“Nice but could have been better”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #19 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Pro's: Nice modern hotel, friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed, excellent location- across the street from convention center and restaurants, as a member I got free coffee and bottle water every morning - be sure to sign up for their loyalty program. Also, you will get free wifi only if you are a loyalty member (and it is free to sign up) they also gave us a late check out which we appreciated, in January we had the outdoor hot tub to ourselves several nights in a row so that was really nice and relaxing.

Cons: I requested a quiet room. They gave me a room on the 7th floor directly above the pool where they had loud parties two nights in a row. Avoid this location if you want peace and quiet. I even called the desk when I couldn't sleep because of the parties. They told me it would end at 10 p.m. but it went on till after 11 p.m.

The bathroom was very strange. It is very modern but the problem is that the bathroom is not private at all. The person in the bedroom can hear every single noise that comes out of the bathroom because there are window slats (holes) in the walls and all the sound escapes into the other room. Plus no fan. This is fine if you are traveling alone but very uncomfortable if you have roommates.

Our remote was not working right. A man came to fix it, took the remote and never returned.

The thing that irritated me more than anything was the taxi drivers parked near the hotel. We told the doorman we needed a taxi that accepted credit cards because we did not have cash. So the doorman told the taxi guy this and he waved us in. Then we get to the airport and find out the man hardly speaks English and only accepts cash. I had to find an ATM in the airport and return to the taxi with cash. Meanwhile, he kept the meter running and charged me even more money. I was pissed! Be careful about a situation like this. Make sure you speak directly with the taxi driver before you get in. It appears most taxi's only accept cash.

Room Tip: Become a loyalty member.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Omni San Diego Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2011

If you want to be in the middle of things San Diego, I can't imagine a better place than the Omni San Diego. My wife and I stayed here for a convention. The convention center is across the street. Petco Park where the Padres play is attached to the hotel by a sky bridge and they played every day we were there. The Gaslamp District where all of the restaurants and boutiques are located is just outside of the hotel's front door as is a stop on the local light rail line to take you anywhere you might want to go for a couple of bucks. Hotel amenities are very comfortable and we had a great view of the Bay. There's a McCormicks fish restaurant in the hotel and the gift shop serves Starbucks drinks and has muffins, bagels, and pastries for inexpensive breakfasts. The staff was super nice every day. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bay view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven L
Reviewed 10 June 2011

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews I was a little hesitant to stay at the Omni, but WOW, was I pleasantly surprised! The Omni is a beautiful hotel centrally located between the Convention Center, the Padres Stadium and the Gaslamp District – and just minutes from the airport. This is where I will stay on future trips to San Diego!

I stayed in a corner room on the 12th floor (1204) for two nights. The room was small, but beautifully appointed. I loved the fact that the room had four large windows that overlooked the Padres Stadium, Coronado Bridge and the Pacific Ocean. However, the room was surprisingly quiet and peaceful.

I didn’t eat at the hotel restaurant, McCormick & Schmidt’s, but I did go downstairs each morning to the Starbucks – very convenient. There are small coffee makers in the room if you prefer.

Every staff member I encountered was polite, friendly and helpful.

The pool and gym are on the 6th floor. I used the gym twice – it was very clean and well appointed with new equipment and weights as well as hand towels, disinfecting wipes, headphones, and bottle water. The pool area is very elegant – loved the padded lounges and drink service.

Make sure to sign up for the Omni Select loyalty program – it’s free and includes lots of freebies such as free internet, bottled water, late check out, etc.

What to know
• 5 minutes from airport
• Very contemporary décor in rooms
• Pedestal sink in bathroom / shelves on either side
• Dozens of amazing restaurants within walking distance
• Walkway connecting the hotel to the Padres Stadium
• Freight train line is near hotel, so you may hear a train horn in the middle of the night
• Valet parking is $35 per night

Room Tip: Ask for corner room facing ocean
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank magluvstravel
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at The Omni for several nights in December 2010. I was there on business and spent a lot of time in the hotel's ballroom and meeting rooms attending various events. While the hotel is lovely, well-maintained and nicely located in San Diego, the constant noise from the train and Convention Center made it impossible for me to sleep, even with the earplugs provided by the hotel. This made for an unpleasant stay.

My room looked directly onto the train tracks and Convention Center, with views of the Bay beyond. I thought it was a little odd that the hotel had placed ear plugs on the bedside table, but when I tried to go to sleep that first night, I realized the problem quickly. The train goes by regularly, even at night, blasting its horn the whole way. I was woken up repeatedly, which made for a very poor night's sleep. Then, starting at about 6am, a large crowd assembled outside the Convention Center, cheering and shouting (who knew you could get so excited about a convention starting in the wee hours?!). It was ridiculous. I got practically no sleep. The Omni really should have done a better job of soundproofing these rooms. In their current state, I could not recommend them to anyone. I don't know if the noise level is this bad in other parts of the hotel, but if you must stay here, definitely request a room that faces the Gaslamp and not the Convention Center.

The noise is a shame, because pretty much every other aspect of my stay at The Omni was positive. The hotel is nicely updated and looks lovely. Check-in was quick and easy. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Food at the McCormick's restaurant in the lobby was good. Meeting facilities in and around the ballroom were great. The proximity to the Gaslamp is wonderful-- we were able to get out to nice dinners either on foot or via a short cab ride. I imagine this would be a great place to stay during baseball season, as well, given that the hotel has a footbridge that will take you directly to Petco Park. However, none of these positive items could make up for the fact that I spent several weary nights just trying to get a little sleep and being constantly disturbed by the noise. It's a big problem and I wouldn't stay here again as a result.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room facing the Convention Center!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin74
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Just stayed at the Omni during Memorial Day weekend May 27-30th and had a great time. Conveniently located in the gaslamp district across Petco Park. The only negative is they have a "late night menu" that restricts your options for room service. Valet is expected at $30.00+ a day like most downtown locations. Me being from Chicago area our hotels have similar rates. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I've been a big fan of Omni Hotels for some time and The Omni San Diego only reinforced my feelings! From the reception desk to housekeeping and room service, this hotel is a class act. I've been a Select Guest (the Omni's loyalty program) for many years and it is a wonderful program--free WIFI, complimentary morning beverage service delivered to your room at the time you request, room upgrades, complimentary clothes pressing and shoe shines, too. I can't say enough good things about this hotel--I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We spent three nights here on our southern california road trip holiday it was a fantastic location, great staff and we had a great deal that included parking and breakfast each day.

This is the second Omni we have stayed in and have had great experiences both times.

We went to the baseball and it was great as it was so close and had it's own access bridge so we didn't have to deal with any of the crowds.

It was easy access to bars and resturants in the Gas Lamp Quater, some hotels in the area seemed to be on streets that didn't look too safe at night so we were very happy with the location as we hadn't been there before and some of the hotels we considered seemed to be in some sketchy blocks. The conceirge gave us fantastic resturant recommendations every night.

Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple