“Great hospitality”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #136 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed a total of 10 nights on business. My family was arriving a few days later, so I ordered a crib for our infant. Called to verify that they would have a crib. When we arrived, we were told it's a "pack and play"... much different than a crib. They admitted they made a mistake and ordered a full size crib for us at their expense. We were on the 4th floor S-F of week 1 and someone checked in on Weds and it was like living under a herd of elephants. We told the front desk that we'd like to move the the 5th floor for our 2nd stay, and they graciously blocked the room and brought the crib up to it so everything was ready when we checked back in. Special thanks to Beverly, Dan and the entire front desk staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor, away from the elevators and not facing the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

As the GM here, I’m so glad to here that my staff did everything to make your stay here wonderful. I’m sorry for our mix up with the crib and I’m very happy that we could get the situation straighten out as soon as possible. I will be showing my staff your great comments at our next meeting. Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review and we will be looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We had the best experience at this Residence Inn in Mission Valley during Thanksgiving. The location is very conveniently located close to freeways. I found it on the Internet and was surprised at how nicely remodeled it was and how spacious. What a comfortable unit we stayed in. The one-bedroom suite we had was like a full one bedroom apt. with a full kitchen. They call it a kitchenette b/c it only has a stove and no oven, but it had a regular refrigerator and a huge built in microwave. The bedroom with two queens was spacious with extremely comfortable beds; and the living room had lots of seating area and nice comfortable furniture to relax on -- as well as a nice flat screen TV. We really enjoyed our holiday dinner in our unit. Oh, the breakfast the next day was great and is included in the room. One last thing -- the staff was so accomodating and helpful. They let us borrow two chairs for our dinner. Brittany at the front desk was so helpful. When we arrived, she worked to find us a unit that was clean in a quieter location. When we had a problem, the maintenance man was there in 5 minutes. This place has not only great rooms but excellent service. We're coming back next time we go to San Diego.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter and larger. We first saw one in the front and it was smaller. Als...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

This is another great review from another great guest. I’m excited to have more great reviews to show my staff this week. We will keep improving your experience and can’t wait to see you next time.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was extremely pleased with this hotel. The location was extremely convenient for business and tourist attractions. The freeways were easily accessible as well. The room was very nice and quite large. It was very comfortable for stays of several days. The staff was very professional and courteous. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for this great review. I’m so glad you were pleased with your stay here. We as a hotel strive for reviews like this. Thanks you again and we will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stay at this hotel often and may reconsider. I had time to experience their breakfast, which was good, except for the fact that the hotel uses all paper and plastic utensils. With all their dining plates and flatware going straight to the landfill, I don't know if I'll be able to stay here moving forward. I thought Marriott had a more Green and Sustainable focus that this hotel’s representation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello and Thank you for your review. I would like to start by saying that we do our best to recycle our entire products. All our plates and napkin are made from recycled paper. Our plates are bio degradable and we also place recycle boxes for cans and bottles around the properties. Our House keeping separates all recycle and trash after cleaning every room. We will evaluate your review and see what else we can do to be a greener hotel. Thank you and we hope to see you back to show you what we are doing to improve.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed with our extended family over Thanksgiving and loved this hotel. The breakfast buffet made it easy to get out in the morning and start sightseeing. Tons for our kids to do at the hotel between the dart board, pool table, swimming pool, jacuzzi, basketball court. They even had movie night and a dance party night for the kids. The best part was the free beer and wine most nights. It was great to come down to the lobby and hang out with other people. The bartender Al was fantastic. He gave us lots of tips on good local places to go. Yes, you have to drive everywhere, but all the highlights are within a couple minutes drive (Zoo, Old Town, Balboa Park, Gas Lamp District). I would highly recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for such a nice review. I’m so glad you and your family had such a great stay here. We work so hard, to make every guests stay here an enjoyable one.
I will be proudly showing my staff that all the hard work they do makes a difference.
We hope to see you and your family the next time you visit San Diego.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

During my stay at Marriott’s San Diego Residence Inn my room was illegally entered and I was robbed of approximately more than seven hundred dollars worth of personal items. The hotel claim that their records show no entry into our room during the time of the illegal entry, which can only one of two things: The hotel’s security apparatus is unconditionally flawed and/or, the hotel’s management is lying. In addition, the hotel’s management implied that I was lying and attempting to commit a fraud. This insult was thus compounded by the management’s refusal to:
Assist as intermediary with the police.
Admit any liability.
Offer any pertinent information whatsoever.
Offer any assistance whatsoever.
Offer any apology whatsoever.
Offer any sympathy whatsoever.
Therefore as a “guest” at their establishment I have suffered:
1. Illegal trespass.
2. Theft of my property.
3. Grievous insult by their management.
It is my considered conclusion the San Diego Marriott Residence Inn is managed by lying incompetents and maintains a den of thieves. As a result of this thoroughly disagreeable experience, I have, therefore, cancelled my Marriott’s Rewards account, and will never again, except under extreme condition, stay at another Marriott establishment.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DAO426
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have never written a review for anything before, but I feel I must do so this time to help others make an informed choice. Our room was, I believe, flea-infested. This hotel welcomes pets in the lower floors and we were on the second floor. My four-year-old has over 40 bites over her body in rows and patches. Both my husband and I have over 30 bites. Overall, I feel the cleanliness of the hotel is lacking. We found a spider crawling on my nine-month-old son at breakfast. I believe it came from the jacket we had just put on him to walk him down from the room. The jacket had been on a couch in the room. I also saw spider webs in the hallway on my way to the guest laundry facilities. Basically, due to this problem, the last two days of our three-day vacation was completely stressful. We spent one afternoon looking for a pediatrician to take my daughter to and finally going to urgent care. Then, we spent the early evening moving to a different room. We didn't eat dinner until 9 P.M. We cut our vacation short as well because we knew we had to come home to wash everything. My greatest worry had been about bringing the fleas home with me. Overall, this was the most distressing vacation I've ever taken. The only reason I'm willing to give it a 2 instead of 1 is because the staff really did try to help us. I think they did try their best to do right by us, but I really would have preferred to have avoided the entire stay. Very scared to stay here again.

2  Thank D C
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had to experience this during your stay. I have met with the TEAM and shared your comments with them. We have added a few new procedures that will ensure this type of incident will not occur again.