“Could not find a better place to stay”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #116 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Gautier, Mississippi
“Could not find a better place to stay”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I continue to travel to San Diego month after month. I could not find a better place to stay. The staff here at the Residence Inn continues to prove their ability to take care of their guests. I could sit here and list many people who continue to make my stays very enjoyable but will only list a couple. Albert in the lounge, Danielle and Beverley continuously make me feel like I am part of the family here. A very comforting feeling when you stay at a hotel as long as I do. I usually stay 23 days and when I leave am always looking forward to the next stay. Continue to keep up the reat work. Will see you again in the near future.

Room Tip: 5th floor is the quietest
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello and thank you so much for the kind words and great review. My staff and I work so hard on trying to make every guest feel at home and especially our long time stay guest. You are part of our Marriott family and we are so glad to have you with us. I can’t wait to pass this comment to my staff at our next meeting. Thank you for the being a long time loyal Guest/Family member and taking the time to send us your review. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Todd Capizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights as we were attending a graduation at the MCRD. From check in to check out I loved every minute at this hotel! The location was perfect and a short drive to many of San Diego's attractions. The breakfast buffet was excellent and a great way to start the day. I have absolutely no complaints and plan on staying here again next time in SD!

• Stayed September 2013
Hello and Thank you for the great review. We are so glad your stay with us was such a great experience. We love our location here in the center of San Diego also. You can’t beat being 15 to 20 min for most locations. I’m also looking forward in passing your wonderful response to my staff this week. This is what keeps our staff excited to do even a better job. We hope to see you and your family the next time you stay in San Diego.

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a challenging review, as the people working for this hotel are INCREDIBLE - very helpful, courteous, and really work to make things happen (like balloons and cake in the suite before we return). The design of this property is one of the oddest of any Residence Inn I've ever stayed at. It is four separate buildings around a central pool. You cannot get from one to the other without going outside - either out to the parking lot or through the pool area. Some doors and stairways lead to the 1st floor, others to the 2nd floor- and the same goes for the elevators in each building. Laundry room was a haul through the pool area OR a long walk around three buildings via the parking lot and then into one of the stairways and then if you get it wrong- over to another elevator to finally get to the first floor. The parking space are SO SMALL, that any mini-van or full size car cannot park easily in any of these spots. AND, its another $13 a day to park here (which is nowhere near downtown, so its an unnecessary fee on top of $250/night rooms). The carpet outside our 2-BR, 3 bed suite smelled like a tire fire. The rooms lack adequate and appropriate lighting in many spots. Either way too bright over there, or a real dark zone over here. The light switches are beyond odd in that they are not near where you'd expect a switch to be and sometimes it turns on a light that also has a switch on it way far away. The bathrooms are very small and the sink area outside the bathroom is also underwhelming for a Residence Inn. The kitchen lacks a fan, so any other room doing cooking will be in your room, as the vents are in the bathrooms and suck all the air from the hallways into the bathroom. The walls are thin. I lay in bed and heard snoring on three sides of me. We heard our downstairs neighbors conversations in the loving room as well as their TVs. For a non-smoking hotel there was a lot of pot smoke coming in (all that glaucoma going around these days). The food was mediocre-especially for a Residence Inn. It was only OK. The wine at the evening social was undrinkable, but it was fermented grape. YET, the people are wonderful and very nice to guests and each other and everyone is genuinely happy to be there and it shows. THAT says a lot. It's a mixed bag.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. My Staff and I take much pride in making your stay here as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. I must agree that my staff is doing a great job, and I’m looking forward to sharing your nice comments with them at our next meeting. I will be also following up with your issues with my maintenance crew and see what we can do to make our guest stay even better next time. I thank you again for your informative comments and I hope you give us another try in the future.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel has a few minor issues, but they are small. The hallways are extremely outdated to the point that they are depressing. Housekeeping does not service the rooms of the people staying another night until late in the afternoon which didn't work with our schedule. We ended up getting service once during our five night stay, despite spending most of our time away from the hotel. The breakfast is decent, but crowded. There was usually a line, and we stayed during off-peak. The pool area is neither nice or awful; however, it's not a place you would make your lady feel special.
The rooms and beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean. We lost power during our stay for about an hour despite the lack of any inclement weather. The surround area is not the high end district by a long shot either.
The staff was friendly, and the service was fantastic. I was going to rate this place a 3, but altered it to a four when I reflected on the service. Nice place for a large family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
RIMVGM, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hello and thank you for your insight on our hotel. We do have a great location for all the tourist spots. We are only 10 to 20 min away from most locations. I’m glad you enjoy your over all experience with us. I always like to see how we can make changes or to improve the overall experience of our guests. I will meet with my staff and talk about the things we as a team need to approve on and tell them the great things they have accomplished. Come stay with us again and we want you to see the improvements and quality service we work so hard for. We hope to see you soon.

Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights 9/6 & 9/7 recently. Nice staff. Room was small but good enough for one person. There was hair on the bathroom floor though!

Sufficient A/C but it was loud. TV channel selection was limited. Breakfast was good with a good variety of food. Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. My sincerest apologies for the hair found on your floor! I will inform my housekeeping staff, and do my utmost to ensure that it does not happen again. I am happy that your experience withus was otherwise pleasant, and we do hope you join us again in the future.

Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 11 September 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff here was wonderful! We arrived around 8 in the morning and they were able to get us checked in right away! The room we has initially booked was a little smaller then we had anticipated so they were able to get us in to a bigger room right away! The staff gave great recommendations on some nice places to eat/visit. Everyone from the girl at the front desk to girl in the accounting department were helpful. The breakfast was pretty good and they even has social hours with free drinks and dinner! The next time I go to San Diego I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I am so happy that your recent experience with us here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley earned you loyalty and enthusiasm! I must agree that my staff is wonderful, and I am eager to share your comments with them at our next meeting. The front desk staff work tirelessly trying to ensure that every guest is more than just ‘satisfied’ with their stay, and I am always happy to share with them when they hit the mark! I look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again!

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

The service at this hotel was excellent ! Every person we dealt with at the front desk was incredibly nice and helpful. The location was great and very convenient as a home base to see all the sights of SD. The rooms were spacious and perfect for our family of 5. The complimentary breakfast was a great plus with many hearty options to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel for families!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BHTravelbug
I am so happy that you enjoyed your time here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley! I will share your comments with my staff and I do so appreciate you taking the time to review my hotel here on Trip Advisor. I thank you for your business and hope that we get the opportunity to accommodate you and your family again in the future. Well wishes until then.