“Great service, great location, exceeded expectations”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #14 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Austin, TX
“Great service, great location, exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Exceptional service from all the staff at the hotel!

I checked in and they didn't have a room immediately available (it was the weekend of the Rock & Roll Marathon and they said they had a lot of late check-outs). Even though they said the wait would be less than an hour, I explained that my plane was late and I had to prepare for a meeting with two of my company's VPs , so they upgraded me to a suite with a bedroom, very large bathroom, and separate sitting area with sofa and chairs. Nice! Thanks!!

The suite worked out really well, I ended up holding several meetings in my hotel room over the course of the week. The flat-screen TV in the sitting area is driven by a VGA cable so I was able to plug in my laptop and run powerpoint presentations on the 42" TV while the VPs were sitting comfortably on the sofa.

If you are thinking of using the suite to share between multiple people it might not work - the room's thermostat is in the sitting area but the AC vent is in the bedroom so if you have the door between the sitting area and bedroom closed, then the sitting area gets hot and the bedroom gets cold. But if you don't mind having the door between the sleeping area and the sitting area open then it's no big deal.

Location is across the street from the convention center but if your conference is in the higher-lettered halls (D, E, F, G) then you are actually closer to the convention at the Omni than at the other hotel that is actually attached to the convention center.

The hotel is connected to the baseball stadium and I arrived just as a game was about to start. Taxi drivers know how to deal with the traffic but if you are driving your own car you might want to call the hotel to ask where to go.

This hotel has done the right thing with their restaurant and instead of trying to establish some lame own-brand restaurant in the hotel, they brought in a high-end franchise (McCormick & Schmick's) to run their restaurant/bar area. We were thoroughly impressed with the restaurant and the service from our server Alison and the other staff. I reviewed it separately here:

Concierges were great, check-out was as easy as check-in and again great service from all the staff.

1 Thank marcgr
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, including McCormick & Schmick's restaurant, and are hopeful of your return in the future.

Best regards,

Tom Kermabon
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed here in early June for 2 nights for business. Upon checking in, I asked for a room on a high floor. The room I received was facing the bay and was incredible. It was quiet and had all of the normal amenities of a nice hotel. I travel 50-60 nights per year and this hotel was one of the nicest, well maintained I have seen in some time. The location is outstanding. The Gaslamp district AND Petco Park are literally out the front door. I had no issue with noise like some of the other posts. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting San Diego. Thank you for the feedback and for taking the time to share it. We are hopeful to have the chance to welcome you back to the Omni San Diego Hotel.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My first visit to this hotel was on "Good Friday" to see the Phillies & Padres play.
The OMNI staff was fantastic. I shared emails with them before my stay and felt very welcome when my family checked into the hotel. The Valet parking staff were very couretous and gave us dining tips for the "Old Town Area" which is around the corner from the hotel.

For the true baseball fan visting San Diego the OMNI is the place to stay. Firstly, the visting MLB teams all stay at this hotel which is attached directly to PETCO Park by the 4th floor pedestrian bridge. On our Sat. departure, after breakfast in the hotel lobby,
we were fortunate to meet up with the Phillies Manager & some of the players.

Book your stay through OMNI's website with the "All American Baseball Package" .
This package included the Valet parking, (2) tickets to the baseball game, $40.00 in dining credits at McCormick & Schmidt (Lobby location) and some Apple Pie and beverages delivered to your room.

Start your baseball visit with a behind's the scene tour of PETCO park both of the guides gave our group a terrific tour . It was a great bargain at only $12.00.

For the Sports Bar fans, go to "Bubs" around the corner and next to PETCO Park,
you might even meet your favorite teams sports stars as we did. The service was quick and the prices were moderate.

Room Tip: Use the Omni website & Talk to the Conceriege.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank IrvineBeary
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your Baseball Package stay with us and look forward to your return in the future.

Best regards,

Tom Kermabon
Director of Operations
Boise, ID
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Pro's: Nice modern hotel, friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed, excellent location- across the street from convention center and restaurants, as a member I got free coffee and bottle water every morning - be sure to sign up for their loyalty program. Also, you will get free wifi only if you are a loyalty member (and it is free to sign up) they also gave us a late check out which we appreciated, in January we had the outdoor hot tub to ourselves several nights in a row so that was really nice and relaxing.

Cons: I requested a quiet room. They gave me a room on the 7th floor directly above the pool where they had loud parties two nights in a row. Avoid this location if you want peace and quiet. I even called the desk when I couldn't sleep because of the parties. They told me it would end at 10 p.m. but it went on till after 11 p.m.

The bathroom was very strange. It is very modern but the problem is that the bathroom is not private at all. The person in the bedroom can hear every single noise that comes out of the bathroom because there are window slats (holes) in the walls and all the sound escapes into the other room. Plus no fan. This is fine if you are traveling alone but very uncomfortable if you have roommates.

Our remote was not working right. A man came to fix it, took the remote and never returned.

The thing that irritated me more than anything was the taxi drivers parked near the hotel. We told the doorman we needed a taxi that accepted credit cards because we did not have cash. So the doorman told the taxi guy this and he waved us in. Then we get to the airport and find out the man hardly speaks English and only accepts cash. I had to find an ATM in the airport and return to the taxi with cash. Meanwhile, he kept the meter running and charged me even more money. I was pissed! Be careful about a situation like this. Make sure you speak directly with the taxi driver before you get in. It appears most taxi's only accept cash.

Room Tip: Become a loyalty member.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

If you want to be in the middle of things San Diego, I can't imagine a better place than the Omni San Diego. My wife and I stayed here for a convention. The convention center is across the street. Petco Park where the Padres play is attached to the hotel by a sky bridge and they played every day we were there. The Gaslamp District where all of the restaurants and boutiques are located is just outside of the hotel's front door as is a stop on the local light rail line to take you anywhere you might want to go for a couple of bucks. Hotel amenities are very comfortable and we had a great view of the Bay. There's a McCormicks fish restaurant in the hotel and the gift shop serves Starbucks drinks and has muffins, bagels, and pastries for inexpensive breakfasts. The staff was super nice every day. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bay view.
1 Thank Steven L
california
Reviewed 10 June 2011

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews I was a little hesitant to stay at the Omni, but WOW, was I pleasantly surprised! The Omni is a beautiful hotel centrally located between the Convention Center, the Padres Stadium and the Gaslamp District – and just minutes from the airport. This is where I will stay on future trips to San Diego!

I stayed in a corner room on the 12th floor (1204) for two nights. The room was small, but beautifully appointed. I loved the fact that the room had four large windows that overlooked the Padres Stadium, Coronado Bridge and the Pacific Ocean. However, the room was surprisingly quiet and peaceful.

I didn’t eat at the hotel restaurant, McCormick & Schmidt’s, but I did go downstairs each morning to the Starbucks – very convenient. There are small coffee makers in the room if you prefer.

Every staff member I encountered was polite, friendly and helpful.

The pool and gym are on the 6th floor. I used the gym twice – it was very clean and well appointed with new equipment and weights as well as hand towels, disinfecting wipes, headphones, and bottle water. The pool area is very elegant – loved the padded lounges and drink service.

Make sure to sign up for the Omni Select loyalty program – it’s free and includes lots of freebies such as free internet, bottled water, late check out, etc.

What to know
• 5 minutes from airport
• Very contemporary décor in rooms
• Pedestal sink in bathroom / shelves on either side
• Dozens of amazing restaurants within walking distance
• Walkway connecting the hotel to the Padres Stadium
• Freight train line is near hotel, so you may hear a train horn in the middle of the night
• Valet parking is $35 per night

Room Tip: Ask for corner room facing ocean
1 Thank magluvstravel
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed at The Omni for several nights in December 2010. I was there on business and spent a lot of time in the hotel's ballroom and meeting rooms attending various events. While the hotel is lovely, well-maintained and nicely located in San Diego, the constant noise from the train and Convention Center made it impossible for me to sleep, even with the earplugs provided by the hotel. This made for an unpleasant stay.

My room looked directly onto the train tracks and Convention Center, with views of the Bay beyond. I thought it was a little odd that the hotel had placed ear plugs on the bedside table, but when I tried to go to sleep that first night, I realized the problem quickly. The train goes by regularly, even at night, blasting its horn the whole way. I was woken up repeatedly, which made for a very poor night's sleep. Then, starting at about 6am, a large crowd assembled outside the Convention Center, cheering and shouting (who knew you could get so excited about a convention starting in the wee hours?!). It was ridiculous. I got practically no sleep. The Omni really should have done a better job of soundproofing these rooms. In their current state, I could not recommend them to anyone. I don't know if the noise level is this bad in other parts of the hotel, but if you must stay here, definitely request a room that faces the Gaslamp and not the Convention Center.

The noise is a shame, because pretty much every other aspect of my stay at The Omni was positive. The hotel is nicely updated and looks lovely. Check-in was quick and easy. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Food at the McCormick's restaurant in the lobby was good. Meeting facilities in and around the ballroom were great. The proximity to the Gaslamp is wonderful-- we were able to get out to nice dinners either on foot or via a short cab ride. I imagine this would be a great place to stay during baseball season, as well, given that the hotel has a footbridge that will take you directly to Petco Park. However, none of these positive items could make up for the fact that I spent several weary nights just trying to get a little sleep and being constantly disturbed by the noise. It's a big problem and I wouldn't stay here again as a result.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room facing the Convention Center!
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business