“A gem near Old Town! ”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town
Ranked #119 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over 4th of July weekend and loved every moment! Room was on 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the courtyard and swimming pool. Slept with the balcony doors open every night - it was perfect! Rooms were clean, spacious, and modern. Above expectations for a Fairfield Inn. Only thing that was average was the breakfast. Will stay here again for business or vacations in San Diego.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We arrived late from Honolulu into San Diego, the hotel is not too far from the airport. It took about 20 minutes from Rental Car office to the hotel ground, which is not too bad. We parked the car on the street, parking spots were plenty on week night.

The room was decent size and clean, the breakfast the next morning was nothing special, but it's free, so we are not complaining. Overall, this is a pretty choice in SD Old Town, my 65 years old parents both agreed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason C
Reviewed 31 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our recent stay was a wonderful getaway. The Fairfield was easy to find off the freeway and within walking distance to Old Town and the trolley tour ride pick up. It was clean and well kept up. The breakfast was an added bonus with hot food as well. The courtyard with the fountains set it apart from other hotels giving it a bit of ambiance. The hotel personnel, down to the maids, were very pleasant. They upgraded us to a courtyard view for no extra charge. Only problem I could see, which didn't really bother us, is that people sit and talk in the courtyard during the morning and night hours. You can hear them in the room, but closing the door off the balcony helps. Would definitely stay there and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: IF you want fresh air and a view, ask for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very nice property, when we first arrived I was a little wary because the entrance is right off the street, but once you get into the property it's very pleasant. The interior decor is very nice. The location is good, close to the freeway, short drive to downtown and Old Town is a few blocks away. There is was no noise from traffic or anything. The room was comfortable; could have used some better lighting, but not a big deal. The amenities were great. The hot breakfast was a great way to start the day. We'll definitely keep this hotel in mind when we stay in SD again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our recent stay was very nice. The room in the back building, was very clean and nicely decorated. We arrived late and were not only welcomed cordially, but our parking fee was waived as grandson was graduating from MCRD. That was extremely generous. I asked for and received a quiet room; but next time will remember to try for windows that open. I imagine for safety reasons and streetside was the reason ours were sealed shut. Breakfast was a real savings; yes, simple, but it was welcomed by our family, who have simple tastes. Really, how many waffles, bagels, etc. can you eat at one sitting. I think for the time and budget savings, it was well worth it. The breakfast area was always clean,tidy, and the outside areas are very nicely decorated with beautiful plantings. I like that you can access the property only by a key card to outside gates or through the front lobby. That made me feel secure. The beds were extremely comfortable; I have a bad back, so this was very important to me in particular. You are within walking distance to Old Town and we only had to use the car to get to MCRD. The bathrooms were very, very clean and I like that they only change your sheets/towels if needed. We went all three nights without having them changed. Once you get the hang of the 3 buildings, it's a cinch to get to and from your room. Overall, we were treated exceptionally well and any questions or concerns were addressed immediately by the staff. We got a killer recommendation for the Coyote Cafe and loved it so much, we ate there all three nights. It was simply awesome! And, don't bother with trying to park on the street. There's not that much parking in the area, and I would not have liked to ponder where I was going to park late at night. The parking garage is a little tight, but our SUV made it in and out quite handily, plus access to your vehicle, again, is only by key card. How safe can that be. I do think, though, that the parking fee could be a little less, even though we didn't have to pay for it this time. I think 1/2 the price would be more reasonable. Will absolutely stay there again, and I am very particular about the hotels/motels I stay in. I really couldn't come up with any reason not to be a repeat customer. Thank you for such a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back building. The neighborhood behind there was exceptionally quiet and a hig...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SonomaFoodie
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Arrived in San Diego to enjoy 7 days from snow of Calgary, Canada. Confirmed pickup at airport and all once we had our baggage. Took 1.5 before someone finally came to get us. I had confirmed reservation at hotel and all week prior for two queen beds at this hotel. Upon arrival, the hotel was already full due to the Marine Graduation at Miramair Marine base north of San Diego. Our reservation was for double occupancy two queen beds, but instead as they couldnt accomendate we ended up with a studio with one bed. I had taken my mother along with me on this holiday and this was not the best way to start my holiday. They provided a bed (futon rolly in bed) which was not comfortable at all. The lady at the information desk told us to check in two days as maybe something would show up and they would try. We arrived on Wednesday and couldn't get a two bedroom occupancy till Saturday. The service people at the front desk seemed very abrupt and rude.

Beds not comofrtable; pillows very flat and linens very dirty when we arrived. Upon checking out they made me feel very stupid. The contential breakfast was a joke as nothing avaliable at 7:30am as hotel was loaded. We spent a lot of money in Old Town at Hungry's or lil cafes to have breakfast as atleast we were guaranteed a hot breakfast or something to eat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Saskrider1981
Steve P, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Saskrider1981,

Thank you for your comments. We take all feedback serioulsy, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. You can be assured that I will address these issues with my staff to correct them from happening in the future. Again I do apologize for any problems you may have encountered and please feel free to contact me directly if you are coming back to the area for furture reseravtions.

Steve Pastor