“Easy walk to Old Town San Diego”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #121 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Easy walk to Old Town San Diego”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a very nice Fairfield Inn that is 5 minutes from the airport. It is very close to popular San Diego attractions. For great food and shopping fun, Old Town San Diego is just a few minutes walk down the street. Parking is extremely limited so if you have a car, plan to pay to use the underground hotel parking. The hotel has 3 floors but the first floor is pretty much below ground level with no view. The 2nd floor where I stayed is actually at street level. The hotel has a very nice open courtyard with fountains, seating areas and swimming pool. All are meticulously maintained. Rooms were modern, clean, well-maintained and easy to work in. The lobby is good sized and has a breakfast area with indoor and outdoor (courtyard) seating. The breakfast fare is average - nothing special. All in all, a very nice hotel that I highly recommend.

Room Tip: You need to be on 2nd or 3rd floor to have any type of view. Be careful when entering the undergrou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Hoodsport, Washington
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have stayed at this property many times. It's comfortable, staff is friendly and helpful. The location has great fwy access. You can walk all around San Diego's Old Town easily and if you need anything the Old Town Liquor & Deli is just across the street.
I do have to say, the property is starting to look tired in the hallways, but nowhere else, maybe new paint would help. Rooms are clean, comfortable and they have all you need. The courtyard and pool area is also very nice and relaxing.

Room Tip: Every experience I've had has been great and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Fairfield Marriott old town San Diego 3/12/14-3/16/14
How can someone stay at a place twice and have two different experiences? This is my question today as I mull over this at the Fairfield in old town San Diego for my second stay.
Last year I was here with my daughter and we had this great room overlooking the courtyard, everything was nice and fresh, I gave them high marks and liked it so much, when we discovered we were coming back to the area, I told my husband all about this hotel and said we should stay here!! So, booked a room for four nights and looked forward to an enjoyable experience again. Reading back through my notes I had said the rooms were a little worn, and the towels a little thin.. But was no way prepared for the room we got this time in March. Arrived about 8pm on march 12 in our rental car. I remembered where to park temporarily for check in and also that they had underground parking ($15 per night) self parking. Ran in while DH waited at curb, checked in quickly as no one else in line. Front desk woman was occupied chatting with two men (workers or customers was not apparent) but right away I had a less then great feeling as her attitude was "your bothering me!!" She did the "welcome back and welcome as an elite customer" in a monotone and very unwelcoming spiel, but I overlooked it, accepted my room keys and was back out in the car to park and get into our room, our SD Vaca had started! Parking is under hotel in a gated area, you use your key to obtain entry, seems safe and secure until you realize anyone from lobby has access to this area!! Hmmm. Not so secure as first thought! We take elevator to first floor where our room is and realize our room is in building behind main one (sad face) but we proceed. We are in room 130, first floor down a corridor (which has secure locked doors but are propped open on both ends which lead to outside access through gates (not seemingly as secure as one would think) the first thing we notice when approaching room is that the door is quite banged up, upon entering there is quite a musty odor with a damp feeling. The room itself is quite small, two queen beds??, that just fit wall to wall, the entryway has ceiling tiles that are hanging loose, nice sized closet with hangers, iron and board, extra blankets. Half sized fridge, with single coffee maker and microwave in good shape but rest of the rooms furniture is quite scuffed, dresser, mirror, desk all looked like their days are over with, there is a comfy office chair and a single chair. We open curtains to find out we are facing a solid wall where if we look way up, we can see feet walk by above. We are located in the basement, so much for the musty smell, which pervades the room and is there our entire stay! Ugh!! Then we open the bathroom door and my first thought was: someone was killed in here!! Then I realize that the bathtub is just all beat up and rusty!, first I thought it was blood all over the bottom of the tub, I felt slightly better when I realize it is rusty, also is the towel rack, the shower curtain hangs at a weird angle and I don't want to touch it! The entire bottom if the tub dips at a weird angle and makes a trough in the middle. I immediately back out and tell DH I need to go talk to the front desk! I do not want to stay in a musty dank room! So I walk back down to the front desk to the not so cheery person and relate what I have found. Her answer is to let me know we have gotten the "last available room", guess we're lucky huh?? And that's that, of course we can always keep checking back but they are booked and sorry!! When I ask if there's anyone else I can talk with, no, there isn't! So, needless to say we are stuck in this room for four nights with it's dank, musty smell, the shower that feels like your falling through the floor, the entire experience was not good. A few days our maid never showed up, and we had to call for towels, nothing ever was replaced, as in soap, etc., we never felt quite safe as many times doors were propped open and gates were left unlocked. You could walk into the hotel and access any elevator or hallway or even the secure parking lot. The breakfast was still decent and the coffee was hot. It still is in good proximity to old town, shoppes, restaurants and the bus/train station plus the trolley. So... Was this a good experience?? No,would I stay here again or recommend the hotel, not for the price we paid. There are far too many other hotels right in the same area, so my advice would be, try another hotel!!

Room Tip: Look before you agree to a room, our first one last year was great, this time, not a good experience...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laenie
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Laenie,

Thank you for your response I am sorry that your second stay was not as acceptable as your first stay was. I will be sure to address your concerns our staff. I would love for you to come back and give us a try again.

Steve Pastor
Tuolumne City, California, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2014

this was a one night stay for Marine Corps graduation and the hotel was awesome, it was easy to find and easy to get to MCRD, the rooms were very clean and roomy, the breakfast was great plenty off choices and very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Whittier, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Choose this hotel cause of the close proximity to old town. Pros: great location close to everything, fridge, flat screen, great breakfast. Cons: found trash under the sink, sink drain smelled awful due to abs pipes exposed under the sink prob the p-trap. Hotel staff was ok.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ExploringWonderland
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Exploring Wonderland,

I appreciate your honest feedback about the Fairfield Inn Old Town. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the updated rooms and large screen TV's and convenient location! I do apologize for the problems you experienced in your room and have already reached out to our operations team to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Thank you and we hope to see you back in the future.
Galiano Island, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We booked this hotel on line without previous knowledge and we could not have been more satisfied. The breakfast was not a 'BUN and RUN' affair but rather a complete breakfast with everything a person might wish. A short stroll to the Old Town was an added + and the location of the Trolley Bus terminal topped it off. the best way to get a feeling for San Diego is to take the trolley and jump off and on the 11 stops......parked our truck on the street and returned 3 days later.....a great get-a-way ....

Room Tip: ...we chose an inside room away from road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RalphnRocky
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Rockynralph,

Thank you so much for the kind words in regards to your recent stay at my hotel in Old Town. I am so glad you enjoyed our New Hot Breakfast! Please keep us in mind the next time you travel back to San Diego.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Judging from the outside of the hotel, it didn't look like anything to write home about, but this ended up being a really great place to stay in San Diego!

LOCATION: The location is great! It is a short walk from the hotel to the main street of Old Town shops and restaurants. We did a trolley tour and the first stop was on the main street as well so it was nice just to walk there from our hotel to catch the trolley. There's also a historical museum of San Diego right down the street that you can walk to.

ROOM: We upgraded for an extra $10 per night to get a room with a 'balcony' (it's more of just a look out), the doors swing open and you can take about one step outside of your room. However, I LOVED it because we slept with the door open and we fell asleep to the sound of the fountain in the courtyard below. Very peaceful.

I also liked that the outdoor hot tub was open late, so we definitely took advantage of that after our long days of site seeing!

They have continental breakfast, which was nothing special, but I was grateful that we didn't have to pay for an extra meal everyday.

The only negative thing I could say is that the room didn't have shampoo in it, which is a big problem especially us ladies with very long hair. We received two conditioners and and a bar of soap & that was it...luckily I had travel size shampoo with me..

Overall, great place to stay...do the balcony rooms & the hot tub...and take advantage of the location by visiting Old Town!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are worth the extra $10 per night - sleep with the door cracked and you can fall aslee...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple