“Not a good stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #14 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Not a good stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed for 2 nights. The rooms are very nice, but the experience was bad because of the poor service. The first morning at 7 am much to my surprise there was no hot water. I later found out this had already been going on for 24 hours, and the hotel could have warned me about the problem at check-in but did not do so.

After I left I found out the hotel had placed a $150 hold on my credit card account at check-in for incidentals. It was then not released immediately even though I didn't spend any extra money. Although I realize this is a practice at some hotels, they could have at least had the courtesy to warn me when I checked in, which they did not do.

Finally, I was traveling for a meeting and knew there should be an information packet for me when I checked in. I repeatedly asked about it, and was given incorrect information about it several times ("It's in your room." It was not. "No one left anything for you." They did), and only the next day did they deliver the packet.

Although the manager did comp me $50 at McCormick and Schmick's for dinner because of the problems, I would rather have had an honest and well-run hotel experience than the $50.

The trains that roll by all night are also noisy, but fortunately I was on a high floor. I would avoid staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor or on the north or east sides or you will hear constant noise all night from th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Darren G
ColleenOmni, Manager at Omni San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Darren G.
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your time with us. The hot water shortage was unexpected and did not affect the entire building. I do apologize that you were in one of the affected rooms and that we were unable to notify you sooner.
Regarding the charge to your credit card for incidentals, you are correct. This is an industry practice but you should by all means have been notified at check-in. We take guest feedback very seriously and will share this review with our team as an opportunity to improve our service.
I will also follow up with the staff regarding your missing meeting materials.
I can assure you this is not a typical guest experience with us and I am sorry you had a disappointing stay.
Colleen Anderson
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed for two nights and three days with my child and mom for Thanks giving. It was beyond my expectation!!! our room was on the 18th floor overlooking the ocean, super clean, comfortable and spacious. The location was walking distance to the happening downtown and restaurants. The service was EXCELLENT !!! We felt very special. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Brea, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Fantastic location and service. The convenience of the trolley line and Gaslamp were great. The room was wonderful and the strawberries and champagne for our anniversary were the frosting on the cake. I would definitely return and recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Modesto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I researched and researched all hotels in San Diego. I have picky tastes. I am a Four Seasons kinda guy. You can't beat the location. It is near the airport, steps from Gaslamp and 10 minutes to Fashion Valley mall. Everyone from valet, bellman, to front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Valet gives you water every morning. Beds were soft and comfortable. Great views from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Once again, I had an amazing stay at the Omni while in San Diego visiting family for Thanksgiving. The staff are so nice and the room was clean and comfortable. I had the pool almost entirely to myself, and enjoyed the warm San Diego weather. I wouldn't stay anywhere else but the Omni!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Glendale, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great location! Great service! Would stay there again in a heartbeat. We went to celebrate my birthday, and the staff went out of their way to make my trip extra special. We were upgraded to a suite without asking. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Pismo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel always delivers in service, comfort, and convenience. Location is fantastic. Walk to everything or hop on the trolley which is steps away. Rooms are well appointed with very nice amenities. Employees are awesome. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo