“Fair Price and Comfortable”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area
Ranked #169 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
El Paso, Texas
“Fair Price and Comfortable”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

La quinta Mission Valley was nice, easy access to free way, staff was helpful, rooms were always clean. Arrive early to breakfast because it gets pack during 8am. Swimming pool was not nice, I dont think they clean it often. Location was very nice, fair price, and would go back, if I was on a budget.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We booked for 5 days because we're from Los Angeles, the rooms are too small and have a terrible odor I decided to stay there because the entire group was there, next time I will booked somewhere else where I feel comfortable.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed one Friday night in a 2-queen bed room. The room was clean, the a/c worked fine, the bed was fairly comfortable and the shower was very strong (although not really hot enough for us). Breakfast was typical of this level of motel. The only thing that didn't work well was the WiFi -- free, but slow as molasses.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sf7307
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We had a room with 2 queen beds. With 3 of us but it was a bit tight at times, but the room was updated and the beds and pillows comfy.
The breakfast was good and the location was awesome and so was the price!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I called the hotel directly to book our stay. I was transferred to a 1-800 number and booked my reservations, and gave them my husbands member rewards number. (He works in San Diego and always stays at a LaQuinta close to his work site with no problems) I told the person who booked this stay that we had free nights coming to us, and asked how much my bill was going to be. He said that I would have to find out at the hotel after our stay.

We checked into a suite, and imagine my surprise when there was no door to the bedroom suite. I called the front desk, and they said they don't have any suites with doors on them. The living area was directly through a large doorway, with NO privacy. The musty smelling bathroom is in the bedroom area, so anyone using the bathroom walked through the bedroom. It was also incredibly noisy, plumbing in the walls banging early in the morning, and everyone who walked by the room at night sounded like a herd of buffalo. BUT, we figured, what the heck, we are only here for 3 nights, and it is free so why complain.

While there we needed some extra blankets, and I was told by the front desk they only allow one extra blanket per room. Luckily, she allowed us the extra blanket. The maintenance man was the person who came with our blankets, and helped figure out the fridge. Kudos to him. He was nice.

Upon checkout-I receive a bill for $694.00. ??? REALLY? I informed the man at the desk that my husband had several free nights coming to him as he had almost 100,000 points on his member rewards account. Of course, He said he didn't know anything about the rewards points, and that I had to discuss this with them. I asked for the day manager, and of course, he wasn't present that day. So, my husband calls the number on his card, and they said we had to book through their rewards telephone number. NO ONE TOLD ME THIS WHEN I INITIALLY MADE THE RESERVATIONS AT THE 1-800 NUMBER!!! So, I ended up paying almost $700.00 for a shabby hotel room, with no door, stingy blankets, and a grimy feel. I feel extremely ripped off, and of course, the hotel played stupid. My husband is so mad that he plans on not staying at any LaQuinta again, ever. They may not care about one person (he spends 20 days a month in San Diego), but if this review can help anyone else not make any mistakes staying there, then GOOD! There are several choices in the area- don't stay here!!!

4 Thank jab425
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Our family prefers to stay at La Quinta hotels when traveling as a family. Our kids love to get up early and go to the breakfast room while dad sleeps in. Although, there were a few things about this particular hotel that made the stay a little less enjoyable. First and foremost was the design of the A/C in our room. It was situated under the window and curtains. Therefore, if you needed privacy and the curtains closed, the air didn't successfully make it's way into the room comfortably. If you opened the curtains, the A/C worked better but then you have no privacy. In addition, there was only about 2 feet between the A/C and the first bed. My husband slept next to the A/C wall and froze all night, while I, on the other side of the room in the second bed with our daughter, was miserable. Second, I have to say I'm very disappointed in the amenities (toiletries) in this particular La Quinta. I've stayed at other La Quinta hotels and had no problem with the shampoo, soaps, lotions etc. but this one was by far the worst. All they supplied was hand soap and shampoo. I certainly by no means expect luxurious products but it is always appreciated to have at least certain items available. On this particular trip, I completely forgot my own shampoo so I immediately asked for more when I knew my family would be swimming and then getting ready for a wedding afterwards. Unfortunately this particular shampoo was horrible. It didn't suds up, I felt like it stripped my hair of all moisture and needless to say styling my hair was a nightmare. To make matters worse, my 5 year old daughters hair is even thicker, coarser and less manageable than mine - so yes I cringed at the thought of washing her hair with this stuff. Even my husband who is almost bald and couldn't care less about these things, seemed to be put off at having to use these products. Normally I take all of the unused amenities home as a reminder of everywhere I've travelled and to share with my own house guests. Needless to say, I left all of these products behind. We also had a crazy toilet that would run all night unless you rattled the handle. I didn't figure this trick out until much later. Normally, I'd ask the hotel to fix it but we were short on time. In addition, the fan in the restroom didn't appear to work very well. After showering, the steam would stay in the bathroom for quite a while. Finally, there was an incident with a housekeeper that made us feel very uncomfortable. While eating in the breakfast room, my 12 year old son left to find a restroom. When he wasn't able to find one, he decided to just go back to our room. Once he got there, he realized he didn't have the key, but the housekeeper was down the corridor. So he went up to her and asked if she would let him in to his room. With no hesitation at all, she opened the door and left! Yikes! Did she make it a habit of just opening doors for anyone? What if a stranger has followed my son into his room? When he told us of this later, we were horrified. Overall, I definitely recommend La Quinta hotels but unfortunately I cannot recommend this one. It needs a little updating.

1 Thank Karla J
Whittier, California
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Stayed at the La Qunita Inn Mission Valley with my wife and 2 year old daughter. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. The things that attracted me most to the La Qunita Inn were the over-all price, no charge for parking, free breakfast and the location – Walking distance to a to five different restaurants, 5 mins to Old Town, 10 mins to the Zoo and Sea World, and 5 mins to the Trolley stop at the Fashion Valley Mall (we took the trolley into the downtown/waterfront area)
Our experience - Upon arrive, we were allowed to check in early. The room was clean and modern (during our stay they were replacing the drapes in all the rooms). The room was spacious enough for our needs. The only complaint was the walls are too thin or not well insulated. Every time our neighbors used their shower, we could hear the water rushing through the pipes in the walls. (Lucky for us they didn’t shower that much)
Overall experience was excellent – we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Book early for the best rates