“Great for Families!”

Ranked #127 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas
“Great for Families!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is one of the newer Residence Inns located in Mission Vally; so close to may San Diego attractions. Our family of 4 stayed in a two-bedroom suite; main bedroom has a comfortable king bed, and the other bedroom had two comfortable twin beds with its own wall-mounted TV. A second bathroom would have been nice (our daughters are college age), but we made one bathroom work. Nice spacious living/kitchen area complete with large refrigerator, microwave, stove, and cooking pots/pans, silverware, plates, drinking glasses. Nice complimentary breakfast included scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast sticks, make-your-own waffles, oatmeal, variety of dry cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, variety of juices, milk, and coffee. The dining area can get rather crowded, and you may not be able to find a table; additional seating is outside around the pool area, or you can go back to your own kitchen and eat! Overall, a very nice, convenient place to stay in the heart of San Diego!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor are quieter; no noise from above!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
I would like to thank you for taking your time to write us a review about your stay here. You pointed out so many wonderful things the hotel provides for you and your family that made your stay here so enjoyable. My staff will be excited that we have made another families stay a great one. We appreciate your review and we’re always looking to do better. I hope to see you and your family the next time your in San Diego.

Todd Capizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I chose this hotel due to the awesome reviews from my co-workers that have stayed in here in the past. I am in the military and was very fortunate to be able to stay at this hotel for a month while I attended a school for my job. First, the front desk staff here are very friendly and accommodating. They are always welcoming and always seem interested in how I was doing. One example of how friendly this place is, somehow the front desk person, Britanny, who was super nice, found out when my final test was and the day before sent a gift bag full of snacks with a very nice note wishing me good luck. What hotel does that? None that I have ever stayed at.

The second great thing about this hotel is the happy hour, which they offer from Monday-Friday from 6-7:30pm. They offer a great selection of local craft brews on draft (7 to be exact) along with wine. Albert is the bartender and is very friendly and knowledgeable and just a cool guy in general. I was a huge fan of all the awesome beers they had and I am sad that I had to leave.

Lastly, they offer a complimentary breakfast everyday which is very good, and also offer a complimentary dinner Mon- Thurs. The food is good, they people who work in the food service are once again super friendly.

The Residence Inn is a place that I will revisit on multiple occasions. They have set a very high standard in my book, that I will measure all other hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for a wonderful review. As the GM of this hotel, this makes me so proud of my whole staff. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here. You are going to make my staff so happy at our next meeting. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to write us this review. We can’t wait to see you again the next time your in San Diego.

California
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed here for a week and found it very comfortable. Located in Hotel Circle with lots of other hotels it benefits from being set back from the busy I-5. It is much quieter to ask for a room at the back of the hotel. It is somewhat of a maze once you get in, and when loading or unloading a lot of luggage use the side door if you are staying towards the back of the hotel, otherwise you have to walk through the lobby and around the pool to get there. The parking lot at the back of the hotel can been reached more easily if you get off on the 2nd floor and exit the side door also.
Substantial fresh breakfast with a happy hour from 6 - 7:30 every night with free drinks and food. Also there is always good hot coffee in the lobby. Very friendly accommodating staff. It was great to have a kitchen, laundry facilities and 2 rooms to spread out in. The only small issue we had was a loud A/C unit in the bedroom. We just opened the windows and didn't use it.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank flipfloptraveler123
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We’re so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all of your input. I will bring your suggestions to our next meeting. Our goal is to make this hotel the best in San Diego. We hope to see you again the next time your in town.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is possibly the worst Residence Inn in which I have stayed. I arrived at the stated check in time to discover that my room was not ready. I was told by the front desk clerk that I would receive a call whenever it was ready. 3 hours later I still had not received a call, so I returned to the hotel only to discover my room had been ready for hours! I was very upset, but the staff was ambivalent. The room they gave me was the smallest 1 bedroom I have ever had at a Residence Inn, and not very clean. The bathroom was disgusting. The "closet" was just a rack screwed into the wall with a few plastic hangers. For $150+/night I expected a lot more.

The parking situation is a mess at this location. First off, you have to pay per day to park in the hotel lot. If you don't pay, you have to park, on the street which is 500m down a hill. I paid for the parking, but this meant that my friends that came to visit me had to park on the street and walk up the hill to the hotel. Very annoying and inconvenient! Also, the parking lot can get full, and most of the time I had to park far from the closest entrance, which also was very far from my room. I did not like this Residence Inn and will not stay there again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Will N
I first would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have had at my hotel. We as a staff work very hard to accommodate every guests need. I will review your comments with my staff so we can provide the best experience for our future guests. If there is anything that I can assist you with in the near future, please call me direct. I would hope you would give us another chance to change your mind about our hotel.

Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Residence Inn Mission Valley from Sunday through Friday on business and am thrilled with my choice. The check in staff was really friendly and helpful. Had the DnD sign on my room most of the week, but when I did ask for service it was excellent! Very happy with my choice and I would highly recommend it!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at our hotel. I’m so glad we could accommodate you when you needed it. My staff and I want nothing more than for you to have the best experience here at the Mission Valley Residence Inn. I’m extremely happy that my staff did just that. We can’t wait to see you again on your next business trip to San Diego.

Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My stay at Residence Inn San Diego- Mission Valley was absolutely the best hotel experience I have ever had. I travel year round across the country and me and my co-workers agree that this is the only place we will stay when we are in San Diego. From the moment we arrived the staff was so friendly and nice. They even remembered us from our last stay out here a few months ago. The free full hot breakfast everyday, free dinner four nights a week and the social hour with free local craft beers and wine and all the other amenities they offer just cannot be beat. Also, Albert the bartender is a one of a kind. He was always so pleasant and could take you from a down mood to laughing and enjoying yourself in no time. Marriot should be honored to have such a great employee. We will always stay at Marriot where ever we travel to.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
I need to start off by saying thank you. As the GM of this hotel, this makes me so proud of my staff. They work so hard to please our guests and to exceed the expectation of our hotel. We love having Albert on the team. He’s a character and a half. I’m so glad that you and your staff love being here. We will keep up the great service and you guys just keep enjoying your stay here at the hotel.

Barendrecht
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed in RIMV family suite with my wife and 9 year old daughter during February 14-21, 2014.
From the moment we walked into the door, we were welcomed by the friendly and helpful staff at the reception desk. Ryan has guided us smoothly through our check in, answered all our questions and provided a lot of information about the area. After a long flight from The Netherlands we were up to a small bite and a quick night rest. Upon the reception's advice we ordered some burgers to our room and could fresh up in the meantime.

The family suite was very spaceful, nicely decorated and very clean. The kitchenette is well equiped with a magnetron, large refridgerator and coffee machine for which new pads were provided on a daily basis. Despite the 9 hours time difference we immediately felt like being at home and we had a great sleep at the comfortable beds.

The complementary breakfast is really good with 3 sorts of scrammbled eggs, baked potatoes, pancakes, sausages, all kind of oats, bagles, bread, jam, yoghurt, coffee, tea, various juices and fresh fruit. The staff in the breakfast room is very friendly and helpful and they keep the buffet filled up at all times.

We did not bring our own transportation nor rented a car, but decided to travel locally by bus and taxi. The hotel is only on 10-15 minutes drive from Seaworld, Old Town, Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo and downtown San Diego with Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village and the beach. A taxi ordered via the reception was normalky at the door step within 5 minutes. After all the trips we have made during our week stay, the transporation fees added up to such an amount that we will certainly consider to rent a car on a next visit. If there is one disadvantage to name after this hotel, it would be that there is no restaurant or shop in walking distance.

Monday till Thursday 6pm-7.30pm the hotel serves a complimentary dinner via a small buffet. The content of the small buffet is varying daily and is very good. Complimentary wine and beer is served at the lounge also Monday to Thursday 6pm-7.30pm. The hotel serves a good quality range of beers and wines.

Our daughter does only speak a little bit of English, but all staff at reception and breakfast/ dinner room have assisted her in a fantastic way with any question.
Also to ourselves the staff at the reception desk as well as the staff in the breakfast/ dinner room and the bartender in the lounge have been very helpful and made us feel very welcome.

Without any exception they all deserve a big compliment for their continuous great service with a smile. Not to forget house keeping who provided us with an absolutely clean suite every day.

If we will return to San Diego, we will certainly return to this hotel, which provides great value for money. Thank you once more for the great time spent in your hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Lagendijk
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank You for such a wonderful review. I'm so happy that you got to experience such a great time here at the hotel and in San Diego. I love it when our guests experience exceed there expiations here. In behalf of my staff and I, we would like to thank you for the kind words and can't wait to see you and your family the next time your in San Diego. You decently