“Great location for fun family in San Diego”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #23 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Omni Hotel in San Diego is a perfect hotel for families and visitors wanting the ultimate San Diego experience. The hotel is located on the edge of the popular Gaslamp Districe which offers a wide variety of shops and restaurants just a stones throw from the front door. Closely situated down by the waterfront, The Omni offers views of the Coronado Bay Bridge and the San Diego bay. It is adjacent to Petco Park where the Padres play baseball just across the hotel bridge with exclusive access for hotel guests.
The hotel pool and jacuzzi are nicely taken care of and the poolside lunch service is quite good.
The hotel gym is efficiently appointed and room service includes great food at prices more than most hotels we have stayed at in recent memory. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable as well.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a view of the Coronado Bay Bridge!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Vixvegas
Write a ReviewReviews (4,650)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We reserved a room for two nights using our airline points. I had reserved a room with a king size bed however upon check in was told that they did not have any available. This was the first vacation my wife and I have taken without our children so I was not happy that my reservation was not properly honored. I was told that the next day a room with a king size bed would be available and we could move. So we went up to our room with two double beds and found that it was two floors above a patio area that was being used by a wedding party that night. To say the least I was not happy about the noise. My wife and I decided to go out for a few drinks and we returned later in the evening deciding to go swimming and use the hot tub. I checked the hotel information booklet regarding the pool operation hours. It mentioned that the exercize area is open 24 hours but made no additional mention of the pool hours. We headed down to the pool, which by the way we made our way through the front part of the room were the wedding reception was happening to be stopped by hotel staff saying the pool closes at 10pm. I told them that their booklet made no mention of a closing time but we were not allowed to use the pool or hot tub. At this point we decided to call it a night. The next morning I confirmed with the front desk that a king size bed room would be available and was told we would be moved during the day. We headed out to spend the day at the San Diego Zoo which was an excellent experience. Upon our return to the Omni we were informed that we had been moved to the king size bed room on the 20th floor. After entering the room we noticed the size of the room was much smaller than the previous room. Also the TV was an older tube style instead of the plasma flat screen in the other room. Also our view was of the city which was ok. I was hoping they would give us a room with a better view. We did eat at McCormick & Schmicks restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Both times the service and quality of food was excellent. This was probably the best part of our stay at the hotel. As for the location the hotel is right next to Petco park home of the Padres baseball team. It's super busy when a game is on which we found out during our arrival for check in. We did walk around a bit during our stay and the hotel is close to the strip of bars/restaurants and other shops. I'm not sure if I would stay here again based on our experience here. The staff were all very friendly however I have a feeling that because we used airline points to book the stay that we were treated as 'second class' guests. Also the valet parking was $35 per day which I thought was a little steep.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very friendly, requested and received a bay facing window. Great service. Everyone was so nice. The concierges were especially helpful and friendly.

Our room is right in front of the barge for the fireworks. We ordered hot chocolate and desert. The fireworks went off right in front of our room! (since there was the year of the "Big Bust" they went off all at once, but we did see them!)

Great location, walking distance to convention center, ferry to Coronado, Seaport Village, Gaslamp, Horton Plaza, Midway Museum, and lots of great restaurants.

We took a taxi from the airport ($20 after tip) and used bikes and pedal taxis. Taxis are readily available and the train stop is right in front of the hotel. Considering the price of a rental car and the price of parking this was a much more affordable option.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This Omni is up to the standard that you expect from this chain. Their check-in procedure is second to none for returning guests which can save a lot of time and aggravation during peak periods. (I travel 150+ days a year and appreciate this!) The hotel is connected to PETCO Park and is across the street from the Convention Center, so if you're attending anything at either of these venues, this hotel is a great choice.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, include that in your reservation.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. I spent 5 nights, my first night was a Saturday night. My room was on the 8th floor on the side that the Hard Rock Cafe was across the street. IT WAS SO OBNOXIOUS! I called the front desk twice and although there wasn't much they could do about the resturant turned night club they promised me it would be over by 1:30am and it was only Friday and Saturday nights that it was like that. It was all true but for a few hours I was in hell after a 6 hour flight. So just be sure to request AWAY from the Hardrock!
Everything else was clean and comfortable the bathroom was perfect with lots of space and shelves for my things. The bed was FANTASTIC! Gym was great and the pool deck was a great bonus. It is in walking distance (3 mins) from the convention center which was perfect!
The staff was very helpful and they offered great discounts for things like the Zoo and Padres games (field is connected to hotel!) which I took advantage of. I would stay again and def reccomend!

Room Tip: be sure to request AWAY from the Hardrock and as high up as possible. The street noise is loud at ti...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank guy12354
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The rooms were very nice and clean. The staff went overboard to make us feel appreciated and make us happy. Parking was expensive, but we soon learned we could park somewhere else for less. We had one fold-out bed and one king bed because we had an extra room with a couch and extra TV. The king bed was great. We fought over it every night because the fold-out bed was lumpy. I slept fine on it, though. Honestly, the king bed could accomodate two children and two adults because it is so big. They brought a refrigerator to our room at our request for no extra charge. They had a bottle of wine sent to our room the first night and milk and cookies for our children. We stayed there for seven nights. I was a little sad to leave. The workout facilities and pool were nice, also. It was close to all the downtown, lots of restaurants, and lots of things to do.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kbdonohue
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had a short but sweet stay at the Omni Hotel in San Diego. The room was gorgeous and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The location was awesome.

The best part of the hotel is the pool area. It's beautiful and I wish I could have stayed longer.

The only drawback was some noise from the
ballpark and the train at night. I didn't mind it though. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2012