“Nice decor, clean, friendly staff”

Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway
Ranked #90 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
san diego
“Nice decor, clean, friendly staff”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My family and I spent 3 nights at this hotel while our home was being dried due to water damage. The studio had enough room for my toddler to play with his toys. the kitchenette was stocked with dishes, pots and pans, and utensils. Everything was clean and the decor was modern and had a bright color palette. It was really nice to have free wi-fi and parking. There is a pool, jacuzzi, small gym and even a basketball court. Breakfast was delicious and filling; several hot and cold items to choose from; also, make your own fresh waffles. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is right next to the freeway but our room was quiet. If you're visiting San Diego, this location is 20 minutes away from the beach, airport and attractions but close to grocery stores, restaurants and movie theater. We are definitely returning here when repairs start but I will totally recommend to friends and family that visit us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. We look forward to your next stay.

Kelly Herrington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel is in a great location for visitors to the San Diego area; it is nearly equidistant from downtown SD, La Jolla, and Escondido, and only about 20-30 minutes from most places a visitor will wish to go. It's easy to get in and out, and parking is very convenient. The room was spacious, clean, and very comfortable. Quiet at night, with no noisy appliances or HVAC. Breakfasts were well done, with a range of cooked foods, fruit, hot/cold cereals, baked goods, etc. We were very impressed, and will look for any others in the chain in locations where we travel in the future. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve7P
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. Hope you to see you again in the future.

Thanks Again,

New YOrk
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I were there to welcome home our son, who is a Marine and was returning from deployment in Afghanistan. We needed a place close to his base in Miramar and also needed to have a kitchen and sofa bed as we were there for 9 days. The Residence Inn in Poway was the perfect choice. Derek and his entire staff are amazing. They made sure we had everything we needed. Ruth worked in the mornings, and the free breakfast buffet was excellent. She always had a smile and asked if we needed anything. They also have free wi-fi and free parking, which can add up at other hotels. The room was extremely clean as well as the public places. We were extremely satisfied with this hotel, and will definitely revisit the next time we are in the San Diego area. Good job Derek and team!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor, we truly do appreciate it. Our team is committed to providing service so memorable, and we're glad it showed. Hope you come back and visit soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I had a great stay at this place. Originally we wanted to stay a bit closer to downtown, but the price (and the other reviews) were just too right to ignore this. And we were glad we didn't.

Hotel location, as I said, is about 20-25 minutes away from the San Diego airport/Downtown. In fact, it is about 20-30 mins to just about any good attraction. I always like to check out the surrounding areas of a city, and not just the hyper developed downtown areas. And in this case, this location is just perfect - not too far, not too close. Decent size parking lot - probably enough for about 40-50 cars, I think.

The room was a nice size one on the third (and top) floor (Number 32, I think), with a view of the pool and Highway 15 in the distance, and some mountains far away. Room's got a nice size kitchen, fully equipped, and small living room area, and a terrific bed. Bathroom was a good size one. All was very, very clean, and fresh.

The check-in was smooth, front desk was excellent. All the staff was polite, and obviously quite proud of the way they keep their property. A decent fitness room (2 high quality treadmills, and an elliptical, along with a full stack of weights) is right next to the heated pool (decent size, again) and Jacuzzi.

Breakfast was excellent with eggs and different styles of potatoes, sausages, waffles, cereal, fruits, yogurt, etc. Dinner is served as well (sometimes BBQ, etc).

It is a smoke-free hotel, which is great. What is not-so-great is guests who still insist on smoking, and it drifts into the hallway and wafts into other rooms as well. We complained two nights in a row, and the front staff (I am sure they were mad, rightfully so) did send security to investigate. I think the penalties for this should be strong, and it should be everyone as they check in.

Overall, an excellent hotel, and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose the Poolside second and top floors - I think they are of better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arpillai
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you sharing your positive experiences with us. It is nice to hear that you found the property to meet your needs during your stay here in San Diego. We look forward to your next trip back.

Thanks Again,

New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Scripps Poway Residence Inn for business in Dec and Jan. During this time I had the absolute pleasure to get to know Derek, the general manager, and most of his team. These people were fantastic! They include everyone from front desk to housekeeping staff: Margaret, Sonya, Elizabeth, Rosa, Tamara, Nhoree, Cynthia, Kathy, Alexis, Laura, Heather, Brandon, Kyle, Kenton, Ruth, Maria, Cindy, and Karlie. I've certainly forgotten some of the staff, but need to especially thank the housekeeping staff, who kept my room spotless and were the friendliest ever! The facility is modern, with comfortable suites that allowed excellent rest in the separate bedroom with attached bathroom. The main room has a TV area with a small kitchen that includes a normal sized refrigerator and range/stove with a microwave. A dinner meal is served Mon-Thur in the dining area, which has a TV and fireplace. Breakfast is also served here daily. There is also a small area for basketball next to the pool and hot tub! I can't say enough about this hotel and the wonderful experience I had here. My sincere thanks to Derek and the fine people who care about everyone who travels through here!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for sharing a review on Trip Advisor. I have passed along your wonderful feedback to the staff and they could not be happier to know that their hard work was recognized. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on points and business for a few days. Got to the hotel on Saturday nite and they did not have a room for me as reserved. They sent me to the Springhill Suites nearby...not as nice as the inn but it was only 1 nite and they gave me my point back. Rest of stay at the inn was good. Near a strip mall with a grocery store and a CVS. The hotel was clean and the staff pleasant. It's kind of far from downtown.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We value our guest's comments, and were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope we get a chance to serve you again in the future.

Tucson
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I wanted to try different hotel for my business travel. Last month I stayed at the Residence Inn Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch (two exits north of this location). There are just a few differences between the properties. This hotel has a much nicer (2-3 times larger) breakfast eating area, which is good for spreading out on crowded mornings during the weekend. So if you are deciding which property for your family, this one would be a better choice. The room was equal to the other property, I'm still hoping they update the beds to the ultra-comfort style that has almost become standard in the industry. Some of the drawbacks from this hotel versus the other is the location. There is a gas station, a Chili's and a Wendy's within walking distance. The other property has a lot more options within walking distance. This location has a more "hotel" feel. It is contained within a 3 story high rise as opposed to the one to the north that has a more "residential" apartment feel with more mature gardens etc.

Overall I had a great stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kelly_Herrington, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway, responded to this review, 27 February 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
SpringHill Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway
Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area
Residence Inn San Diego Sorrento Mesa/Sorrento Valley
Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
La Quinta Inn San Diego - Miramar
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Scripps Poway? Share your experiences!