“Pretty good, expected more with Omni name. Don't valet”

Ranked #18 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Nice hotel, just with the Omni name you would expect updated simple features like flat screen tv's in the rooms with remotes that actually worked. Only other "complaint" was when you or your neighbors ran the water you could hear it very loudly in walls between the rooms/bathrooms. Staff was very friendly and approachable. Save your self $35 a night if you need to valet and park literally across the street in the same garage at the "Parkade". Enter off 6th Ave between K and L streets. Never seemed to pay a flat rate but I paid $21 for a Friday night, $16- Saturday night, $11 for Sunday and $16 for Monday [Padres game]. But it was in the same garage Omni valets use which is very clean and well lit. The onsite bar and store with snack items and drinks is the normal over priced so walk out a few blocks to Gas Lamp to the other bars or to the CVS up the street if you need snacks/drinks to bring back to the room.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frawgdawg26

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We were so excited to stay at a Omni Hotel, but the experience was horribly disappointing. I booked the room on Priceline. The cost per night at the Omni was almost double compared to the other hotels in the area (Hyatt, Hilton, etc.) So, of course, we expected a top of the line experience. Well, lesson learned.......more $ doesn't mean better!!!!!!!!!!

When I booked it on Priceline, it didn't give me a preference for bed size. I immediately called Omni and was told a note would be made in the reservation for a king size bed. I told her we were a couple and definitely didn't want to end up with 2 double beds. She assured me those things are taken into consideration during check in and the hotel was not at full capacity for the weekend (2 days prior.) I told her I wanted to be sure and she said it would be no problem at all. I asked her if it might help if we checked in early, she said it wasn't necessary, but we could.

With that in mind, we left home early and arrived at noon so we didn't sleep in separate beds all weekend. May checked us in and when she handed us the key I asked if it was a king bed. She said no, it was a room with 2 doubles. I told her there should be a note in our reservation for a king size bed. She said there was, but the hotel was at max capacity and it couldn't be done. I told her I spoke with someone who told me it wouldn't be a problem. She apologized and said there was nothing she could do. After explaining that I did all I could do to ensure a king size bed (even showing up 3 hours before check in.) I told her I didn't understand if notes were taken into consideration and most people hadn't checked in for the day how a room with a king size bed wasn't available. She said she had a room for us.

We were given a room by the elevator, across the hall from the ice machine. The room was small, definitely dated, even with a console TV. I would rate the Hyatt and Hilton a 10 compared to a 4 at the Omni. I was woken up several times during a late afternoon nap by the loud banging of the pipes on the wall next to the bed. It seemed every time someone in a neighboring room turn off the water, flushed the toilet, etc. the pipes would bang. After numerous attempts to go back to sleep, I finally went downstairs and asked to speak with a manager.

Luis, the manager said the hotel isn't the "new kid on the block" anymore and the plumbing old. I asked if we can change rooms to one that didn't have the plumbing sounds. He told me the hotel was full. He said he would be happy to change rooms for us the next day and he would send engineering up in the meantime. I also told him the trouble I had at check in and he said "We only guarantee bed preferences for OUR GUESTS! Not reservations made by a third party company." I'm pretty sure Omni authorized selling rooms to PRICELINE, EXPEDIA, etc. and received compensation for it, so wouldn't that make us THEIR GUESTS?!?!?!?

Luis asked me to make sure all our belongings were packed in the morning and when we came back from sightseeing to check in at the front desk for our new keys. He said our belongings will be moved to our new room by the hotel and there will be a voucher for McCormicks for us at the front desk for our trouble.

Well, when we got back to the hotel the next afternoon, we went to the front desk. The girl had not idea what we were talking about, I had to explain the whole situation to her. She found an available room for us and gave us the keys. She asked us if we still had our old keys because WE needed to go back and move our things to the new room! There was no voucher for McCormicks.

We went to our old room, carried our luggage to the new room. The key didn't work. Housekeeping was in the hallway and we showed her our keys. She used her master key to open up the door for us and we walked in on a woman who wasn't quite dressed!! We had to go back downstairs and was given another room.

Guess what?!? Despite of what Luis said about the dated plumbing being the same in all the rooms, there was NO loud banging of the pipes in the new room. Although it was the same small dated room with a console TV. All in all, I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Omni Hotel. Their customer service/satisfaction was horrible. They feel people who make reservations on Priceline are NOT their customers and even the manager can't follow through on his promises to rectify things.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank califdreamin88
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear "camomf4,"

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review. After considering your thoughtful feedback and because I do not yet have information regarding your reservation, it would be impossible to effectively address all of the issues you've raised via this forum. I would very much like to speak with you, at a time most convenient for you, so that I may learn the specifics of your reservation details and room assignments, apologize, and attempt to find an acceptable way to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. I'd like to conduct a thorough review of the issues you experienced related to your reservation, arrival experience, plumbing, management's response, a lack of communication, problematic room keys, and more.

Knowing what I do about your experience, what I can say is that it is definitely our goal to anticipate and exceed the expectations of all of our guests, regardless of how they book their reservations. You obviously did not depart our hotel with confidence in our operations and we are very disappointed in that outcome, most certainly.

With regards to the reservation process, and as you are aware, there are restrictions that guests need to consider when deciding to use a "third party company" like Priceline, such as non-refundable pre-payment and no bed type guarantees. Depending on business demands and what promotions we are running, we can see dozens of rooms reserved in a single day, for that same day of business; it is literally impossible to accurately predict what availability we will have on a given date, what rates we will offer, what room types will exist, etc. Rarely are we not able to find a suitable outcome when trying to cater to the requests we receive on a daily basis from all our guests, yet it does happen from time to time when specific room/bed type inventories are exhausted; that can be understandably difficult for guests to accept as they may be assigned to rooms that are not as desirable, regardless of their time of arrival to the hotel or recorded number of requests made. Sometimes guests can even interpret the implementation of said third party restrictions as a hotel's unwillingness to accommodate their request. Rest assured we wish we could meet each and every one of our guests' requests, everyday of the year, yet sometimes difficult decisions must be made. Only certain members of our loyalty program, the Select Guest program, are afforded unrestricted access to room and bed types regardless of business levels. I can't help but wonder if that message was Luis' intended response the night you approached him with your many valid concerns. If I am fortunate enough to learn more about your reservation, I will also want to follow up with the reservation agent who said "it would be no problem at all" to get into a room with a King bed.

I look forward to hopefully having a chance to discuss this matter with you in the spirit of rebuilding your trust in our hotel. Thank you again for your feedback.

Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations
(619) 645-6530
email: tkermabon@omnihotels.com

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I am a gold member of the Omni. I stayed for business 17-19 June at the San Diego Hotel. Their services were not up to my usual experience. When I arrived, there were problems with the television. They sent a technician to service the problem, but he said that it was not possible to address the issue. It was a problem with the "older" television. I contacted the front desk. They were friendly, but they said that due to a a hotel wide computer problem they could not address any concerns until this was fixed. I decided to wait until the next day. They sent a second technician after I called them again the next day. They were unaware that I had an issue, so I explained it again, eventually having to appeal my case to the manager. In time, they eventually addressed the issue (and comped me a few dollars for the inconvenience). But, the usual great service I have generally expected from the Omni was just not there. For example, they regularly deliver the paper and they forgot this. I called again and they said that this was not a regular part of this service until I reminded them that I was a gold member and had requested this before I came. They apologized and then eventually sent me a paper. The room was adequate, but lacked good organization. I had to look around for a place to plug in the coffeemaker. The carpet was older. Room was drab. On the positive side, the view was indeed nice, but for the extra price they charged me for the view I expected this. I likely won't stay here again given the many excellent options available in San Diego. I wondered, at the end, why anyone would want to accumulate points at the Omni. There is not much point to it. They need substantial encouragement to provide top quality service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
tkermabon, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review which we discovered yesterday, June 17, 2 days prior to your scheduled date of departure. I was sorry to learn first from our Duty Manager reports and then via your TripAdvisor review of the issues you've encountered thus far during your stay. Please accept our apologies for a member of our Engineering team not being able to swiftly resolve a problem with your television related to the closed caption display, followed by a problem with your newspaper delivery and apparent lackluster response to your inquiry about it. I can empathize with you and would also probably be asking myself if the benefits of enrolling in Omni's Select Guest loyalty program were worth the trouble, based upon your experience thus far.

