old to run around.

The complimentary hot breakfast was nice (a pleasant surprise to my parents who aren't accustomed to "free" breakfasts of this quality): waffles, eggs, sausage, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, toast, fruit and even rice and furikake for Asian guests.

The neighborhood seemed safe and there are plenty of amenities nearby (restaurants, etc.).

4 Thank socaljsb
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on our breakfast and quality accommodations. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Sent here on business for two months and I can not imagine a better place to stay. My first day here I was greeted by a personalized welcome basket in my room that made me feel very special. All the ladies that clean my room every day show respect for all my personal belongings which gave me great peace of mind. All the front desk staff are friendly and helpful but especially Laura and Cynthia, very pleasant young ladies always with a smile, just made me feel good every day. Cindy was the best part of this home away from home. She made sure I had something to eat and someone to talk to every day after work, not just someone who works here but someone who became my friend. This has been my best trip ever!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Phil G
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on the staff. We hope we'll see you again!.

Wuelfrath, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights and enjoyed it very much! We had a room with a king size bed and a sleeping sofa. Well the sofa was not too comfortable, but my wife didn't complain, our son and I shared the king bed, which was very comfortable. And the kitchen had all you need to cook a simple meal. Even a dishwasher!!! :-) The pool was heated and the jacuzzi was very relaxing. On special days during the weak there is a free dinner, not the best, but nice. The same is to say about the breakfast. Quit good and it is complementary. The only thing I didn't like were the disposable dishes.
The room was clean and the housekeeping did a great job. Also the staff was very friendly.
Only a short drive away is a shopping facility (Vons) with some "restaurants", most are fast food. I would recommend the Luna Grill!
Overall I would recommend the hotel for a stay in San Diego and would book it again!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank thorstochter
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. We look forward to your next trip back.

Thanks Again,