“i was skeptical but pleasantly surprised!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area
Ranked #160 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 young children while we were visiting seaworld and the beach July 27, 28, and 29. I was very hesitant based on several reviews, but I wanted a place that was under or around $200 per night. After booking, I kept telling my husband I was worried I had made a big mistake, and was unsure of what was in store for us. To my surprise, the room was great! We stayed in the building attached to the lobby on the second floor. The room was nice and clean, the a/c worked well, and we were fully supplied with towels and supplies.I turned up the fridge as soon as we got in the room so it would be nice and cold for our cooler food, and it worked out great! We did not have our room cleaned the 2nd day, so we were in need of towels that evening. I went down and asked the front desk, and within 10 minutes, house keeping was at the door with 4 fresh towels. The breakfast is standard, with waffles, hard boiled eggs, raisin bran, fruit loops, and cheerios. There was an assortment of bread and bagles and juice or coffee. As with any continental breakfast, arrive early and avoid the crowds! Before 8 seemed best, after that the crowds became too much. We usually took the food back to our room to eat. All in all, I would stay here again for the price. The beds were comfy, and the room was clean, which to us, is really all that matters. The only complaint I had, was after a sandy, wet day at the beach, we really needed to use the washer and dryer in the laundry area. I was really dissapointed when i found they were out of order for all 3 days. We complained to the front desk, who said that they were too full of quarters and they were waiting for the company to come and empty them.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank amyf604
Stephan B, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Amyf604,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad that you experienced our hospitality. We are redeveloping our breakfast area to enhance the dining experience. I want to apologize for the laundry facilities being inoperable. We are now bringing these facilities under the management of the Hotel in order not to have such an issue arise in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My brother, friend and I stayed here for 4 nights for Comic-Con. It's a good value and was very clean but cons are the location. It's too far to walk to any restaurants and to get to the MTS trolley line. I left like it was a dead zone. Also when checking out the man at the desk told me my card was being declined and I said, "I already paid when arriving, why are you charging my card?" I would not have cared until Chase shut my card off thinking someone stole it because now the bank thought I had 2 charges to a hotel. I had to take care of that mess. I'm glad we spend most of our time camping at the convention center.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Laurie L.,

Thank you for your kinds words regarding our Hotel. I apologize for your experience on check-out and want to assure you that this is not a normal occurrence. There are a number of restaurants less than a half mile walk located adjacent to the shopping mall and am saddened you were not made aware. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience our true hospitality.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here while I attended a conference. Great location to get to most tourist attractions. Beds were good. Staff friendly. AC worked well. Parking is bad. There is an $8 a night fee to park in tiny spaces. My wife hit a column in the garage trying to pull out one night. The cable tv is horrible. Fuzzy and no Disney channel. We had not planned to spend that much time in the room but when one daughter got sick, it was what we had to do. The cartoon network has too much trash on it. Reception was fuzzy. The set up of the breakfast room is bad. I could barely walk to get to food. I have stayed in several lqs and this breakfast room was the worst. A few little things could really make this hotel worth the price.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Monte W

Dear Monte W.,

Thank you for taking the time to review the La Quinta Inn and Suites San Diego. It is through such feedback that we may strive to continually improve our product and service standards. I apologize for your experience with both parking and the breakfast room. We are currently working with our architects to enhance both areas of the Hotel. We appreciate you have a choice of accommodations and thank you for choosing us for your recent stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is not a good place to stay. Avoid it at all costs. First the parking spaces are very narrow. Those of us with full size SUVs are in trouble. Parking is $8/night. Since when do motels charge for parking?
The room they gave me was hot and stuffy when I arrived. The A/C in the bedroom worked, the A/C in the sitting room did not and the fan was extremely loud. I complained and got a different room. The second room smelled heavily of insecticide and guess what, only the bedroom A/C worked. The rates are outrageous and the overall facility appears run down. Oh oh I almost forgot. The pillows on the bed are half size, like throws. I have never seen this before.
They must have booked a family of hippos in the room above me. I can here every footstep from the creaking floor.
If you're coming here, bring a bulldozer and put this place out of it's misery.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank O3720SX
Stephan B, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear David R.

Thank you for taking the time to review the La Quinta Inn and Suites San Diego. It is through such feedback that we may continually strive to improve our product and service standards. I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations. As we move towards becoming a green hotel, we have allocated a greater number of spaces to environmentally friendly vehicles as guest demand has warranted. Although we charge $8 per day for parking, this is less than our neighboring hotels, which range from $10.95 to $22 per day as well as being below most San Diego area hotels. I further apologize that our king sized beds did not meet your requirements. We know you have a choice of accommodations and appreciate your choosing us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great location. Central to all our venues. Awesome front desk staff. Clean and quiet room. King suite room was good size. Breakfast was great with a very nice staff. Very comfy beds. When we checked in there were a lot of cars so I assumed it would be busy and loud. We never ran into anyone in the halls, elevators, or heard anyone walking by our room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Stephan B, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego SeaWorld/Zoo Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Meegan B,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you had a memorable stay and want to thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn and Suites San Diego as your home away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our stay was not what we had expected. The parking lot is very cramped. We have a Ford F150 and it was extremely difficult to menuver the small parking lot and stalls. To turn the corner from the lobby to the parking area we had to back up and go forward a couple of times. All the rows to drive down dead end and is difficult to turn around, and in our case we had to a few times as it was difficult finding a parking stall. The parking stalls were small. The parking is limited and the majority of the parking in underground. The elevator was run down and in need of upgrades and repairs, the floor was broke off on the edges. The rooms were small and the restroom bathtub had body hairs on the tub. The beds were comfortable for the most part. The rooms could use some updating. Overall it felt like they took a small piece of property and tried to make it into a hotel. The hotel is right off of the freeway but we were in the back of the building and there was not a noise issue.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jessica M.,

Thank you for your review. It is through such feedback that we may strive to improve our product and service standards. I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have addressed your concerns with my Team and want to assure you that what you experience is not our normal level of cleanliness associated with the Hotel. We are currently addressing the parking by re-aligning more parking to accommodate the larger vehicles, as we had designed the parking in mind as part of our drive to be environmentally friendly.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very clean, super friendly and helpful staff, PET FRIENDLY!! Great breakfast, including hard boiled eggs, quick response to tub not draining, very friendly maintenance supervisor. Comfortable beds, quiet AC unit. Quiet location, quiet rooms, even with a few dogs barking on my floor (the "dog" floor). Would definately stay here again and would recommend to all friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Christine C.,

Thank you for a fantastic review. I am glad to hear that you found your stay comfortable and our Team friendly. We appreciate you have a choice of accommodations and thank you for choosing to stay with the La Quinta Inn and Suites San Diego.