“Great stay!”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #135 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We had a room with 2 rooms. In one was a king & in the other was a bunk beds for the kids (with their own t.v). The sitting area w/kitchen was awesome too and also offered a pull out bed! We enjoyed the pool, the great breakfast, the amazing food/beverage offered in the evening (wow - I was so impressed with all they offered). The staff (Robert) upon check in was so kind and was very informative regarding all the amenities offered at the hotel. It was a great location and we liked the parking "gate" - felt more secure. My only complaint (but it is with every hotel that does this) was the daily parking charge. I just don't get that at all. Overall - great stay and great hotel. Thanks - it was the perfect start to our vacation!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I would like to thank you for such a nice review. I’m so glad you and your family had such a great stay here. We work so hard, to make every guests stay here an enjoyable one.
I will be proudly showing my staff that all the hard work they do makes a difference.
We hope to see you and your family the next time you visit San Diego.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Upon arrival, I was given a first floor room. As a Marriott Rewards Member, my profile is specific in that I want a high floor room (mostly for quiet), but NEVER a first floor room for safety reasons. The girl at the desk could not help me, so I asked for the manager. Jeri, the manager on duty was extremely helpful and was able to give me a room as I requested. Thank you Jeri for accommodating me and being very friendly.

Regarding the hotel itself ... it is a busy place! Being on the 4th floor, corner room, I did not see many people in the halls. However, there was always a crowd at breakfast and in the evenings during the free food/beverage. Parking was hard to come by as well. The room was clean even though one day I did not get my room serviced.

The breakfast was good and offered healthier options including cut fruit, turkey sausage, and egg beaters. The ice tea was horrible and when I mentioned it to the staff, it was never changed. The coffee was good (some sort of Hawaiian blend).

The lobby coffee station offered tea bags but no hot water so I had to ask every time I wanted to make a hot tea. I was told it was because kids run around in the lobby and it is dangerous to have hot water. What? I guess "hot coffee" will not hurt kids while they are running in the lobby. LOL? Weird explanation in my opinion. And why do you have a problem with kids running in the lobby.

Hotel is in a great central location. If you know your way around San Diego you can get anywhere from this hotel without getting on the freeways. Close to shopping and tons of restaurants in Mission Valley and Fashion Valley. Close to Old Town. Close to Balboa Park.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

I’m glad Jeri could help you with your accommodations. Jeri wanted to say thank you for the nice complement. We always appreciate the good complements and we evaluate your request for improvements. Thank you for taking your time to write us this review.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

It's a wonderful location, really close to beaches, downtown, the bay, and most attractions in San Diego. But there's almost nothing in walking distance, just 1 low end diner. The hotel is nice, a typical Residence, except that the hallways between rooms are inside buildings, so that's surprising, especially for an outdoor friendly city. The staff is mostly friendly and helpful, except the maintenance guys, who usually get the job done but are pretty short with people. As usual, there's a complimentary breakfast with many items including make your own waffles.

What sets this Residence above the rest though is that it has a bar, and it's an open bar. It's only open 6 to 7:30 Mon to Thurs, but in football season it is also open Sunday evenings, and opens early for Monday and Thursday night games. The bartender Albert is excellent at the social and beer and wine supplying aspects of the bar tending arts.

Room Tip: 4th floor has no noise of people walking above you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us your review. I’m glad that your over all stay was good but we want you to have a great stay. I will take your comments to our next meeting and see what we can do to improve it. We hope you will come back and see if we have made your stay here a better experience. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel was great! It was a great location for MCRD graduation. The staff was wonderful the beds so comfortable, the entire area could not have been cleaner. The night time receptions and food was good and the pool area so relaxing. The proximity to everything was excellent. Even went to Disneyland which was just a short hour and 1/2 drive. I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank texasmansfield

First we would like to congratulate you on your new Marine. We are so proud of all the military branches for what they do for us. As the general manager here at the Marriott Residence Inn Mission Valley, I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It’s important for us as a staff, that what we are trying to achieve here is working. Thank you for taking a moment and writing us such a great review and we hope to see you and your family back here again.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My partner and I booked a last-minute trip to San Diego due to a death in the family, and because we were staying for a week, we wanted something more than just a regular hotel room. Since the rate was almost the same as other hotels in the area, we decided to give Residence Inn a try and take advantage of amenities like the kitchen in our room, the separate bedroom arrangement, and free breakfast, dinner, and happy hour. We were so happy we did! The hotel was well-maintained, our room was always well-stocked and cleaned in a timely manner, and it was so conveniently located. In a time full of stress and worry, it was good to come back to a place that provided calm and comfort.

There were a good number of families with small kids so the thin walls and floors didn't do much to mask loud voices and small feet running around above us, but fortunately these weren't constant. I'm sure it's a little more bothersome during the summertime when the hotel is more full, so keep that in mind.

The staff was excellent -- better than some "luxury" properties I've stayed at. Whether it's just answering a simple question, ringing me up for purchases at their store, or helping me with a future reservation, they were friendly and made me feel at home. Bryan, a front desk manager, was awesome: from the first contact when he helped me book my room on the phone to checking us in to various times throughout our stay, he went above and beyond. He made us feel valued and welcome, and you can't ask much more than that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cja2k1
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

My staff and I are very sorry for your lost. I would like to thank you very much for saying such nice things about my staff and hotel. It makes me grateful to know that my staffs dose whatever it takes to make a guest stay here enjoyable for what ever reason they are here for. I hope the next time you and your partner are here in San Diego; your here for more of an enjoyable time and stay with us again.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights with our 10 month old son this past weekend. I chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the zoo, since we would be spending the day there. I called ahead of time to let them we would be needing a pack n play for our son, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. We checked in with Bryan who was super friendly and helpful. When we got to our room, we checked to see if the pack n play was there and noticed it wasn't. We called guest services and housekeeping brought one up in within 5 minutes. Staying here worked out perfect for our situation because we were able to bring take out (Phil's BBQ) to the hotel to eat for dinner since we weren't sure if our baby was up for going out and when he went to bed, we kept him in the living room and we were able to watch tv and get ready for bed in the bedroom with the door shut . The breakfast is good for a complementary hotel breakfast, it gets really busy on Saturday mornings. We would hesitate staying there again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gracieblu80

First I would like to say thank you. I know how hard it is to just to find spare time with a new child. So, this is very comforting that you would take time to write us such a great review. I’m happy that my staff was able to make your stay here so enjoyable and that the room was perfect. I hope we get to see you and your family the next time you’re here in San Diego.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Pros:
- Staff was VERY friendly, helpful and accommodating.
- Nice clean rooms, with kitchenette,
- Everything was in working order
- Good breakfast selections in the morning
- Fresh exterior paint
- Great for a family. There were a lot of families at this hotel
- Proximity to everything that we interested in visiting (Zoo, Sea World).
Cons:
- $13 parking fee. This seems common for hotels in the San Diego. I was caught off guard when checking into the hotel, but after looking closer at the website, it is openly disclosed. My fault for not looking closer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

What a nice review. I’m so glad that we hit all the major points that make guest keep coming back. Thank you and hope to see you next time you’re in town.