We are in the process of investigating where exactly the issues began, in the spirit of continuous improvement, so we can work to prevent similar occurrences in the future. It is my understanding that this matter was resolved to your satisfaction by our Front Office Manager when it was brought to his attention yesterday. Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any assistance whatsoever.

Thank you again for informing us of the problems you've encountered. We're focused on making the remainder of your stay as enjoyable as expected.

Best regards,
Thomas Kermabon
Director of Operations

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Came down for a conference at the Convention Center, this is definitely one of the most convenient locations to get to it. It’s only about a 5 min walk across the street….and steps away from the Gaslamp Quarter. We had some minor issues within the first few days but they were quickly resolved and the management went above & beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. McCormick & Schmick’s is the restaurant in the lobby and the food - and happy hour - are both great!

The rooms are comfortable, with all the usual amenities you’ve come to expect at an Omni. A mini fridge is also available upon request. The gym is great – never felt crowded – and they had fresh fruit and magazines available.

The pool area is great for relaxing and the pool bar/lounge area is great to grab a quick bite to eat or a few drinks. The customer service was great. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, away from elevator & ice machine, with bay view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2012

If you are looking for a warm hotel, the Omni is the place to go.

I arrived San Diego for a conference through a 20 travel by air - 6 hours, a 2 hour transit wait, then 12 hours. I arrived this blessed hotel at about 9pm. Check-in took about 30 seconds and the lady was marvelous - warm and friendly.

The room (regular double) was large, clean and luxurious. I particularly loved the pillows - plush, so soft and get you sleeping in a minute-and-a-half! The bathroom is spacious, well supplied and always smells fresh. Even though the hotel is very close to the Trolley (train) service, it was very quiet and calm. The TV is quite old fashioned though...

I asked for room service a couple of times - it came up very quickly, the food was good and the delivery very friendly.

Staff were generally friendly - always helpful - always with a smile on the face and a greeting on the lips. I noticed a couple of families and they all seemed to be having a great time.

The concierge - absolutely wonderful. If it's your first time in San Diego, you are in good, safe hands. They recommend where to catch fun, go shopping, get good food and the cheapest, quickest way around town.

Check-out was snappy - in 30 seconds it was over. I was asked if I'd needed a taxi. Someone was at the reception to help me to the taxi with my bags.

My colleague attending the same conference was envious as he wasn't getting this kind of service at his own hotel. I spent 5 nights and everyday was a pleasant experience with different staff so I think it must be their culture.

It was my first stay at the Omni - and I'm sure going back - this time, with my family! God bless you, Omni!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Usually stay at the Westin Gaslamp. Due to construction we tried a new place. Omni is the new place to stay. Better beds, better bathrooms, better rooms. Omni is onimy list as the place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have good view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Great location, great service, the upgraded us to a junior suite with a great view of the Coronado Bridge. The products they put in the room are excellent quaility (shampoo conditioner soap etc). If you join the OMNI club they deliver to your room each morning 2 beverages per person per day (no alcohol) Water, Coffee Tea or juice. Waht a great service saved us money on buying water during the day. Great location can walk to the gaslamp district for dinner or drinks.

Room Tip: request a bay view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple