“25 Minutes from San Diego Airport - just perfect.”

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway
Ranked #98 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I had a great stay at this place. Originally we wanted to stay a bit closer to downtown, but the price (and the other reviews) were just too right to ignore this. And we were glad we didn't.

Hotel location, as I said, is about 20-25 minutes away from the San Diego airport/Downtown. In fact, it is about 20-30 mins to just about any good attraction. I always like to check out the surrounding areas of a city, and not just the hyper developed downtown areas. And in this case, this location is just perfect - not too far, not too close. Decent size parking lot - probably enough for about 40-50 cars, I think.

The room was a nice size one on the third (and top) floor (Number 32, I think), with a view of the pool and Highway 15 in the distance, and some mountains far away. Room's got a nice size kitchen, fully equipped, and small living room area, and a terrific bed. Bathroom was a good size one. All was very, very clean, and fresh.

The check-in was smooth, front desk was excellent. All the staff was polite, and obviously quite proud of the way they keep their property. A decent fitness room (2 high quality treadmills, and an elliptical, along with a full stack of weights) is right next to the heated pool (decent size, again) and Jacuzzi.

Breakfast was excellent with eggs and different styles of potatoes, sausages, waffles, cereal, fruits, yogurt, etc. Dinner is served as well (sometimes BBQ, etc).

It is a smoke-free hotel, which is great. What is not-so-great is guests who still insist on smoking, and it drifts into the hallway and wafts into other rooms as well. We complained two nights in a row, and the front staff (I am sure they were mad, rightfully so) did send security to investigate. I think the penalties for this should be strong, and it should be everyone as they check in.

Overall, an excellent hotel, and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose the Poolside second and top floors - I think they are of better view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arpillai
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. We look forward to your next trip back.

Thanks Again,

Kelly Herrington

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the Scripps Poway Residence Inn for business in Dec and Jan. During this time I had the absolute pleasure to get to know Derek, the general manager, and most of his team. These people were fantastic! They include everyone from front desk to housekeeping staff: Margaret, Sonya, Elizabeth, Rosa, Tamara, Nhoree, Cynthia, Kathy, Alexis, Laura, Heather, Brandon, Kyle, Kenton, Ruth, Maria, Cindy, and Karlie. I've certainly forgotten some of the staff, but need to especially thank the housekeeping staff, who kept my room spotless and were the friendliest ever! The facility is modern, with comfortable suites that allowed excellent rest in the separate bedroom with attached bathroom. The main room has a TV area with a small kitchen that includes a normal sized refrigerator and range/stove with a microwave. A dinner meal is served Mon-Thur in the dining area, which has a TV and fireplace. Breakfast is also served here daily. There is also a small area for basketball next to the pool and hot tub! I can't say enough about this hotel and the wonderful experience I had here. My sincere thanks to Derek and the fine people who care about everyone who travels through here!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for sharing a review on Trip Advisor. I have passed along your wonderful feedback to the staff and they could not be happier to know that their hard work was recognized. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here on points and business for a few days. Got to the hotel on Saturday nite and they did not have a room for me as reserved. They sent me to the Springhill Suites nearby...not as nice as the inn but it was only 1 nite and they gave me my point back. Rest of stay at the inn was good. Near a strip mall with a grocery store and a CVS. The hotel was clean and the staff pleasant. It's kind of far from downtown.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We value our guest's comments, and were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope we get a chance to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I wanted to try different hotel for my business travel. Last month I stayed at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch (two exits north of this location). There are just a few differences between the properties. This hotel has a much nicer (2-3 times larger) breakfast eating area, which is good for spreading out on crowded mornings during the weekend. So if you are deciding which property for your family, this one would be a better choice. The room was equal to the other property, I'm still hoping they update the beds to the ultra-comfort style that has almost become standard in the industry. Some of the drawbacks from this hotel versus the other is the location. There is a gas station, a Chili's and a Wendy's within walking distance. The other property has a lot more options within walking distance. This location has a more "hotel" feel. It is contained within a 3 story high rise as opposed to the one to the north that has a more "residential" apartment feel with more mature gardens etc.

Overall I had a great stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I travel frequently for business and pleasure, and I rarely find a hotel that stands out above the rest. This hotel was one of the few that really made an impression on me. Upon entering, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room which is one of the largest I've yet to stay in. There was plenty of space to make myself at home, plus a FULL size stove, dishwasher, and fridge. What really surprised me was the details included in the room that other hotels would have left out. There was a full set of silverware, cooking utensils, a few pots/pans, even a corkscrew. They even threw in some microwave popcorn incase we needed a snack. (also a microwave, toaster, and coffee maker) Of course the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. Breakfast was fantastic. They didn't skimp on some of the things probably could have gotten away with, and that made all the difference. This will be my go-to hotel next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your glowing review! We work very hard to maintain a culture of service and friendliness and we're thrilled that we were able to demonstrate that on your most recent trip. Hopefully we have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I traveled here on business and it was great, exactly what I expect from a residence inn. I am very satisfied with how this hotel is run. the front desk staff are great, some of the best in the business. It seems that residence inn consistently has some of the best customer service out there, and i will definitely stay here again. my only complaint is that one of my towels had hair on it, but they were all swapped out for new ones.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank artisfun123987
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review! Our team is committed to making our guests' stay both enjoyable and comfortable. We value your feedback, and are grateful for the recognition you placed on the staff. We hope you'll come back and visit soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

After flying out of subzero temps we arrived at the hotel just before midnight for a 10 day r&r. My wife and I were upgraded to 2 bedroom 2 bath suite (only room left). Entire staff we encountered was friendly and helpful, suite had full kitchen, beds comfortable and clean as was the suite, breakfast and happy hour foods good. Centrally located from all attractions. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Drysy1
Derek E, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Drysy1,

Thank you for your great review and we are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us! It is our pleaseure to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests.

We look forward to your next visit to San Diego!

Best Wishes,

Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
Residence Inn San Diego Del Mar
#106 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway? Share your experiences!