“Great place to stay in San Deigo”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #118 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brookline, New Hampshire
“Great place to stay in San Deigo”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed hre for six nights during a vacation to San Diego. We did not care about being at the beach and wanted a central location. This was within walking distance of the restaurants around Old Town and we could drive t most San Diego destinations in about 15 minutes. It was clean, pleasant and very comfortable. We did not use the pool. The breakfast bar/buffet was nice.

Green Features: Ths place is very "green" and has won awards for it from this site
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank foresterc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here on New Years Eve and it was great. It's a little walk to Old Town and the train station. From the train station it's just a short time to downtown. Breakfast was great and delicious. Some people were being noisy all night and they dealt with it in a kind manner and sent security up there. After they sent security up 3 times they decided to finally be quiet but we were happy that they attempted to help our problem. There key system is a bit different and takes a few attempts to master. And it's broken up into different sections so if you are in the last area you have to go through a couple hallways to get to the main lobby, so always have your key.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 January 2014

As a business traveler, there are certain things that I look for.........details........I was offered the Marriott Bonus points upon check-in but was not thanked for being a Platinum Guest....fine.

The hotel is interesting - the outside courtyard - super cute.

The rooms are outside-ish down a hallway that is secured with your keycard.
Floors are quasi thin and I was in an adjoining room - fine - but the person next time me must have a lot of hair because the blow dryer was on for a long time one night (date night possibly?)
First night, my room had two conditioners - and the office was down the way, around the corner, etc. and I didn't want to deal with it.

I think this would be a great hotel for the casual personal traveler but didn't suit my fancy as a business traveler. I had a few additional weeks booked and I cancelled the reservations.

Room Tip: Request something facing in towards the courtyard!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank seakobi
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Wanting to stay in Old Town and use Marriott points, I had my choice of Marriot Courtyard and this hotel.

PROS: Staff very helpful and professional. Nice outside area. Great location. Rooms are upgraded with flatscreen tv, refrigerator and microwave.

CONS: Large groups that were very noisy. The inner courtyard seems to amplify the noise. Rooms just ok. Some tearing on the furniture and the toilet holder fell part when I tried to use. Originally, we were in a room that was near the stairs and ice machine, looking onto the courtyard - way too noisy. After the first night, I asked to change rooms to the street side. Much quieter, but room had a moldy musty smell and windows would not open ("For security reasons"). Then I was changed to another room that was occupied. Finally, 4th try which put me at almost the exact location as the first, but a floor up. This room had a humming noise that came on every hour for about 15 minutes, Weird. With the large groups, the breakfast area was utter chaos, so we opted to go out each day to restaurants.

Despite the excellent location, we would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the streets do not have windows that can open.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kcollett67
Escondido, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

First I will state that I stayed here on New year's eve but it should not be an excuse on my bad stay. I have booked here before because of the great location and did not experience anything horrible. Anyways this time around my boyfriend and I checked in and the room we were given had a strong odor of wet towels (mildew), I called about the issue and the solution given was to have housekeeping come and spray something.

I asked for another room because spraying some solution was not going to do the trick and who knows what could have caused the smell in the first place. We were able to get another room but according to the front desk room 205 was the only one available and it was an accessible room. As long as it didn't have any odor I was fine but the room turned out to be worse. The tub had rust in it and I mean a lot of rust, there was chipped sections all over the tub. Hair was in the sink and also hair was found by the toilet. The remote for the tv had some sort of stickey residue on it as well. After this I was furious because when we checked in there I wasn't greeted as a Marriott rewards member and I was told there were no more rooms available aftee trying to switch again. However I did see a couple of people check in after me and I couldn't believe I was lied to.

After that stay, I have no interest going back. Please don't response saying some generic statement unless you will actually try and make that room better or something else to go above and beyond a simple apology.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RNA47
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I like to stay within the Marriott family, so in Old Town San Diego the choices are the Fairfield and the Courtyard. Both are solid but I think I prefer the Fairfield. It's reliable and has a bit more flavor than the Courtyard. The pool area, architecture, and location are better in my eye. It's only one block further from the freeway than the Courtyard, but it really does make a difference. There are so many great restaurants in walking distance--it's hard to beat.

If you're thinking of staying at Hotel Circle, give Old Town a look instead. It's only 5 minutes from Hotel Circle but it's an entirely different world. It's so close to the airport and freeways that it's a good base for most of San Diego.

The breakfast at the Fairfield was good, on par with basic expectations. The exercise room is small, but it was never crowded. I will say that the walls are a bit thin, though. I could hear my neighbors (above and to the side) pretty well.

I did not pay for parking at the hotel and had no problem finding a spot within one block every night. I recommend not paying for parking unless you come back to the hotel one night and can't find a spot. You can always add parking later if you need it.

When I head back to this area, the Fairfield and Courtyard are my one and two.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MLNC
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear MLNC,

Thank you so much for the great positive feedback from your most recent stay! I would agree with you that if I were going to stay in San Diego, I would look at Old town instead of Hotel Circle. Old Town gives you the ability to walk around a safe area and get to restaurants and shops.
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Our group stayed at the Fairfield in Old Town San Diego recently. The hotel met all of our expectations and was conveniently located within a short walking distance from Old Town. The hotel room was a little bit on the small side, but it was clean, quiet and nicely decorated.

The hotel serves a complimentary breakfast which was included in the room rates. Our room had complimentary wifi, which worked well. The hotel also has a pool and hot tub, located in an attractive central courtyard.

Overall, this hotel was good value and in a great location. I'd definitely recommend staying here, and would not hesitate to stay here again myself when I visit San Diego again.

As a tip to travelers, don't bother paying the $15 hotel parking fee. We parked on the street for free directly across from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Cbevers
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
I am glad you and your entire group enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield Inn Old Town. The hotel is perfect for large or small groups. We are proud of our new "Hot Breakfast" and all the guests are enjoying it daily. Please come back next year and stay with us again.