“A Family Place, good value.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Richmond, Virginia
“A Family Place, good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I travel extensively for business and generally prefer the suite hotels. At least if I have to spend time working at the desk, I am in another room and don't feel like I am stuck in a hotel room.

This property is located in the heart of shopping and dining, and a short five minute drive to Sea World and the Zoo. I am guessing that's why it seems to cater to families. That sound and activity of kids doesn't bother me. Just be warned if it does you. The dining area used for breakfast and reception is quite large, no shortage of places to sit. And I especially like the mini lounge they have. The happy hour drinks are served in a separate 21 and over room, so that's a great place to unwind after work.

Hotel prices in San Diego vary wildly on the season and other events in town. (In other words, don't vacation here during Comic Con.) I got a really good deal on this one, and would come back even if the price were higher. If you plan to be in town for a while for work, then I would recommend it. Super huge laundry room, plenty of outdoor seating, spacious rooms, and super happy hour.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank slovaktoo
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Many thanks for posting your valuable input about my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley, on Trip Advisor. I greatly weigh the importance of utilizing all guest feedback, and I feel it is an essential tool in creating an environment and hotel that does cater to all types of travelers. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay on business, and also recognized the advantages the Residence Inn Mission Valley offers to families as well.

Todd Capizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have no hesitation recommending this hotel. Yes the dining area was busy at breakfast but when we ate at 7:00 am it was empty. The staff go out of their way to help with any requests. Oscar even loaned us beach equipment so we didn't have to buy it and lug it home. The rooms are big and comfortable. If you can complain about this place then you just can't be pleased in the price range.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was quiet and comfortable
1 Thank f1fan696
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
As the General Manager of the Residence Inn Mission Valley, let me first thank you for your business, and your gracious complements. I am pleased that you received ‘first class’ service thorough your stay, and I know that my staff will be happy, and I know that my staff will be happy to hear that their efforts earned your loyalty. We will look forward our next opportunity to exceed your expectations. Until then, safe travels to you.

Walt Disney World, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Only stayed for one night and wished I could have stayed longer. Loved this hotel!
FOOD: Biggest complimentary breakfast buffet I have ever seen! So many delicious options from 3 different types of scrambled eggs, un/seasoned potatoes, oatmeal with toppings, and more. The free dinners during the week was an extra bonus you do not find elsewhere. The night we arrived it was create your own turkey sandwiches with chips and salad. Not grand but we created a sandwich, put it in the fridge overnight and had a little free lunch the next day while exploring SD. Do know long lines form super early and there is not enough seating during breakfast so be prepared to stand and wait
ROOM: Clean, New feeling, and Quiet = Great night sleep!! I was worried being across from the (very slow) elevator and looking out on the pool but the room seemed sound proof. Thank you for the upgrade to the 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom Suite! Being a party of 2 the room was Massive and super nice!
SIDE NOTE: check out concierge’s machine in lobby for deals before setting off to see San Diego

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your thorough and kind review of my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you enjoyed our complementary breakfast in the morning, and where able to take advantage of the WIFI Concierge in our lobby! I am eager to share your compliments with the rest of the hotel staff, and we hope to get the pleasure of accommodating you in the future.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Why doesn't Tripadvisor have a Good rating. The hotel was crowded. We had to wait in long lines for breakfast. Area around the pool and sometimes the hallways were very noisy. The elevators were slow. However, the staff was nice. The happy hour beer here is excellent.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SonarFred
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we were not able to "wow" you during your time with us, and that you found our elevators to be slow. I am glad that you enjoyed the staff, and I will pass along all of your comments to them as well.

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Staff was very friendly a specialmthanks to Bryan front desk agent very nice and a willing to make your stay a perfect one. The facility is very nice, nice pool, barbacue area, basketball court, the room was very nice thee equipment and beds where great, I would recommened all the way for a family vacation.

1 Thank Rincon74
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review of my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We would love the opportunity to accommodate you again the next time you are in San Diego. I will recognize Bryan for his efforts to ensure you received service memorable enough to share on trip Advisor.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I received such a nice welcome from Rebecca McArthur, their Sales Manager and the whole team. I was impressed with such a friendly team and attentive to details. I'm moving to San Diego and getting her welcome letter and package made me feel so much better about my decision and new life. Great place to stay on vacation or business you will find a little piece of your home here!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
      Location
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Hello and Thank you for such a wonderful review. Rebecca and my sales team dose so much behind the seen and rarely get praised for all there hard work. I know after showing them your review, it will warm there hearts and put such a great smile on there faces. We hope nothing but great thing with your new future and hope you will stop bye and tell us how things are going. Till next time.

Duncansville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The staff was wonderful! There were 13 of us and we were treated like old family members. My family of five stayed in a double suite. The one room had a bunk bed, which my 10 years old loved! There was plenty of space in this room and a TV! Our room had a king size bed and my 2 and 1/2 year old slept with us. The hotel manager (I believe he was anyway...) was fabulous. He seemed to go out of his way to talk with us and ask us how our trip was going. He even gave my little girl a little stuffed animal! All of the employees were exceptional! The food was fabulous. And the common area was large to accommodate many guests. It cracks me up that people are complaining that it's "crowded". Seriously, it is, but it takes no time at all to get through the line and the food is constantly replenished. They even have people cleaning up constantly, even throwing away your stuff for you without a complaint, just a smile. The social hour was amazing, we managed to get it twice. One night was just sandwiches and salads, which was perfect. They even served ice cream for dessert. The beer and wine are in a separate room, but there is more than 1 choice of each (I think at least 6 or 7 beer choices alone) which surprised me. The other night we had pulled pork sandwiches with salad and strawberry shortcake type dessert. They were also had a DJ! The pool seemed very nice although we didn't have a chance to use. Parking was ample although we had to park in the rear. My only complaint was the location of our room. We couldn't hear outside noise but there was a gate that the cleaning people and other people came in and out of. The first night, that gate slammed no less than 6 or 7 times and it was VERY loud. I think they realized someone was in the room next to it and the remaining nights I think maybe once it slammed. I wouldn't mention it, but it literally made you jump out of bed it was so loud. It was on the first floor corner. Everyone else in our party said they had no noise issues in their room!

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the first floor corner!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about my hotel, the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I am so glad that you and your family had such a wonderful experience with us! I am glad you enjoyed all that breakfast and happy hour had to offer. My wonderful sales team never disappoints on Sales Night, whether they are hosting a Poker Tournament, or bringing in a live DJ. I am eager to share your comments with them, as well as with the rest of my staff. I know they will feel equally as pleased as I that you enjoyed your stay.