“Great for family on a budget” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley

Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Murrieta, California
“Great for family on a budget”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great hotel for families of 4+. We are a family of five, so we sometimes are forced to get two rooms. We rented the two bedroom suite ( 1king, 2 twins and sofa bed). We decided to extend our stay and moved to a one bedroom suite (2 queens and sofa bed). Both suites had living room and kitchen area. Hotel offered daily a free hot breakfast buffet and dinner and free happy hour M-Th. The happy hour offered a nice selection of locally brewed beers as well as the typical fair and a very nice selection of wines. Staff was very professional and friendly. Hotel also had a laundry room on site. This hotel is a great value for traveling families.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Happy to know that your family had a great time here with us and you found the rooms to be spacious enough for your family of 5. We hope to see you back enjoying some of the 7 local beers that we have on tap with us.

Thank you!!!

Thompson Mosher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is definitely a family resort. Kids crawling all over the place. The rooms face the pool and the pool doesn't shut down until 10pm, thus, it can get very noisy. The free meal at dinnertime was an added bonus. Again, very much geared towards kids: bacon wrapped hot dogs, ice cream, etc. The hot breakfast the next morning was nice, but the usual fare. We booked a one bedroom suite. It was super roomy. My daughter and I each took a bed in the bedroom and my son slept on the pull out couch in the living room. He said it was uncomfortable, but I think that's sort of typical for those types of couches. The kitchen was roomy and it was nice to have a desk and a dining room table....it gave our little group a little bit of separation, which was appreciated by everyone. My only beef: the dreaded parking fee. I think it's a huge rip-off. There was more than enough parking for everyone who wanted it. I know that RI isn't alone in charging for this, so I guess I can't exactly blame them. Oh...the building itself is a little industrial looking, which initially put me off a bit, but I grew to appreciate the clean lines. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I would stay again, but not for rest and relaxation.

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the complimentary evening meals and you were able to find the space in your room relaxing. I will be sure to pass your positive comments regarding the service you received on to my team. The staff and I look forward to seeing you and your family in the future!!!

Thank You!!!

Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip to the San Diego area. I usually stay downtown, but a convention was in progress and the only rooms that were available there were very high priced. I was pleased to find that this hotel is close to the airport (about 8 min), but far enough away so you don't hear the noise. You can also drive to and from the airport without getting on the freeway, so avoiding traffic is easy. The entrance and lobby area were very clean. The staff was friendly and served us quickly. The rooms were standard Residence inn style: clean and neat as expected. This property has a very nice pool (see photos) and the dining area was much larger than most Residence Inns, and even had a separate seating with small chairs / tables for young children (see photo) . I was surprised at how large the breakfast spread was. They had 3 waffle machines and a good assortment of foods, even though I only had a banana! Officially, breakfast starts at 6:30am, but I told the staff that I had to catch an early flight and was told that they would start to have food ready just after 5am. I will definitely stay here again. Parking is $13 per car / per night.

Room Tip: Old town San Diego is only about a mile away, and there are lots of good places to eat and shop the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind review. I'm glad the location of our property worked well for you. I hope the next time you return you can indulge a bit more into our breakfast rather than just enjoying a banana. Again thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a great experience during our 3 day stay! Incredible value with full breakfast AND dinner (enough food during social hour to count as dinner). Although quite busy, staff kept bringing out more food and were very courteous. Within 20 minutes of checking in, the front desk called to see how things were. Only set back was $13 for overnight parking but $ we saved on food was worth it. Had great selection in maker, lots of washers and dryers, courteous staff and very clean!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind review. Very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here with us! We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We travel on business and to date have spent 1000 nights over the last ten years in the various properties all over the country. The following are the cons of the proper. There were out of control kids running around and trashing the breakfast area. Milk spilled, cereal on the floor, and parents ravaging the food to take in to their rooms. We couldn't get a cup of coffee or anything because we arrived at 8:45 and everything was gone. The rooms are so small you can barely open and close the bedroom door. The internet crawls. The AC blower is so loud you can barely sleep with the roar. The walls are paper thin. Elevators are incredibly slow and packed with kids pushing the buttons. They charge you 13 dollars to park at an extended stay property in a suburban area. The rooms are dark and dreary. We lived in San Diego for 10 years so we are aware of how expensive hotels in this area can be but if you paid full price for this proper, you were ripped off. The service was awful. We requested an extra blanket and the front desk lady was rude. We checked out after one day. This was con sited with a Super 8 or Howard Johnson's at a Residence Inn price.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dana H
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I understand that it gets a bit hectic in the summer months with the fun family atmosphere. We take any and all comments very serious and I will be sure we address your concerns. I humbly ask that you give us another chance in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Decent hotel because of its close proximity to all San Diego attractions; lying in the heart of Mission Valley and in a location that provides easy access to freeway makes for a great location.

Pool was noisy, yes, but staff enforced quiet hours policy, which was appreciated. Front desk staff was hospitable upon check-in. Kitchen and bar staff hustled to accommodate guests, which was much appreciated.

However, felt less than par clientele was a bit of a deterrent (which ultimately is out of hotel control, but perhaps lower rates and/or deals attract those of questionable character?) and noticed I had fleas crawling on me as I sat on the couch. Understand hotel is pet friendly, but grossed out nonetheless.

Would probably venture to explore other Mission Valley options upon a return visit before returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you found the location of our property convenient for you to access all of your San Diego attractions. I have made notes of your concerns and we will be sure to address them to make sure every guests experience a positive one.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for three weeks in June of 2014. It was very busy, lots of kids, and a little noisy. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but they couldn't control the noise. Kids were running up and down the hall until almost 11:00pm. For the price we paid, $209 per night for 18 nights, I expected a bit more. There were a lot of amenities like a gym, dinners Monday-Thursday, all day coffee, a convenience store and free Wi-Fi. The complimentary breakfast was very good, but again way too many kids running around. Long lines for food and coffee made it not worth the time. Our suite was very comfortable with a nice little full service kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. The pool area was a nice place to spend time in the afternoon until the kids came back from their outings. If you are looking for a relaxing place to spend your vacation, pick another place. If you like the loud family atmosphere, this is the place for you! All in all, the value just wasn't there.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the pool, it is very loud! Also, ask for a room on the top floor to avo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RIMVGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and comments. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Thom Mosher