“San Diego...my dogs favorite place ever”
Review of Ocean Villa Inn

Ocean Villa Inn
Ranked #157 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 June 2013

For people this is probably at best a 2 star motel...but if you travel with your dog and plan on traveling to a California dog friendly beach, this place is a dream come true! I have stayed at this motel at least 10 times. Downstairs rooms are tiled and great for dogs! They have a great dog bathing station at the end of the building and even supply shampoo and towels! The worst thing for the humans is the bath towels...they basically suck! I understand why they dont provide better quality ones as many people would use them on the dogs or take them to the beach but seriously, they really suck. The motel does offer a laundry and I took some of my own towels last trip.
If you like dogs and enjoy taking yours with you then check this place out....if you dont like dogs and you want a 5star, then please go elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TravelingBCs

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We usually have to leave our little dog with family when we travel, but with Ocean Villa our dog was welcome & it was great to have a fenced communal dog yard right outside our patio door. The staff was friendly & helpful. Their continental breakfast included hard boiled eggs & bananas, which is a change from just store brought danish, toast & small apples that most places offer & It was easy to fix both my husband & my breakfast & take it to back to our private patio. My husband is handicapped & their only handicap room was occupied, however, he was able to manuver with his walker & wheelchair inside our room. I did have to assist him in the shower & toilet room as walker couldn't fit, but he would still like to go back. Ocean Villa is an older hotel, but it is clean, roomy & great location to doggy beach. The negatives: #1- The terrible mattress (although I was told that they are in the process of replacing all of them, so some rooms have new ones) #2 The bath towels are small & not soft, so next visit I'm taking my own. As others have said, if all you want is luxury, this isn't for you, but if you want a good location in a clean dog friendly hotel with great staff, private patios and well kept garden & pool area, this is the hotel for you. I know that we will now be regular customers.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with a new mattress
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Yvonne M
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Like others have said, if your looking for high end luxury with all the amenities then look somewhere else. If you want a place that really caters to dogs and their owners this is the place.

Its right at the dog beach and has a dog wash on site that they keep stocked with soap and towels for washing your furry family member at the end of a great romp on the beach. They have a dog run right outside the rooms to let them do their buisness. The staff was warm and welcoming and always available for concerns.

This part of San Diego is very dog friendly as well and we found many restraunts and bars that we were not only able to take the dogs in with us but also had treats and water bowls for them as well.

Cons- The matress was terrible!!!! We almost went and purchased an air mattress to put on top instead. If they invested in new mattresses they would pick up another rating from me.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gitnaround
Reviewed 30 January 2013

If your looking for satin sheets & room service it's not the hotel for you ... But if you love your dogs & let them sleep in your bed at home then you will love this place for the sheer fact of its location to dog beach and the peace of mind of having your dogs with you and not left behind in a kennel .... We never leave our dogs home , they are part if the family and ocean villa inn gets that and makes it possible to have a vacation for the whole family !!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Bngbledsoe
Reviewed 29 January 2013

First off, it's not a 5 star... it's a 2 star motel that for the money and location is simply unbeatable. I walked in having just checked out early of another OB hotel and spoke with Lydia at the front desk. She was simply marvelous and I ended up booking two future trips with her. She was very personable, helpful and just plain awesome. She also gave me a wonderful deal for all 3 bookings b/c it's off season. Cannot wait to go back in February!!!!

The Room: Lydia put me up in #30 2nd floor King facing the ocean, the channel, dog beach and dog beach parking lot. The balcony was huge, the people and dog watching superb, the bed was comfortable and the faux fireplace heater was homey. The room has a microwave, mini refrig and coffee maker and although the plumbing fixtures were a little outdated I loved my room and have requested it again on the next trips.

The Hotel: The swimming pool is heated... seriously, it was cold out but the water was very warm! No spa though :( The continental breakfast consisted of toast, bagels, cereal and muffins, HB eggs, juice and coffee.... standard fare for continental..... was craving me some waffles though :) The grounds are clean. The hotel can accommodate pets but you can't get the room I was in if you have animals. Those rooms are all tile and don't have the ocean view that I desire

The Location: It's a little far from the "downtown" OB area but still very walkable. There's plenty of sand and water just outside the motel. There is quite a bit of traffic since Dog Beach is heavily used but I was still able to hear the waves crashing especially at high tide. I could even see the waves over at Mission Beach across the channel.There is a running path a few steps away where both people and animals will entertain you and accompany you.

Because of the price and the the amenities I like... whitewater ocean and lots of things to watch, I will be back again and again. I used to stay at Mission Beach but the vacation rentals start at $140 to stay on the ocean. My stay was half that.... in the summer their rates double at Ocean Villa Inn but then again so does everyone elses...

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: #30 or #31 are 2nd floor closest to the ocean. The views are great!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank jkbarry1
Reviewed 12 December 2012

this place was way overpriced and too dirty, there are other places that are nicer and accept pets, the bed was very uncomfortable and felt like i was sleeping on a worn out box spring without a matress, the heater is a combined wall air conditioner unit so you cannot sleep if it is on, people were fighting and cussing each other. the sliding glass door had a broken security latch. I felt like i was in the Ghetto.

Room Tip: Keep looking for better hotels, they are out there.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at a location in Ocean Beach for five nights.I get the same location, upstairs facing the ocean everytime. The hotel location is great. The staff are friendly and the heated pool is a plus. I have stayed at the Ocean Villa Inn three times before and always found it adequate in terms of the maintenance and upkeep of the room. This time we were disappointed. The shower had little water pressure and two differen knobs making it look broken. The carpet obviously needed a good cleaning as we could walk with clean wet feet across the room and back into the bath we saw how dirty the carpet was. Then we found mouse droppings on the bathroom sink and our belongings. There was evidence they chewed holes in a shirt and sock in our dirty clothes. We told the desk clerk about it and she apologized, saying she would pass this to the manager. We didn't hear anything more. When I checked out I found a credit on the bill for "the two nights" we had a problem. We are both very disappointed and wish the owner would invest more back into the maintenance and upkeep of the rooms.

Room Tip: Still a good place for dog owners
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple