Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$240
US$191
  • Pool
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$337
US$330
  • Pool
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$250
  • Room Service
US$262
US$179
  • Breakfast included
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$191
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$180
US$795
US$676
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$350
US$326
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewshotel circlesea worldmission valleyold towntwo bedroom suitefree beer and winefull kitchenfront desk staffparking feeliving areafamily vacationfashion valleythe breakfast areayogurtshort driveheated poolbalboa park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed a week in the Residence Inn, Mission Valley, San Diego, on a family trip with 2 small children and 3 adults. We stayed in a suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a small living area and a kitchen for a very reasonable rate. Every day we returned from site seeing and it felt like "welcome home". They prepare a simple free dinner Monday through Thursday that could not be more appreciated. There is nothing quite like returning exhausted and not needing to find a restaurant, especially when there are tired children involved. During the 4 nights they served chicken chowmein, a pasta dish, a chicken sandwich and a Mexican dish; all with a nice salad and dessert. They provide a very nice breakfast and one night the staff was having a chip and dip contest. We tried several delicious dips and then voted for the best one. There is also a barbecue grill if you choose to cook your own meal. The staff is exceptional - always smiling, friendly and going out of their way to help. The room was spotless and comfortable. I would not stay anywhere else when visiting San Diego.

1  Thank voyager1Idaho
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking time out of you busy day to write us such a nice review. I’m so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We will review your concerns and see how we can improve. We hope to see you and your family the next time your in town.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in a two bedroom two bath suite which was perfect for me, my husband and two children. The kids each had their own full size bed and shared a bedroom. There was a living room and another bedroom with a king size bed. The best part is that they have a full kitchen with stove, microwave and refrigerator. There is also a dishwasher. It was very nice having a place to put leftovers and reheat them with dishes an silverware supplied in the room. It is conveniently located in Mission Valley near plenty of restaurants and shopping. It is minutes from the beach, Sea World, Old Town and Downtown San Diego. I had a great time there. They also provide a very nice breakfast with the standard bacon or sausage and eggs, waffles, fruit, coffee and juices and other things, and some nights they have a light dinner. I must say cellphone coverage is bad here and I was a little irked to see my bill reflected a $.75 per call charge when I had to use the room phone to make local calls. WiFi was also bad in the rooms but better in the lobby. There is also a $13 a day charge for parking. I would still definitely stay here again.

1  Thank dream_chaser_69

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is quite nice, and we enjoyed the convenient location. Great breakfast buffet. Bedroom was small -- had just enough room to get around the bed. No luggage rack and hard to find a place to lay the suitcases down. Our daughter slept on the sofa bed and was miserable. You could feel the springs as you sat on it. There was no mattress pad. She used the sofa cushion and some blankets they provided (when we complained) to provide some support and comfort. That sofa bed mattress should be replaced! Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank Ral W

Thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review. I’m glad your overall stay was great except for the sofa bed. Please except my apology. We as a hotel want to thrive on giving our guest the stay in San Diego. I will review your comments with my team and see what we can do. I hope you and the family will stay with us again to see what new changes we have made.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Recently traveled with my family (wife and 5 kids, aged 1 to 10) to San Diego for work, and was expecting a 4-week stay. The 4 weeks ended up being 5. From the start, the sales manager (Rebecca) was really helpful in getting us set up with an upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite for the majority of our 5-week stay. The front desk staff was always very helpful, friendly, and was great with our kids.

We really appreciated the free breakfast each morning (and my co-worker and I really appreciated they put out an "early-bird" breakfast for those of us who had to leave for work before 6:30) and the dinners were also great. Both the morning and evening staff made very good meals, and were always accommodating our special requests. The morning staff would give me tortillas to make breakfast burritos, and in the evening Raul made us some cheese-only enchiladas once, and gave us special requests on ice cream several times!

Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room clean, fresh linens and towels, etc.

Overall, a great stay. Couple small things that would have made it perfect:

1) Hotel Internet - while it was free, it was really, really bad.
- In the evening, it was slow enough that just browsing news or ESPN was painfully slow. I wouldn't expect for all 200 guests to be able to watch YouTube or Netflix, but simple web browsing should be allowed.
- The internet is unsecured. Internet shouldn't be unsecured, even if it's just the same password used for extended periods of time.
- The internet agreement portal would reset at weird times, and wouldn't let you know when it expired.
- It was so bad I would have paid $10/day just for internet that could stream netflix or youtube.

2) Housekeeping schedules - my wife came down with our kids and having a set time for housekeeping to come to our room would have been nice. Several days when she wasn't going anywhere, she'd spend 2-3 hours in the lobby then go back to the room, hoping housekeeping had been there, and several times finding they hadn't come yet. Thinking back on it, we should have talked to the front desk to try to set up a consistent housekeeping time.

3) Laundry - it's pretty expensive for an in-hotel laundry room - almost $3/load, for a family of 7, adds up over 5 weeks.

4) Charges for local calls - $.25/min for local calls is silly when you are paying $139/night or more. It's not the amount of money, it's just the principle that bugs me. We couldn't get good cell coverage in our room at times and made a handful of local calls. Why nickel and dime me for $3.00 in local calls when I just paid $5500 (and the coworker I brought to the hotel with me also paid $5500) on a room for the past 5 weeks (and you comped $400 in parking fees since we stayed over a month)?!

Overall, they really made our stay enjoyable and next time I'm down for business, with or without my horde of kids, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a upgrade when you get in, especially if you go during non-busy seasons. Also make sure you are a Marriott reward member.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

First I like to thank you for taking the time to write us this review. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Residence Inn. We strive to be the best hotel here in San Diego. I will review all your suggestions for improvements with my staff and see what changes we can make. We can’t wait to see you again.
Thanks

General Manger

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Our company held a meeting at the Residence Inn and it couldn't have been better. Everything from room set up, to food and beverages were organized and efficiently delivered. The entire hotel is clean and well manicured both inside and out. We were especially grateful the hotel GM and his staff for being so professional and welcoming.

...can't say enough good things, so I'll stop here!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FFreedman
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I first would like to say that my staff and I enjoyed hosting your company meeting this week. Thank you for taking time to write us such a nice review. I shared you comments with my staff today at are quarterly luncheon.