“Above average hotel and excellent staff!”

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #132 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed for a total of 4 nights so got to know the property and surrounding area pretty well.

The good:
- Convenient location: Fashion Valley Shopping Center, Target, Macy's all within 5-10 minute drive. Sea World and Old Town a bit farther but still relatively close by
- Free breakfast and dinner (M-Th): Dinners were somewhat inconsistent depending on what they served. Breakfast was delish with outstanding selection of hot and cold items plus juices, teas, and coffee.
- Good amenities including exercise room (small but good variety of equipment), basketball court, laundry room, in and out parking, arcade (albeit with ancient video games).

The EXTRA good:
- Free cocktails (M-Th): I was most impressed with this as they had a GOOD beer and wine selection. In addition to standard bottled beers, they also had at least 5 locally brewed beers on tap which were tasty good. All served in a separate bar area with TVs to watch the games.
- Attentive staff: We had an issue with the tub draining properly and the staff worked quickly and diligently at fixing the problem. Due to the inconvenience, they offered a room discount which I thought was fair. Kudos to Antonio and the maintenance staff!

Not so good:
- Walls and flooring are pretty thin as we could hear a lot of noise from adjoining rooms (and I'm sure they could hear us).
- Half of the rooms face the pool so it can get pretty noisy especially during the summer with a lot of kids. Pool closes at 9 or 10 pm so noise can continue until pretty late.
- No luggage racks so you either have to unpack all of your stuff into the dressers or put your suitcases on the floor.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are those not facing the pool.
1  Thank flyaway4eva
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. Our goal is to make everyones stay as pleasent as possiable. I am glad my staff was able to provide you with the service you expect when saying with the Marriott family of hotels. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!!!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Pros
Rooms are specious
staff are helpful
location is good

Cons
- Parking Charges : I just don't understand why there is a parking charge to begin with - this is not a downtown location. this is not in front of zoo that you don't have to take your car. this is not a valet parking then why?

Parking spaces is extremely tight. you can not open door if other car is parked next to you.

Pool Towels - they are a joke. seriously. Never seen pool towels as small as kitchen towels and as "grey" as they had. just don't use them.

Noise- walls are very thin.

you have to ask for service your room or else it won't get serviced. this is a surprise. why wouldn't I want a towels, toilet paper and vacuum. this is a family hotel remember?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I will discuss your comments and concerns with my staff and hope to come up with some changes to the challengages that you have expressed. Without hearing about hese concerns we can not fix them. Thank you for bringing these issue to our attention and hope that upon your next visit you will see a reflection of your review.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The room was good plenty of space for our family of five. The staff was friendly and the morning breakfast was nice. Could have been a little but cleaner but was ok. The location was great it was close to all the attractions especially Sea World. Overall it was a nice stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay here at the Residence Inn Mission Valley. I’m happy to see you had a good time with us. I will also discuss your comments with my staff to see what we can do to improve your next experience here. Stay with us again and see what new changes we are making for a better experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family stayed there for 7 nights last week, and everything about our stay was outstanding. We had a 2-bedroom family suite which was perfect for our 2 pre-teen children. There was plenty of room for everyone and having a full kitchen was a great feature. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

The breakfast buffet had something for everyone--eggs, potatoes, waffles, oatmeal. We took advantage of the weeknight complimentary dinner as well--this is a great cost savings for families on a budget.

Kids used the pool everyday and it was always clean and well-maintained. Although there were always people around the hotel, it never felt too crowded.

The location is perfect if you're visiting Sea World, the San Diego Zoo, the Gaslamp District, or downtown. You're only minutes away from all of the major attractions and it's an easy drive just off the freeway.

I cannot say enough good things about this Residence Inn!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request a room toward the rear of the hotel. Our room was at the fro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

What a perfect review. I’m glad your family had a great time with us. I’m always happy to hear when our guests enjoyed there vacation. It’s been great having you and I hope you stay with us again on your next vacation to San Diego.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed at and the free breakfast was awesome the rooms were clean and beautiful and the pool and spa is always clean I would go back next time and you should go to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing us such a great review. Thanks for pointing out some of the great things we provide for our guests. We can’t wait to have you back. See you soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I love this hotel chain and am a rewards member but don't believe I will ever, ever return based off this experience. We tried checking in on a Saturday afternoon to spend Mothers Day in San Diego. At any other location I pay cash for the room and they pre-authorize my card for around 50 dollars for incidentals. Well at this location they want to authorize your card for 300 dollars on top of paying cash for the room!!! After arguing with the rudest female manager ever. She told me that if I pay with my card I wont have to worry about the 300 dollar authorization. So I had to drive around for an hour to go to the bank put money in my account and return. Sorry some of us do not put $500.00 to the side for a one night stay in a hotel...So upon return to the hotel she again tries running my card for 300 dollars after telling me it wasn't necessary if I used my card.. REALLY! So this went back and forth for another 30 minutes.. Finally she "hooks me up" by running it for 200 still 60 more then the room and waived the parking charge for the inconvenience...Really WOW thanks for the 13 dollars after 2 hours of arguing!! I thought the customer is always right. She could care less about my business. To top it off, that night I go outside and there are RATS!! running up and down the hand rails to the stairs in the back.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Another guest saw them and laughed saying he couldn't believe it either. Upon check out I make them aware of the rude manager and they apologized and offered me some of the coffee we really liked at the hotel. I appreciate the gesture but really... you think giving me coffee is going to make up for the worst hotel experience of my life? Thanks for ruining our Mothers Day weekend Residence Inn!! I will never return to this hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt_Prohaska
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Mr. Prohaska,

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we caused you during your check in. We have strict policies and procedures when it comes to methods of payment. As for the rude service you received I would love to speak with you personally so I can get more details about the situation that occurred so I can be sure my staff is properly educated on how to handle that matter in the future. With regards to your statement about the Rats, we take our pest control very serious. I have informed our 3rd party vendor (ECOLAB) of your comments and they have taken the appropriate actions to address any pest control issues there may be coming from the mountainside in the back of the property.

I look forward to hearing from you personally,

(619)881-3615

Reviewed 29 May 2014

the staff couldn't have been friendlier and more accommodating. we did have a problem with a leak in our room and were immediately moved to new rooms. stop listening to luckyEvery morning it was a joy to go to breakfast and only because the food was good but to see so many families with children. It was never noisy and it was a separate area with children's tables as well as available highchairs. My grandchildren really enjoyed the swimming pool after busy days of sightseeing. the grounds are very well And there were flowers and new plantings - pretty good for an urban hotel. The location is terrific with easy access to US 5, 8 and you are within 5 miles of the airport, Sea world, zoo.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CG4746446

It was a joy to have you and your family stays with us. Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate it when our guest gets to tells us how much of a great time they have had with us.
I could tell the time you got to spend with your grandchildren was very special to you and I am glad we were able to be a part of that. I will be sure to start off the day by sharing your kind words with my entire staff in our next meeting. We can’t wait to see you and the family again.

Thank You!!!