“Unhappy ending”

Ranked #129 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Dallas, Texas
“Unhappy ending”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel for five nights. We were quite happy with the accommodations and service during most of our stay. Unfortunately, our son found bedbugs in his room the last night. We were surprised that a big chain, like the Marriott, made no adjustments to the bill either!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele O
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take situations like this very seriously and hope that none of our guests ever encounter this problem. We have very strict procedures regarding matters such as this. I have looked through our records for the past few weeks and have no reports of this matter being brought to our attention. I would like to have this resolved as soon as possible. If you could please call myself here at the property so I can get more details from you in regards to your comments it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your valued feedback, and we hope to see you here again in San Diego.

Thom Mosher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

This is a hotel in San Diego's Hotel Circle. It's what you expect when thousands of people stay at these hotels. It's in fair condition but surprisingly clean. The is like a mini apartment. Has a small kitchen area with a two burner stove, full fridge and a sink. It's great for families that are staying for a few days and want to eat in. There is a small desk area, seating area with sleep sofa and a separate room with two queen beds and bathroom. We are a family of five that slept comfy ( I got the sleeper sofa). Over all, location was good, price was fair and staff was friendly. I've stayed at other hotels in Hotel Circle and was extremely disappointed. If you are set on staying at a hotel in Hotel Circle, this place is a a nice place to stay.

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you found your room to be comfortable for your family and our service met your needs. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Thom Mosher
Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
huntington beach, ca
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Tired from enduring the "parking lot" crawl from LA to San Diego, we arrived at the hotel CRANKY, to say the least.
But from the moment we got to the front desk, our mini-vacation turned from "yuck" to GREAT. Bryan, a helpful, cheerful and friendly guy efficiently helped with our reservation and even upgraded us! Brittany was also on hand to give some advice and make us feel welcome. We travel a lot and wish that all front desk personnel were as terrific as they are.
We had breakfast at the hotel and it was pretty much in line with all of the other Marriotts we stay at: plentiful, fresh and well maintained. A big plus was the courtesy and friendliness of Jesus Gutierrez who made sure we had enough coffee and asked if he could do anything else to make our meal even more pleasant. I have to say that I was very impressed by the professionalism and efficiency of this young man.
The personnel we encountered during this visit were truly impressive. As business owners with many employees, we are always impressed by the "extra effort" given by some employees. People like Bryan, Brittany and Jesus are part of the reason why we continue to patronize the Marriott chain of hotels. (we're Gold members)

a couple of suggestions for improvement: it would be helpful to have disposable plastic cups in the kitchen and bathroom areas. I can understand the need for cutting down on waste, but it is annoying to have to use mugs from the kitchen when brushing your teeth.
also, I was surprised not to have a shower cap provided.
the room was visually clean, but could profit from a deep cleaning. the phone in particular, was sticky and the lamps looked as if they hadn't been dusted for awile. the table had what appeared to be creamer particles spilled over from the rectangular holder with the coffee paraphernalia.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I love hearing when my staff is changing your experience in having a great day. I will make sure that Bryan, Brittany and Jesus will hear what a wonderful review you have sent us. I will also get with my house keeping to make sure that we are on top of our cleaning. We will look forward to your next stay when you’re in San Diego.

Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We travelled to San Diego during the March spring break and stayed 4 nights at the Residence Inn. We arrived late on Saturday evening (March 22, 2014) and was greeted by a very pleasant front desk staff who took the time to explain the hotel's amenities (breakfast, hosted dinner, heated pool and room). The hotel is located close to Sea World, SD Zoo and Old Towne, SD. It is also close to a golf course and there is a Nordstrom Rack, Macy's, Target and Whole Foods nearby.

The kitchen was great as we had eaten out for the past 5 days and having a home cooked meal was welcome.

I would return to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for all the great complements of the hotel and thing you enjoyed while you were here. We will look forward to the next time you can stay with us again.

Idaho
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed a week in the Residence Inn, Mission Valley, San Diego, on a family trip with 2 small children and 3 adults. We stayed in a suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a small living area and a kitchen for a very reasonable rate. Every day we returned from site seeing and it felt like "welcome home". They prepare a simple free dinner Monday through Thursday that could not be more appreciated. There is nothing quite like returning exhausted and not needing to find a restaurant, especially when there are tired children involved. During the 4 nights they served chicken chowmein, a pasta dish, a chicken sandwich and a Mexican dish; all with a nice salad and dessert. They provide a very nice breakfast and one night the staff was having a chip and dip contest. We tried several delicious dips and then voted for the best one. There is also a barbecue grill if you choose to cook your own meal. The staff is exceptional - always smiling, friendly and going out of their way to help. The room was spotless and comfortable. I would not stay anywhere else when visiting San Diego.

1 Thank voyager1Idaho
Thank you so much for taking time out of you busy day to write us such a nice review. I’m so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We will review your concerns and see how we can improve. We hope to see you and your family the next time your in town.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed in a two bedroom two bath suite which was perfect for me, my husband and two children. The kids each had their own full size bed and shared a bedroom. There was a living room and another bedroom with a king size bed. The best part is that they have a full kitchen with stove, microwave and refrigerator. There is also a dishwasher. It was very nice having a place to put leftovers and reheat them with dishes an silverware supplied in the room. It is conveniently located in Mission Valley near plenty of restaurants and shopping. It is minutes from the beach, Sea World, Old Town and Downtown San Diego. I had a great time there. They also provide a very nice breakfast with the standard bacon or sausage and eggs, waffles, fruit, coffee and juices and other things, and some nights they have a light dinner. I must say cellphone coverage is bad here and I was a little irked to see my bill reflected a $.75 per call charge when I had to use the room phone to make local calls. WiFi was also bad in the rooms but better in the lobby. There is also a $13 a day charge for parking. I would still definitely stay here again.

1 Thank dream_chaser_69

Sitka, Alaska
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is quite nice, and we enjoyed the convenient location. Great breakfast buffet. Bedroom was small -- had just enough room to get around the bed. No luggage rack and hard to find a place to lay the suitcases down. Our daughter slept on the sofa bed and was miserable. You could feel the springs as you sat on it. There was no mattress pad. She used the sofa cushion and some blankets they provided (when we complained) to provide some support and comfort. That sofa bed mattress should be replaced! Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank Ral W
Thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review. I’m glad your overall stay was great except for the sofa bed. Please except my apology. We as a hotel want to thrive on giving our guest the stay in San Diego. I will review your comments with my team and see what we can do. I hope you and the family will stay with us again to see what new changes we have made.